All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
GameBreaker
join:2014-07-12

GameBreaker

Wireless Issues

Hello everyone I am new to the forums but not to tech forums in general. I just had some questions about a new router I have bought and some potential issues that may be solvable. Ok so I will tell you what I have tried so far on the WR841Nv9 factory reset, disable wmm, make sure signal strength is on high, and check the wan settings. Everything seems to be working and if I am wired through the router or directly through the tm722g modem since I am getting full 58mbps from Comcast. But on wifi just one room away after a factory reset I get 42mbps then an hour later if just one person or 2 is lightly using the wifi my speed goes down to 12-15mbps. However this whole time my wired connection is 58 mbps. Any ideas or should I return it because I just got it a few days ago.

Hard Harry7
join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

Sounds like one of the clients is dragging the network down to B. Do you have any devices that running Wifi B?

What are your wireless settings set to? And what devices are you connecting. See page 44 of manual below to check.

»www.tp-link.com/resource ··· 0905.pdf
GameBreaker

GameBreaker

Hey thanks for the quick response. I thought about it but cant think of any B devices. Here are some uploaded images from my routers settings page.
»prntscr.com/42083k
»prntscr.com/42089n

Hard Harry7
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

You might try disabling short GI. In theory it is supposed to increase throughput, but if you have interference in the area, it can actually reduce the routers ability to cope and thus lower throughput.

Other then that, after the factory reset, try to keep a eagle eye on the wireless status. See if it changes rates, or resets or etc. And does the problem resolve with a reboot, or only a factory reset?

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin to GameBreaker

MVM

to GameBreaker
Leave WMM enabled. You are likely suffering from wireless interference from your neighbors. Get a copy of InSSIDer or Netstumbler and do a survey of your area. Set your router to the channel (1, 6, or 11) with the least amount of activity. If you really need fast wireless, then you will have to upgrade to a simultaneous dual-band router and get devices or adapters that will allow you to take advantage of the 5ghz spectrum.
GameBreaker

GameBreaker

I live in the suburbs with little networks around me. My router is next to my modem and my printer and my computer but it has always been there.

Hard Harry7
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

Not sure what else to say. Need more data to troubleshoot the problem. You might try the shotgun approach and buy a new router. Or if your tech savvy, try going 3rd party firmware. The fact that its fast and then slows down after a factory reset tells me either the config file is become corrupted, or something is changing between time it is fast and time it is slow. Its a matter of finding out what.
GameBreaker

GameBreaker

Rebooting does not work only factory resetting. It almost seems like its allocating the bandwidth intentionally without qos even enabled. I am comfortable with Linux and openwrt but don't know if it will void the warrenty.