spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Heath
@99.107.98.x

Heath

Anon

[DSL] Connection problems....HELP!

My parents and I have had your service for about 6 months now. Within the last 3 months the service at my house has become very slow and won't allow me to even connect during the middle of the day (maybe temp. issues or more people using it during middle of day?) For some reason early in the morning and late at night it works decent but still not as fast as it was a few months ago. We recently bought a new modem: TP-LINK TD-8616 ADSL2+ Modem, Up to 24Mbps Downstream Bandwidth, 6KV Lightning Protection ... and router thinking our older stuff might have been part of the problem. It was not and still had same issues. My parents service at their house across town seems fine.

I then wired our phone jack directly from the incoming ATT service off the side of the house straight to our modem and we are not using a home telephone. Though if I unplug modem and plug into phone it works fine and is loud and clear.

We are very frustrated and I have been told by phone help that there does seem to be some problem with our service somewhere as things are slow. What do I do? Can someone help?

Thank you, Heath

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

Hi Heath,

I assume when you plugged the modem directly into the phone box on the side of the house, that the problem remained? (If the problem went away when you plugged into the side of the house, that indicates there's a problem with either the inside wiring or one of the DSL filters inside)

I am assuming that the problem remained when you plugged the modem directly into the phone box. If that is the case, then that would suggest the problem may lie with the outside phone lines (or, possibly but less likely, the modem itself, or the DSL equipment on the far end). Since you recently tried a new modem, it's probably not a modem-based issue.

I'd like to take a look at your line readings to get more information. If you sign up for an account here (it's free), we can exchange PMs and I can look up your DSL Extreme account and we can go from there.
Heath
join:2014-07-14
Salinas, CA

Heath

Thanks Nick,

I have no dsl filters inside. Do I need one if only using DSL on the single phone line I have that comes directly though the wall from the ATT input?

It is just strange that late at night and early in the morning it works without the dsl light on the modem ever flashing like it is now. It is currently not working and I'm using my phones internet. I am a mechanical engineer and can't figure it out. I assume it is on the ATT line side?

I just made an account with user name Heath. Will reply back to your email as well. Thanks for testing the lines and helping me get to the bottom of this.

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

You would need to put a filter on any phones, fax machines, alarm systems, etc. sharing the line. The modem itself should never be filtered. So, as long as you don't have any phones, alarms, etc. plugged in anywhere in the house (regardless of whether you're actively on a call or not), then no, you don't need a filter.

The phone lines outside can heat up during the day, which can reduce line performance. A certain amount of fluctuation is to be expected. However, if your line is just barely connecting during the best of times, then that minor fluctuation may be enough to push it over the edge, causing the disconnects you're seeing. When the modem is connected, we can run line readings from this end to get a better idea of how the line looks. I'll send you a PM now; go ahead and reply back with some account info (account number, username, DSL number, email address, etc.) so I can find your account and see about getting those line readings.
Heath
Salinas, CA

Heath

I can't get PM's yet (Private Message?) I just became member.

Right no other devices are using phone line at all.

Yes, I believe your theory on phone lines heating up is correct. please send me an email I can get you my account info. at please. Talk soon.

sashwa
Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
446.4 4.0

sashwa

Mod

Heath, you should be able to receive IMs just not send them to those who have not sent you an IM. This should go away after 8 hours or so.

To see your ims you need to be logged into the site. Your IMs should be here if you have received any:

»/instant

You will also see a blinking yellow envelope at the top of the pages if you have any unread ims.

»Site FAQ Instant Messages

I hope this helps.
Heath
Salinas, CA

Heath

thank you sashwa! got it.

sashwa
Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz

1 edit

sashwa

Mod

You're welcome, Heath.

Edit - and if you see a red flashing envelope, then that is from a mod.