All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

NathanHL
@74.90.188.x

NathanHL

Anon

Please Help, Internet Downloads have STOPPED, Throttling???

So, I have been doing a lot of work getting files into the cloud, uploading to google drive and such. I was copying some of my gaming videos from youtube, using the download mp4 feature in youtube for your own videos to get the ones I had deleted or lost from a hard drive crash. Everything was fine, and I got maybe 70 done or so, but on the 12th it started to go bad. The videos would sometimes not download all the way, and would just have the beginning and be corrupt at the end. I have also been having a lot of trouble with stutters on google chrome and other browsers I tested on. I cleared my cache and have reset the modem many times. Now here is the weird thing, NOW I have no videos able to download. They get to around 90-100mb and just stop, for every single one. I thought maybe I have a virus, my computer can't be the problem, its never had this problem before and I just built it 8 month ago and it has the top specs out now. So I pulled up a laptop to see if maybe it was my computer, or the wired network, and like magic on the laptop exactly at 92mb in the same way as my computer it stopped. So I have unplugged the modem and router, I have tried everything, but I can't seem to figure it out. Here is the question, could they be throttling me for using probably over a TB in internet easily. The thing is here is my speedtest »www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 23404451 and that is normal, it's just it stops every download I try at 90-100mb. And it will freeze my browser, like I will be typing this for example and the words wont appear and I have to wait 7 seconds, or a page won't load. But my computers not frozen as I can move the mouse and use other apps, but I can't change the page I'm on in chrome and it happens on Mozzila too, so it's not just that either. I am out of ideas, Please help

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

limegrass69

Optimum, to my knowledge, does not throttle and has not done so for many years. I think you can rule that out.

MxxCon
join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY

MxxCon to NathanHL

to NathanHL
How exactly are you downloading those youtube videos?

NathanHL
@74.90.188.x

NathanHL

Anon

Click for full size
If you click the little down arrow these pop up.
said by MxxCon:

How exactly are you downloading those youtube videos?

I can understand your confusion, as downloading youtube videos is against their policies. But not when they are your own, in fact youtube has a button which I am including an image of to download a mp4 video if it is your own. I am downloading my own videos to back up as I lost them in a hard drive crash. Now I'm not sure if you need to be partnered to do that, but either way it is something youtube allows you to do for your own videos.
Sky766
join:2007-08-28
Bronx, NY

Sky766 to NathanHL

to NathanHL
He's using a browser extension to allow him to download youtube videos. If your connection was being throttled, the download rate would just drop. Sine your browser is freezing up for a few seconds, it's either your PC or youtube just may be terminating the connections if you downloaded over 1 tb in day from their servers which seems unreasonable for streaming.

andrewc2
join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA

andrewc2

As a youtube content creator myself, what he has depicted is exactly the options that are available as a creator. You can download your own videos that you have posted on your channel. Without any browser extensions.

I've never experienced any slowdowns when downloading my own videos from my youtube channel.

mbernste
MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste to Sky766

MVM

to Sky766
said by Sky766:

He's using a browser extension to allow him to download youtube videos.

Just to correct you, no he is not. You can download your own videos as MP4 video from YouTube. It is an option in the video manager.
cablewizzard
join:2009-06-14
Woodbury, NY

cablewizzard to NathanHL

to NathanHL
What you're describing is not throttling.

It reminds me of older days with the Squid proxy - where timeouts for Keep-Alive connections mattered while doing HTTP-pipelining: If Keep-Alive is set to say: 20 secs, but the download over the same HTTP connection takes longer than that, the server side would mysteriously close the connection to your browser - because it hadn't received any additional pipelined HTTP request, yet wasn't done with sending the current data stream (chunked).

This might be a technical problem with Google's CDN, in that it will not let you transfer more than those ~90MB down a single HTTP connection (and I am giving it a high chance it's just a single TCP connection), or has a problem with "chunked" HTTP blocks of some sort. Google is doing all kinds of interesting things with transmission for YouTube - like throttling individual chunks so that playback is never more than a few seconds ahead of what the player is currently showing (there was a time when they got this wrong, transmitting exactly 64KB/s (not kbps) in 6-seconds-on-6-seconds off patterns).

Indeed, there's so much room for technical failure on google's part, that I find it completely unlikely for OOL to have any role in this (and it'd be self-defeating - can you imagine the ridiculously complicated and long-running support calls? What do you think happens when they get a dozen of those every day?)

Force your DNS servers to Google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 to get assigned to a different part of Google's CDN (not the one local to CV, last time I checked Google was NOT back-projecting the querying source (your home) geographically, and simply assigns your sessions to an "undefined US location" pool), and try downloading again.

If the problem goes away, it's specific to the Google CDN that is directly on (or directly 1-hop peered to ) CV's network - now that'll be an even more interesting escalation.

If that fails - did you do all of your access with the Firefox browser?
open the about:config page, disable network.http.pipelining (set to 0), try again, if no result, set network.http.keep-alive.timeout to something longer than 115 s (I don't think that can solve your problem though: doesn't that 90MB download in like 10s?) - webservers tend to ignore Keep-Alive: values sent by browsers, and set their own limits (very often in the 10-20s range). Don't forget to re-enable pipelining afterwards.
Likewise, tuning down network.http.max-connections-per-server to 4 (I think it's 6 by default , which no longer shows any value) and network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-server to something smaller than 6 might significantly influence the way your browser talks to YT's webservers.