poppster
Tell the truth and then run.
Premium Member
join:2003-12-23
Midwest

poppster

Premium Member

[DISH] Is this possible?

Ok, I have a dish VIP 722 HD receiver that runs 1 HDTV, and UHF (channel 119) to my bedroom via coax cable. We have a 32" LED TV (small house) in here and was wondering how to get the signal to HD without a new receiver. Would a digital tuner box work? Have the coax as the incoming signal, then output to tv via HDMI? Coax looks like crud on a hdtv...haha.

I appreciate any and all comments, even if this is not possible.

Justin.
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

My parents had that pile of a DVR. I hated that thing.

The only way you're going to get 2 sets serviced in HD is to put in a splitter and send 1 signal 2 ways.

You will need a second HD receiver for your 2nd set if you want HD on it. But it won't be able to talk to the 722. So, no DVR functionality on the 2nd set.

You may want to consider trading that thing in for something a little more modern.

p110011
join:2001-12-29
Oregon City, OR

p110011 to poppster

to poppster
I had mine connected this way, the main set with the box was connected via the component jacks, and for my bedroom, I ran a 25' HDMI cable to it from under the house. They where both HD and set on separate tuners.

poppster
Premium Member
Midwest

poppster

Premium Member

Would a digital converter box with coax in and hdmi out not work?

harneet
@206.47.249.x

harneet

Anon

no cus the 2nd tuner in your dual tuner dish network box is outputting SD anyways, so no amount of converting it will make it hd, its still an SD signal, SD!!

poppster
Premium Member
Midwest

poppster

Premium Member

Got ya, but are you sure it's SD? LOL

I appreciate it. I just called dish, and they want 200 bucks for a new hd dvr, and 100 for a standard hd receiver, and 10 bucks a month extra.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0 to poppster

Premium Member

to poppster
As long as you don't want to watch different things at the same time. Adding an HD 1 to 2 repeater works fine. That's how mine is set up. The times you do want different channels well there is still the coax SD. Me I am watching one set or the other so that's not an issue.
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to poppster

Premium Member

to poppster
said by poppster:

I appreciate it. I just called dish, and they want 200 bucks for a new hd dvr, and 100 for a standard hd receiver, and 10 bucks a month extra.

You should call them back. Tell them DirecTV is offering a free 5 room setup with their Genie offering and you're considering switching. Find the right CSR and they'll be out in a few days with new gear for free. Though, you'll be in for another 2 years....