Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to intok

Premium Member

to intok

Re: No more Win 7 support?

I'm sorry, ClassicShell has been around for years and you consider it and the developers who provide it as somehow unproven? The more you try to argue this point, the more you show that you don't really have a leg to stand on.

Stardock is definitely not "no name" so give Start8 a whirl -- I've been using it since the release of Windows 8 with ZERO issues.

Making this FUD argument is nothing but a disservice to the people you claim to be helping all because you have an axe to grind.

We all install software from a variety of sources, most of it NOT open source, and our systems are still alive and well. You'll have to do better than that, I'm afraid.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

2 recommendations

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

It took the poor sales of Win 8 to make them bring back the non-autohide start button, clicking it to take you to all apps, and boot to desktop. As I've said before your average user will not know about classic shell, or start8, otherwise other software. They shouldn't have to fix what Microsoft broke, and they clearly didn't ask for a non-intuitive tablet interface which you couldn't run more than one metro app at once. It was a major step backwards in functionality compared to the desktop. The os gui is important, and it wasn't a small change like how Win 7 had pinned apps instead of a quicklaunch toolbar which some people didn't care for.

As far as Win 7 goes, people who have it already will be fine, and likely buy a new computer before 2020, possibly with the next os Win 10(?), may that not be another massive mistake. it's the businesses who will be critical as many run custom software which can be very expensive, or keep an old version of something that doesn't run well on a new os, possibly as they don't want to pay for new software.
intok (banned)
join:2012-03-15

intok (banned) to darcilicious

to darcilicious
As I stated, I'm not installing anything the customer doesn't ask for explicitly.

I don't care what random places you get your software from, when you do it for a living for other people you don't do anything you aren't asked to do with their property. No customer has yet asked me to install it for them and as such I have never installed it for anyone.

Without source the best you can do is assume that you are secure, you can't prove it.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

said by intok:

As I stated, I'm not installing anything the customer doesn't ask for explicitly.

I don't care what random places you get your software from, when you do it for a living for other people you don't do anything you aren't asked to do with their property. No customer has yet asked me to install it for them and as such I have never installed it for anyone.

I think you missed the point that BlitzenZeus See Profile made in their last post.
said by BlitzenZeus:

As I've said before your average user will not know about classic shell, or start8, otherwise other software.

That is the bottom line here that people are trying to get across to you. No one (as far as I can tell) is upset or mad that you are not installing software that the end user has not asked for. I totally agree with that logic. However, if a better option is out there to help the end user get accustom to the new OS, there is (at least to me) nothing wrong with making a suggestion about said software.

Using your logic then, am I to assume that if Windows 8 no longer came with Internet Explorer, you would rather the end user (your customers) be fully upset that they lost IE, and leave it at that? Or, would you, being a good business person, bring that to their attention, and suggest some options that you could install for them to replace the lost functionally of Internet Explorer, like Firefox, Palemoon, or Google Chrome? I guess not, as most end users don't know about those browsers, as all they know about is IE right?

--Brian
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

I'd love it if IE was no longer part of the os core, I've hated how IE became part of the os core in 9x as it brought more security issues into the os. Let users fully remove IE if they didn't want it in add/remove, not just the shortcuts, and just a optional feature of the os. On systems for people they'll get chrome, firefox, or both, chrome only for people who can't remember to update their flash. Let them use a browser that's supported on more than just windows.

If he recommends 3rd party software, that's his word behind it, and he's running a business. The less 3rd party you push the better, and showing them the default Win 8 start menu is enough to scare most of them away.
intok (banned)
join:2012-03-15

intok (banned) to plencnerb

to plencnerb
said by plencnerb:

I think you missed the point that BlitzenZeus See Profile made in their last post.

said by BlitzenZeus:

As I've said before your average user will not know about classic shell, or start8, otherwise other software.

That is the bottom line here that people are trying to get across to you. No one (as far as I can tell) is upset or mad that you are not installing software that the end user has not asked for. I totally agree with that logic. However, if a better option is out there to help the end user get accustom to the new OS, there is (at least to me) nothing wrong with making a suggestion about said software.

Using your logic then, am I to assume that if Windows 8 no longer came with Internet Explorer, you would rather the end user (your customers) be fully upset that they lost IE, and leave it at that? Or, would you, being a good business person, bring that to their attention, and suggest some options that you could install for them to replace the lost functionally of Internet Explorer, like Firefox, Palemoon, or Google Chrome? I guess not, as most end users don't know about those browsers, as all they know about is IE right?

--Brian

No I didn't.

Most users have heard of Firefox, Chrome or Safari, in fact the vast majority have at least one of those installed, either they did it themselves of it came packaged with another piece of hardware.

Google products push Chrome, Yahoo products push Firefox(infested with a bunch of Yahoo addons that don't like to leave) and Apple products push Safari. If the user has an Android or iOS device they almost assuredly have a corresponding browser installed.

But as I said, we build computers as well, we have vanilla installs of Ubuntu, Mint Mate Edition and Windows 8.1 setup for users to take a look at when choosing what they want. Installing Classic Start to Win8 breaks the UI consistency even more then just leaving as it is untill Microsoft pulls it's head out of it's ass.