All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
nivu889
join:2014-07-12

nivu889

[Internet] Severe PL+30%. Need closure.

Ok so here's the rundown of this job I just left. I lost. I hate losing. Someone help me out here.

Tech call, INTMT HSD. Was on the job helping another tech as my day was over.

Start by checking signals.

DOCSIS gave us a 43/-3. MER/BER both pass and 1.09-E both pre and post.

We begin walking the network. Tap is good, drop was arial to underground. No chew, nearly a brand new RG-11 drop. Hits the house clean and runs to a grounded 2way. One leg is terminated, the other runs into prem, hits another 2w. One leg feeds HDSETTOP the other feeds D3 Arris MTA.

We went through 3 modems, continually getting strange provisioning codes from dispatch, and not being able to pull levels from the modem.

So we decided to forgo phone and go with a non MTA D3 Motorola. Lights lock up good, good bin file, good flow down, but the CUST PC will not load webpage. PC shows internet connected.

Ping to google pub DNS returns lost packets.
Extremely high latency.
tracert shows the same thing.

No ingress on the line, DQI is perfect 10/10 after running for about 5 min.

All this brings me back to packet loss.

38% packet loss on an otherwise perfect network. We had to tell the cust that a rework team would visit them on Monday and it literally crushed me. I'll say it again, I hate, HATE losing.

Anyone have ANY idea?
harald
join:2010-10-22
Columbus, OH

harald

Tracert to Google pub DNS. Where are packets being lost?

Downstream?

Next tombstone over - what does it look like re signals, loss?

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

DocDrew to nivu889

Premium Member

to nivu889
Besides the customer's PC was anything else connected to test it? Maybe the customer's PC was downloading.
nivu889
join:2014-07-12

nivu889 to harald

to harald
Tracert was acting strangely also. On one run it would lose packets downstream of our 24 dot ip's, other times it would lose them upstream, or not at all.

Modem backend was reading that downstream was locked on all channels. Provisioning was good, dispatch was having strange problems with the modem, some information was missing, I'm not a dispatcher so Idk exactly what they look at, but she was confused about what she was seeing.

Nothing that typically causes packet loss was displaying.
said by DocDrew:

Besides the customer's PC was anything else connected to test it? Maybe the customer's PC was downloading.

Cat5'd to both tech's laptops, same symptoms.
n2ubp
join:2007-07-13
Middletown, NY

n2ubp

RFI? EMI? AC ripple on DC power or signal? Scope the power and signal or put a RF spectrum analyzer on it.