spc
Search similar:

uniqs

bosrcn
@216.15.119.x

bosrcn

Anon

[Speed] Netflix Stuck at 720HD - 50Mbps connection

This has never been a problem before, regardless of time of day, I always got 1080p.

I have not achieved 1080p in the past week. My settings within netflix are for highest quality streaming.

Any ideas?

hey
@216.15.119.x

hey

Anon

I should add I am streaming not on the Netflix app in the TiVo but via the app in my television.

artjohn
Premium Member
join:2000-11-17
Chevy Chase, MD

artjohn

Premium Member

is that TV connected wired or wirelessly?

machpost
join:2002-01-11
Washington, DC

machpost to bosrcn

to bosrcn
FWIW, I'm getting 1080p over WiFi on my Apple TV 3, and I have 50mbps.

artjohn
Premium Member
Chevy Chase, MD

artjohn

Premium Member

Machpost, you are among the lucky; obviously, some folks are, like you, able to stream 1080p over WiFi; but it is also true that many cannot. And the problems are not uniform.

Here is a good article to start with/ there are many other equally good help sites to get wifi working well.

»www.smallnetbuilder.com/ ··· coverage

best/

alchav
join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT

alchav to machpost

to machpost
said by machpost:

I'm with ArtJohn, the best connection is Ethernet for good solid streaming. You are probably a few feet away from your Router. Wireless just doesn't work for streaming HD, especially when 4K and 8K comes. I know like the commercial says, people don't like those wires, but if wired properly those wires are neat and out of site.

machpost
join:2002-01-11
Washington, DC

machpost

said by alchav:

said by machpost:

I'm with ArtJohn, the best connection is Ethernet for good solid streaming. You are probably a few feet away from your Router. Wireless just doesn't work for streaming HD, especially when 4K and 8K comes. I know like the commercial says, people don't like those wires, but if wired properly those wires are neat and out of site.

True, I live in a small apartment and the bedroom TV that gets Netflix over WiFi is maybe 50 feet away from the router.

original pos
@216.15.119.x

original pos

Anon

Yes, i stream wirelessly. Over GHz band. 20 feet away. Had 1080p for the past year and now no more. It's either the internal netflix app in my TV (which may have been updated) or its RCN.
original pos

original pos

Anon

meant to say 5GHz band.

artjohn
Premium Member
Chevy Chase, MD

artjohn to bosrcn

Premium Member

to bosrcn
The sad the reality is that there is no product that always reliably delivers trouble-free HD video content over a wireless connection.

There are just too many variables; sometimes it works, then a neighbors phone, wireless internet or microwave oven knocks you out.

This is true even if the distance is just a few rooms.

You really need to use a wired Ethernet connection for trouble free HD video streaming.

10/100 is fine. Gigabit Ethernet is better.

»www.smallnetbuilder.com/ ··· sentials

(see especially paragraphs 6 and 7 and additional referenced links)

good luck!

alchav
join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT

alchav

said by artjohn:

The sad reality is that there is no product that always reliably delivers trouble-free HD video content over a wireless connection.

I have said this for many years, and now it's becoming a sad reality, like you said. People still think that Wireless is the future for everything, but for Streaming HD Video to your home Ethernet is the best solution.