spc
Search similar:

uniqs
floydb1982
join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA

floydb1982

Powerline AV not affected by fans but a vacuum cleaner

We have 4 box fans running keeping out house cooled down as possible during the summer heat. My Netgear XAV2001 Powerline AV 200 Adapters will have a connection signal speed of 200Mb/s. On the other hand the minute I turn on my 1952 Hamilton Beach Model vacuum cleaner My Netgear XAV2001 Powerline AV 200 Adapters go from 200Mbp/s well below 50Mb/s. I don't get this at all. Don't box fans create electrical noise in the line just as my 1952 Hamilton Beach Model vacuum cleaner does???

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB6121

3 recommendations

shdesigns

Premium Member

Vacuum cleaners are universal brushed motors and draw a lot of power (usually 10 amps or more.). The brushes create arc and lots of HF noise. I bet the old vacuum does not have any filtering on the brushes.

Fans have inductive motors that draw less than an amp. Inductive motors are brushless and noise free.
floydb1982
Kent, WA

floydb1982

Then do new vacuum cleaners block out the HF noise???

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA

shdesigns

Premium Member

They will have some filtering but usually not a lot.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to shdesigns

MVM

to shdesigns
said by shdesigns:

The brushes create arc and lots of HF noise.

Agree - used to use a variable speed drill as a quick and dirty EMI test years ago.

Fans are typically induction motors and the little ones shaded pole - no brushes to generate noise.

Even if they have filters not sure what effect it will have on line impedance at the high frequencies used for powerline networking.

/tom

Jan Janowski
Premium Member
join:2000-06-18
Waynesville, NC

Jan Janowski to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982
You might try a clip on RFI/EMI Filter over the AC Cord near Vacuum motor.... That might remove the RFI

In worst case, one by motor, one by wall plug.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B
Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M2

Hank

Premium Member

said by Jan Janowski:

try a clip on RFI/EMI Filter over the AC Cord

May reduce somewhat but doubtful it will eliminate his problem.

WireHead
I drive to fast
Premium Member
join:2001-05-09
Muncie, IN

WireHead to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982
Check all your grounding screws in the panel. The messenger lugs. Reapply nolox as necessary if not AL/CU.

Install a 1:1 power correction transformer on the circuit that feeds the computer room/gear. 2kVA would probably do the trick and be cheap(ish) for your single phase. These are sometimes incorrectly called buck/boost transformers. It depends on the ineptitude of the person selling them if you don't know exactly what you want. All these power correction and filtering xfmrs are separate products.

Use blow dryers, unshielded magnetrons, and yes vacuum cleaners until hell won't have it. The harmonics, unbalanced load, and EMI will prefer to drain to ground at the panel before they backfeed across your transformer to your computer gear, back across the transformer, to its ground, which will be higher resistance then just going to ground at the panel.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to floydb1982

MVM

to floydb1982
My parents had a 10 year old vacuum that would cause problems with their powerline network adapters. It wouldn't kill the connection entirely, but there would be a huge decrease in performance. They replaced the vacuum earlier this year and the problem is no longer there. I really don't know why that vacuum was a problem when there were many other electrical devices that took up more power but didn't cause a problem. Ah well.....
floydb1982
Kent, WA

floydb1982

We have a lot of other power eating devices in the house that should be generating a lot of electrical noise weakening the Powerline AV 200 signal hugely but they don't. We have 47" flatpanel LCD HDTV, 55" flatpanel LCD HDTV, fluorescent lights, Microwave, Blinder, Refrigerator, Dishwasher, Washing Machine, Dryer, 4 Box Fans, ceiling fan, and so on. But Still I get 200Mb/s. It's when my 1952 Hamilton Beach Model vacuum cleaner gets turned on is when I get below 50Mb/s on the Powerline AV 200. So a brand new vacuum would solve my problem completely???
floydb1982

floydb1982 to WireHead

to WireHead
What are grounding screws??? Are they the screws that hold the face covering on the A/C outlets???
floydb1982

floydb1982 to Nightfall

to Nightfall
Another thing that comes to mind is the we have a heater air duck system in our 1985 mobile home and it gets ran like a bat out of hell in the Winter Season and yet that does do anything at all to my Powerline AV 200 adapters at all. It may have something to do with the fact that the heater air duck system is wired directly into the fuse box and not running off an indoor A/C outlet.

shdesigns