uniqs
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

[Firefox] How to get Bookmarks from a "bad" FF

A client asked if there was a way to "recover" his bookmarks from a FF 23.0 without running it. He suspects there's some sort of virus or malware associated with it and will not run it. If there is a file/folder that can be copied? Some other way perhaps through an upgrade (it would have to be to Pale Moon though and not to another FF version. Could a portable version help in this case?

amazingm
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
USA

amazingm

Premium Member

The bookmarks are stored in the file: places.sqlite located in the user AppData Mozilla folder. In addition, Firefox automatically saves the current bookmarks daily in the bookmarkbackups folder.

Here's more info: »support.mozilla.org/en-U ··· s/967392

Racerbob
Premium Member
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
·Frontier FiberOp..

1 edit

Racerbob to bbear2

Premium Member

to bbear2
I strongly advise you to tell your client to run a full scan with Malwarebytes. If some malware is lurking within the browser's directory, or elsewhere, this scan would be the first thing that I would do. Also scan with the latest anti-virus program of his choice. A good idea would to be to do the scans in safe mode if possible.
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

1 recommendation

bbear2

Premium Member

Thanks to both responses so far. I will look for the bookmarks as you said, AND advise a virus/malware scan if that hasn't already been done.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to amazingm

Premium Member

to amazingm
said by amazingm:

The bookmarks are stored in the file: places.sqlite located in the user AppData Mozilla folder. In addition, Firefox automatically saves the current bookmarks daily in the bookmarkbackups folder....

I have manually manipulated these files before (backed-up/restored/transferred to other profiles or installations)

The procedure works.

Also, if you keep a lot of tabs open, it is worthwhile to manually backup the sessionstore.js (or .json) file to elsewhere.

Any of the above-mentioned files can be manually backed up even while the browser is running, but can only be manually restored when it is not.