uniqs

Plus One
@50.182.54.x

Plus One to IPPlanMan

Anon

to IPPlanMan

Re: Figures...

said by IPPlanMan:

Despite Verizon's pushback and pretzel twisting, the truth is coming out. Thanks Netflix!

LOL. Netflix is as likely lying as is Verizon. Until Netflix turns over their network statistics to a 3rd party, we shouldn't trust them either.
sides14
join:2007-11-29
Peoria, AZ

4 recommendations

sides14

Verizons release last week said it was all about peering (34% egress utilzization and 100% ingress utilization). That is a Verizon issue since they haven't upgraded their peering agreement.
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

2 recommendations

AVonGauss

Premium Member

Not really, peering points - like arguments - have at least two sides.
existenz
join:2014-02-12

1 recommendation

existenz to Plus One

to Plus One
The bottom line is that Netflix performs well on many ISPs and not on others. ISPs can choose not to optimize network/peers to certain services but then they are telling their customers that they (ISP) will choose what sites will work or not. They may as well come out with a statement that they will not help video services compete with their own offerings and get it over with.

pumpkinhead7
join:2002-06-14
Clarksburg, WV

1 recommendation

pumpkinhead7 to Plus One

to Plus One
I disagree, Netflix has a company history of being honest and open. Verizon as well as Comcast etc have a company history of being dishonest, and self serving.

I'm not saying Netflix isn't out to make a buck, but I think they are a much more honest and honorable company that Verizon/Comcast any day.

nothing00
join:2001-06-10
Centereach, NY

1 recommendation

nothing00 to AVonGauss

to AVonGauss
said by AVonGauss:

Not really, peering points - like arguments - have at least two sides.

Good point. When is Verizon going to pay for Cogent's upgrades? Verizon's numbers show that they're clearly a subscriber to Cogent's network.
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss

Premium Member

Unless we're looking at different "charts", Verizon's numbers do not detail Cogent specifically. Regardless, I'd be willing to bet a very large sum of cash that Cogent sends Verizon far more data than Verizon sends Cogent.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to sides14

Premium Member

to sides14
Exactly. Verizon's own report used misleading words to make it sound like it was Netflix's fault, but when you read the report, it's pretty clear that it's interconnection- and we know Verizon was the one holding up upgrades to those...
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray to pumpkinhead7

to pumpkinhead7
said by pumpkinhead7:

I disagree, Netflix has a company history of being honest and open.

Honest and open?

Tell that to the DVD subscribers who found themselves throttled.

Tell that to the California taxpayers who are told he's a Republican.

rebus9
join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay

rebus9 to Plus One

to Plus One
said by Plus One :

said by IPPlanMan:

Despite Verizon's pushback and pretzel twisting, the truth is coming out. Thanks Netflix!

LOL. Netflix is as likely lying as is Verizon. Until Netflix turns over their network statistics to a 3rd party, we shouldn't trust them either.

In what context? Everyone-- including Verizon-- knows Verizon is letting their peers saturate, and we all know why.
smcallah
join:2004-08-05
Home

smcallah to AVonGauss

to AVonGauss
And I would bet no. Lest we forget that Verizon runs the former UUnet, AS701, which still has tons of business customers, hosting providers, etc on it.

UUnet has always been a major "exporter" of traffic, because they have always had the big name customers on their service.

anon123
@50.170.133.x

anon123 to Plus One

Anon

to Plus One
Well if it weren't for the fact that it's not just Netflix... Other ISP's don't seem to have anywhere near the issues with streaming sites. ISP's made their beds when they decided to make sure people have more than a dozen times less upload than download and thus make everyone download from a remote site (client-server) instead of using P2P services architecture.