hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

hortnut to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy

Re: [Landscaping] PVC solvent question

said by IowaCowboy:

The existing sprinkler wire runs through the basement so I could run it into the garage by drilling into the garage from the basement. 1/2 inch hole and done.

Which is better, indoor or outdoor timer. And which make of timer.

I prefer indoor, easy to access and at a height I do not have to reach or stoop.
Just saw this one in a e-newsletter today. Takes into account local weather, and many other variables. Plus you can take it with you. Just leave the old one in place and easy to rehook it up. Wi-Fi sprinkler controller Skydrop uses weather data to know when to water

»www.techhive.com/article ··· l_thbest

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Here is the reason for the twists and turns in the PVC.

telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl

you could have easily put an elbow underground to route the pipe closer to the house.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Now mostly done, just need to throw in the timer (I ordered a Hunter Pro-C timer indoor model online) and got most of the heads replaced. I ran into a hiccup where I replaced one of the non functioning sprays (Richdel, as all of the Richdel sprays were broken) with Hunter sprays from the Depot and the new one by the deck wouldn't come on. I suspect a blocked line.

What could be causing water to not reach a head. I don't think there is a leak as the ground near it is bone dry and I got full pressure to the other heads. Could tree roots have gotten in the line as well. There is a tree about 20 feet away. The main line is a 1" line and the heads branch off in 3/4" lines.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

said by IowaCowboy:

What could be causing water to not reach a head.

It not being connected to the system. Roots do not get into water supply lines nor do you get blockages like you do in drain lines.

StephenRC
join:2013-11-02
Satellite Beach, FL

StephenRC to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Dirt gets into the connection while you're replacing the sprinkler and when turned on, it clogs the sprinkler head.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

said by StephenRC:

Dirt gets into the connection while you're replacing the sprinkler and when turned on, it clogs the sprinkler head.

I tried unscrewing the top off the sprinkler, still blocked. I may try digging up the sprinkler and snaking out the line with some scrap Cat 5 wire.

I'm thinking there may be some kind of blockage in that line because a severed line would render the zone with low pressure (been there with a cracked line see above) and spongy soil.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Are you saying that there is absolutely NO water.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

said by robbin:

Are you saying that there is absolutely NO water.

I can see down in the bottom of the elbow when I unscrew the top of the head and I can see some dampness.

Maybe some mud got in when I was working on the manifold. This is the first head on the run.

When I did cut the old manifold out, I stuffed baggies in the lines and topped off with duct tape.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Take the head off of it and hook a water hose to it. Leave it on a while and see if a wet spot develops somewhere. I still don't think it's connected if you have no water flow on the open pipe.

(You didn't loose a baggie did you?)