Actor (The Asylum / Mill Creek Ent.)
Premium Member
join:2013-09-03
Tampa, FL
·Charter

DeadSurvivor

Premium Member

[Help] 1993 Dodge Shadow ES 3.0L V6 - Bad Head Gasket

I have a 1993 Dodge Shadow ES 3.0L V6. The head gasket is bad. Just wondering if the expensive replacement is worth it or if searching for an affordable newer vehicle would be a better idea?

I wonder is Bar's Aluminum Seal will help ... So far, I have to refill the radiator everyday before even driving a short distance (yes, I know I shouldn't drive it but with an elderly mother, sometimes I have to).

Opinions greatly appreciated.

lostinms
Moo
join:2001-11-29
Grenada, MS

lostinms

Don't use bar's aluminum seal as it could stop up your radiator then you will defiantly have a heat issue. It depends one you whether to get it fix or not. I have a 86 mazda that I had the head redone and it cost me $700 to get it done plus replacement of the valves. You may be looking at around $1000+ for your car. Reason I say this the head may be warped.

sealer
@69.118.94.x

1 recommendation

sealer

Anon

Can of sealer, sealer is factory fill in most new cars... blue devil I think it is called is costly BUT really good from what I've heard.

Car aint worth anything.
ImpetusEra
Premium Member
join:2004-05-19

ImpetusEra to DeadSurvivor

Premium Member

to DeadSurvivor
Long ago I had a 94 Duster with the 3.0, fun little cars. At 21 years old I'd imagine the overall condition isn't great and it probably has a lot of miles. You'd probably get better info from the Allpar EEK forum and maybe even an offer to buy it.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to DeadSurvivor

Premium Member

to DeadSurvivor
said by DeadSurvivor:

I wonder is Bar's Aluminum Seal will help ...

No as it clearly says it is a radiator sealer only. You could try a sealer that says it is for head gaskets, but throwing radiator sealer in won't even begin to try sealing a head gasket as it isn't designed to do that.

DeadSurvivor
Premium Member
Tampa, FL

DeadSurvivor

Premium Member

Thanks for the reply everyone. It looks like it's about time for me to look for something newer.

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

Grumpy4 to DeadSurvivor

Premium Member

to DeadSurvivor
I had a '95 3.0 head gasket repaired for around $500 by an independent shop. That was around 10 years ago though.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to DeadSurvivor

Premium Member

to DeadSurvivor
Cars old and not worth repairing. Might as well try something. I dont really know if it works, but my dad use to swear by pepper to seal leaky head gaskets.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

1 recommendation

Cho Baka

MVM

Might as well throw in some eggs & sausage and call it breakfast.
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

LOL, yea but my dad really did use to swear by pepper to seal head gaskets. I will say he was pretty dam good when it came to stuff like that. He was a old school race car driver. I do remember him telling me about a time he blew a head gasket on his way to florida in South Carolina. I dont remember the exact recipe but i think it was 2 full cans of Around 3 ozs of black pepper did the trick.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka

MVM

Maybe he does swear by pepper.

I do, but only for food. Not headgaskets.
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

He did. He passed away so its all past tense now.

DeadSurvivor
Premium Member
Tampa, FL

DeadSurvivor

Premium Member

That's the problem! I forgot to feed the Shadow its' morning breakfast.

"Thank You" for everyone's reply and any additional advice and/or comments would be much appreciated.

what the
join:2014-06-28
usa

what the to DeadSurvivor

to DeadSurvivor
$35 Worked on my big ole 1993 Cadillac Deville, just follow the instructions. And it's been 2 years now with no problems.

salzan
Experienced Optimist
Premium Member
join:2004-01-08
WA State

salzan to DeadSurvivor

Premium Member

to DeadSurvivor
Are you sure it's the head gasket? How did you arrive at that diagnosis?

After filling the rad and starting it do you see bubbles in the filler neck?

Have you checked to see if the oil is cloudy or yellowish? With that much consumption some water may be getting in the crankcase and if so, driving it will kill it.

DeadSurvivor
Premium Member
Tampa, FL
·Charter

DeadSurvivor

Premium Member

Well, the oil was a white milky color (not chocolate color) and the radiator was leaking like Niagra Falls.

Took it to an oil change shop where a friend works and he said it was the water pump, where the Antifreeze and water was spewing out. The water pump was replaced and now I am hearing the fan and radiator extra coolant cannister have issues. So far, I plan on getting those looked at next.

The Shadow is running alot smoother than it was before the water pump replacement.

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
join:2003-07-06
Philippines

EliteData to Cho Baka

Premium Member

to Cho Baka
said by Cho Baka:

Maybe he does swear by pepper.

I do, but only for food. Not headgaskets.

a teaspoon of black grinded pepper can work for small leaks in a radiator and elsewhere, provided you change the radiator cap with one that has a pressure relief lever and leave the lever in the up position and that you have a functional radiator reservoir tank that is half full.
sure, removing the pressure affects cooling efficiency a slight bit but its needed to keep the pepper from being pushed out of the leak.
its a quick and dirty temporary fix that works.

whyyyyyyyyyy
@69.118.94.x

whyyyyyyyyyy to DeadSurvivor

Anon

to DeadSurvivor
No offense to your "friend" that works at a "oil change shop"

It is very very unprofessional to do a repair like a water pump just to tell the customer next... that hey your fan and really the overflow tank have issues. Some things, sure might fix one and find another but, really... still has a bad head gasket or head, or block, so the water pump was a waste of money at this point...

So they did not have issues when the pump was done? Also um, that should have nothing to do with the water in the oil (why are you thinking the oil would turn "chocolate") milk = water in the oil... the pump aint gona do that...

We had a shadow sitting at the garage omg, 7-8 years ago, needed a head gasket too... thing ended up getting junked. Was not worth the repair...

So you put money into a car, that is still getting water in the oil and that will just wipe out the crank... like, you can't have your oil turn into milk, it does not do its job then...

Removing the rad cap takes the pressure off the system, that pressure raises the boiling point of system, no pressure lower boiling point.

DeadSurvivor
Premium Member
Tampa, FL
·Charter

DeadSurvivor

Premium Member

Thanks for the advice received so far after my last post.

I see what you're saying. The milk-color liquid seems to be leaking from beneath the oil tank somewhere, which occurred after I got an oil change within the past two to three days.

So far, the color of the oil (from the dipstick) looks normal (non-milk color) but the leak from underneath still looks like milk.

Since I've put some money in already, I'm at the crossroads between seeing what may happen next and getting something more up to date to drive.