uniqs
phoneman
join:2014-07-13

phoneman

[Homephone] What kind of NID is this?

Click for full size
Click for full size
Hi guys,

I recently moved into a home in Toronto. Since moving in we have had trouble with static on the line and the internet disconnecting when it rains. I have called and had Bell out twice and both times they have said it was the indoor wire and left. It is most likely not the indoor wire because there are only 2 jacks in the house wired all in cat5. I cannot check at the NID for static like the phone representatives want as the box looks like this. I have never seen a box like this on a home. What is it and what do you guys think I can do about the noise?

holy cow
@70.50.98.x

holy cow

Anon

How handy are you?

Head to an electronics store (I.E. Sayal) and pick up a RJ11 surface mount box, and a couple of test leads that have alligator clips on both ends. Cut one of the alligator ends off, strip the insulation off and wire them into the surface mount box.

To remove the cat 5 cables off the demarc, just loosen the nuts and you can remove the cat 5 cables. Clip the alligator clips on to the studs and off you go. You may have to rock the alligator clips back and forth a couple of times to bite through the filth on the studs.

Good luck.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to phoneman

to phoneman
That's called a 6 pair "can". Call everyday to report static on your line as they can't bill a diagnostic without a proper NID. Eventually they will install one.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to holy cow

to holy cow
said by holy cow :

How handy are you?

Head to an electronics store (I.E. Sayal) and pick up a RJ11 surface mount box, and a couple of test leads that have alligator clips on both ends. Cut one of the alligator ends off, strip the insulation off and wire them into the surface mount box.

To remove the cat 5 cables off the demarc, just loosen the nuts and you can remove the cat 5 cables. Clip the alligator clips on to the studs and off you go. You may have to rock the alligator clips back and forth a couple of times to bite through the filth on the studs.

Good luck.

It looks like the box isn't actually in use but the Cat5 is connected to the cable with Scotchlok connectors.
phoneman

phoneman

I just had a look and DKS is correct. None of the wires go to the posts. They are in connectors. There is also no bare wire anywhere to connect alligator clips to.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

Cool, unless there is another protector downstream (as the feed is a two pair drop wire) you have no lightening protection. So neither tech noticed this. Send a letter to Bells' legal department and put them on notice that any damages to your inside wire, phones and house when it burns down will be due to their negligence. A truck will appear 10 minutes later.

Nitra
join:2011-09-15
Montreal

Nitra

I have done this myself, it really works, in my case it was a few hours later followed by a call from "the office of the president" saying how sorry they were.
phoneman

phoneman

I called Bell today and they said they will send someone Tuesday. Hope the tech can put some kind of protection on the line.

xsbell
join:2008-12-22
Canada

xsbell to phoneman

to phoneman
Since your service is already on the second pair, I can pretty much guarantee it's aerial drop that's the problem. Hopefully you don't get a lazy tech and he'll run a new one.