spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Zulu
@198.84.203.x

Zulu

Anon

SMC2804WBR unable to connect/obtain internet [Teksavvy Cable]

Hi, I never really had this kind of problem before until just recently my cable modem had stopped working because they had to re-enable/activate it again. Upon doing so, I had to then reconfigure my router again after gaining access to internet but this time, my router is unable to connect/obtain from Teksavvy.

The procedure that I've tried is simply going on the wizard setup, and picking which broadband type(cable modem) which then leads to me entering a host name(optional) and a mac address. It'll try to connect to Teksavvy but the same error will pop up(Not connected! Please refer to your documentation CD for troubleshooting tips).

I called Teksavvy and they said it's suppose to be DHCP(which is the cable modem option) and that I should also try googling my problems since they don't really deal with routers. I've tried to contact the manufacturer support of SMC but they're all the way in Singapore so I'm left with here and more google.

are there any solution or option that I have not tried yet?

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

Try plugging an ethernet cable from the modem straight to your computer, and see if it pulls a public IP address. If so, the problem is with your router. If not, the problem is with the modem.

Zulu
@198.84.203.x

Zulu

Anon

I do see a few IP addresses, not sure what would make one to be 'public'. And the same result when I type in ipconfig in cmd after plugging through my router. I can see IP address both through my modem and router.

Camelot One
MVM
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

Addresses starting with 192. And 10. are private. Its the public, or "not-private" we are looking for.
Zulu
Premium Member
join:2014-07-14
Canada

Zulu

Premium Member

oh, in that case, i see 2 IP addresses starting with 198, and 1 IP address starting with 255, this is when my computer is plugged directly through the cable modem

Camelot One
MVM
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

The IP range handed out from the cable modem needs to be different than the range handed out by the router. So if you see a 192.168.0.something address when connected to the modem, you need to tell the router to use a LaaN ip range of 192.168.1.x, or vice versa.
Zulu
Premium Member
Canada

Zulu

Premium Member

so i'm going to have to use static ip addresses and assign it to each device from the router?

Camelot One
MVM
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

No, they just need to be different ranges. You can still use DHCP.

For simplicity sake, connect your computer to the router's LAN port, open the web configuration, look for the LAN settings page, and set the router's LAN ip address to 192.168.2.1. (this setting might also be called DHCP Range, if so it would just be 192.168.2.) Save, then power cycle it.
Zulu
Premium Member
Canada

Zulu to Zulu

Premium Member

to Zulu
Actually, the LAN settings default IP was already what you mentioned to my surprise as well. Power cycled, tried to connect from router to the internet again(hard wired). Same error, DHCP/Dynamic IP still says: Not connected! Please refer to your documentation CD for troubleshooting tips

Camelot One
MVM
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

Are you entering (cloning) the MAC address of the computer you ARE able to connect to the cable modem with? If not, you should.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin to Zulu

MVM

to Zulu
Do you have internet access with the PC connected directly to the modem?

Are you power-cycling the modem when disconnecting the PC and connecting the router?
Zulu
Premium Member
Canada

Zulu to Zulu

Premium Member

to Zulu
Yeah, looks like i forgot to clone mac address. It's working now, thanks everyone!