spc
Search similar:

uniqs

RARPSL
join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY

RARPSL

[OOL] Bad Geo-Locate info

My current IPN is 69.113.151.78 and I am connected via the Mahwah NJ Head End (while actually being in Suffern NY). When I use »www.iplocation.net/ to check the different Geo-Locate databases 3 of the ones listed correctly show me as located (or at least Hosted) in Mahwah NJ. The fourth (and the first listed) shows me as in Stampford CT. This has caused me some problems when this database as opposed to the others is used and my general location is grossly misidentified. Can anything be done about getting that database corrected to return the more correct Mahwah NJ location?

Thank You.

Boooost
@24.190.186.x

Boooost

Anon

maxmind.com puts you at Suffern, New York, United States, North America, 10901, Lat 41.1523, Long -74.1217, Optimum Online, optonline.net

MxxCon
join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
ARRIS TM822
Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I

MxxCon to RARPSL

to RARPSL
Nothing can be done.
All those databases just show address of where Cablevision registered those IP ranges. Which specific region they are allocated to has nothing to do with what address is in the database.

If whatever site is causing you problems because of geo location, that site then should be using browser's geo-location API, rather than IP lookup.

RARPSL
Suffern, NY

RARPSL

said by MxxCon:

Nothing can be done.
All those databases just show address of where Cablevision registered those IP ranges. Which specific region they are allocated to has nothing to do with what address is in the database.

If whatever site is causing you problems because of geo location, that site then should be using browser's geo-location API, rather than IP lookup.

Thank You. As I noted 3 of the 4 databases get it right and 1 gets it wrong. If as you state, there is no way to get the 4th database to issue the correct head-end location which is using that IPN block, I guess I have to live with it.

MxxCon
join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY

MxxCon

disparity in addresses might be either because some databases are more up-to-date than other or maybe because they are looking up info about larger/smaller IP ranges.

mbernste
MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste to RARPSL

MVM

to RARPSL
That site shows me as being in Hicksville, NY as opposed to Piscataway.
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt to RARPSL

to RARPSL
The fact that some sites have your IP with correct geolocation means that CV updated the range when it was assigned to your area. Some geolocation sites rarely/never update their locations when they are set. If it's causing any issue with a particular site you will have best luck contacting the site you are having issues with.

RARPSL
Suffern, NY

RARPSL

said by frdrizzt:

The fact that some sites have your IP with correct geolocation means that CV updated the range when it was assigned to your area. Some geolocation sites rarely/never update their locations when they are set. If it's causing any issue with a particular site you will have best luck contacting the site you are having issues with.

I realize that CV (or whatever ISP has an IPN Block) can/should tell the Geo-Locate databases when the database is handing out bad/incorrect location info. That is why I posted my message although I accidentally selected the main board not the private direct board when I did so (which is why my full IPN not an edited one was given). I was attempting to give a heads-up to CV to look into and try to fix the situation.

I also know the the data can/may be a little granular such as showing the head-end location not a more specific user location since the assigned IPNs from a block may not be split that finely.
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt to RARPSL

to RARPSL
CV doesn't send an update to every geolocation database, as many geolocation databases actually get their updates from ARIN or other entities exclusively. Even with that being said, trying to get them to update even from CV is mostly unsuccessful.

stevennb
Ok, But, Thats The Last Straw.
Premium Member
join:2001-05-08
Wayne, NJ

stevennb

Premium Member

Listen to the Drow (he knows!)
cablewizzard
join:2009-06-14
Woodbury, NY

cablewizzard to RARPSL

to RARPSL
said by RARPSL:

I realize that CV (or whatever ISP has an IPN Block) can/should tell the Geo-Locate databases when the database is handing out bad/incorrect location info.

It's not CV's job to sustain an utterly crooked and broken business sector - specialty data providers that are dishing out the Koolaid to websites and businesses everywhere, and selling them on the idea that geo-fencing is a good idea: it's only a good idea if you're are defending an indefensible legacy business model of some sort (why shouldn't I be allowed to order a gift from amazon.co.uk using a US credit card and ship to a UK address, instead of being forced to ship it to the US first, and having to remail it via the mails at great cost, exactly?). It's also useful if you are an unrepentant copyright-maximalist like HBO, Hulu or $RANDOM_US_TV_NETWORK that wants to block ISP-side customers of Cable-MSO's it tries to strong-arm/blackmail into ridiculous carriage retransmission fees.

There IS NO STANDARD PROCESS for "submitting geo-location info" to anyone, or anything. Location is NOT a defined property for ANY globally registered chunk of IP space (there's no field in the registration process for ARIN, RIPE, etc.).

Moved a /22 that you were forced to "optimize" usage for due to ARIN policies from Hackensack, NJ to Hicksville, NY? Gee, gotta visit 15 major geo-location providers, navigate their clumsy websites and forms, possibly register with a valid email address, and then submit that location change - and do so possibly dozens of times per week.
Don't like the manual process? Hope you're up for coding against 15 different REST APIs (if they actually have one)!

Insanity for this "business" is too weak a word: not playing into the hands of greedy, self-interested third parties, when there's no apparent ROI on your OWN resources spent, makes a lot of business sense.

Most of these things actually get updated by large websites processing commercial transactions and selling accessing IPs and customer address data in bulk: once you have a /24 that had 5-10 IPs hit an Amazon order for the same town (and discard the 10-20% anomalies), you can be pretty sure you got the area right.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to RARPSL

Premium Member

to RARPSL
How does it cause a problem?

Most folks are GLAD not to be geolocated and spied upon. In fact that's why people sometimes pay extra for VPN's and proxies.

If a website needs to know where I am, I will put in the appropriate zip code or other data.

I've never heard of anyone not being able to do that.