dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
xthepeoplesx
join:2013-10-21

xthepeoplesx

CenturyLink may not have started upgrading our area...

It appears that the lines being fixed were actually Time Warner... They run internet and cable right at the end of my street but do not provide service to our street. As some of you may know CenturyLink should be putting in VDSL and bonding for my area (Galena, OH). I recently stated that CenturyLink might have started work on it as its slated to be finished by the end of July/Aug latest.

Looks like I was wrong, it appears to be Time Warner fixing the lines for service further down the road. The techs thought it was crazy that we didnt have service as it was ran outside of our street AND we have lines to every home already ran. He contacted a much higher up to see what they could start providing so there might be hope that I can finally get rid of CenturyLink all together. I guess we will wait and see.

So I still have hope CenturyLink will finally upgrade our area but I am a little disappointed to not see their work starting yet. AHHH waiting sucks!

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

toby

For major wiring projects, CL relies on other companies to run the wire/fibre.

CL can't always get what they want from these contractors.
xthepeoplesx

xthepeoplesx

Yea the company that is actually doing the wiring for CL is actually a contractor...
coryw
join:2013-12-22
Flagstaff, AZ

coryw to xthepeoplesx

to xthepeoplesx
Well, without a wireless division and without the "requirement" that TV be part of any fiber or VDSL upgrade, CL doesn't have much else to do.

Incidentally, who told you July/August "at the latest"? If they haven't even started, either it's truly a matter of enabling equipment and lines that are already out there (as brad152 See Profile mentioned about Qwest in Phoenix and unused fiber) or it's going to run way over-schedule.

They'll almost certainly get it going eventually, keep us posted!
xthepeoplesx

xthepeoplesx

It was the local contracting company that told me... Hey I still have hope! haha
xthepeoplesx

xthepeoplesx

Just a new update here... Called CenturyLink because my upload had gone down to 0.2mbps and my download down to 3mbps or so. So the rep I talked to who was very nice and knew her stuff well said that work on the upgrade is currently underway and the lines are being dropped. She seemed to think that it would most likely be fiber with the VDSL and not an OC3... so minor update but good news, so those in my area who have been following - keep your fingers crossed!

EDIT: Spelling

jay1278
@67.232.181.x

jay1278 to xthepeoplesx

Anon

to xthepeoplesx
said by xthepeoplesx:

It appears that the lines being fixed were actually Time Warner... They run internet and cable right at the end of my street but do not provide service to our street. As some of you may know CenturyLink should be putting in VDSL and bonding for my area (Galena, OH). I recently stated that CenturyLink might have started work on it as its slated to be finished by the end of July/Aug latest.

Looks like I was wrong, it appears to be Time Warner fixing the lines for service further down the road. The techs thought it was crazy that we didnt have service as it was ran outside of our street AND we have lines to every home already ran. He contacted a much higher up to see what they could start providing so there might be hope that I can finally get rid of CenturyLink all together. I guess we will wait and see.

So I still have hope CenturyLink will finally upgrade our area but I am a little disappointed to not see their work starting yet. AHHH waiting sucks!

Your in the same boat as i am in.. Centurylink keep companies out of your area, because they will not be able to monopolize the area no longer with their obsurd prcing for such slow internet..
I can only get 5mbps here from centurylink, they will not upgrade to anything higher because we only have 2 guys working here from the company in my county..

I have been on comcast, and brighthouse to come here for years. They are down the road from us, and will not hook up the fiber in my neighborhood so we all can get internet from them..
They advertise internet as being here but it's not..
It is being advertised as starting 16mbps - 150mbps.
So the companies should not be allowed to do what they are doing, i contacted the ftc and fcc about them, but they will not do anything they said..