All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
John28
join:2012-08-10
Louisville, KY

John28

Recently upgraded my router to wndr4300 netgear.
Router has access control features to lock down the network a bit.
Had a bit of rough time setting up a android device galaxy s2.
While reviewing the attached devices, found this ip address associated with
the android device.

»db-ip.com/all/21.146.246
»db-ip.com/21.146.246.94

If I block access to that ip address, it blocks the android device from wifi access.

My question is, Has the android device been comprised, or is a normal function of a droid to relay with DoD, or any smartphone to have this feature.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE

MVM

...that netrange is associated with the US Dept of Defence... are you SURE about that?

Got a screenshot of the wndr4300's config pages you're referring to for reference?

Regards
drjenkins
join:2005-03-30
Bealeton, VA

drjenkins to John28

to John28
Where did you get that Galaxy S2?
John28
Louisville, KY

John28

Click for full size
Got the phone from the sprint store.
My wife has a couple months left on her term.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to John28

MVM

to John28
I'm presuming that the MAC address you redacted for the 21.146.246.94 IP address matches the MAC address of
the Galaxy?

Nothing else I can think of immediately off the top of my head here... but that IS wierd.

Regards
John28
Louisville, KY

John28

yep, same mac address. Just figured would be best not to post the mac addresses
My old router didnt display 21.146.246.94 on my network.

When I first set up the droid on the network, I selected the 5ghz band, which the device did connect, but keep dropping the network. So when I was turning that band off, is when i found 21.146.246.94.

I thought of putting the droid on the guest network?

thanks

DLow
join:2013-11-16
Waxahachie, TX

DLow

I'd be restoring the phone for the heck of it. That adress isn't going to show that it's in the network of the dod for no reason

Chubbzie
join:2014-02-11
Greenville, NC

Chubbzie to John28

to John28
Which cell carrier are you using? Sprint by any chance?

XANAVirus
Premium Member
join:2012-03-03
Lavalette, WV

XANAVirus

Premium Member

I also have Sprint. I would surmise that the S2 is sending out the IP address that has been assigned to its rmnet interface (the Cell Carrier data connection) through the wlan0 interface (the Wifi interface connecting to your router).

The reason that is happening, well it might be that the S2 is keeping the rmnet IP address around in case you are disconnected from the Wifi network so that it can immediately bring up the rmnet Cell Carrier interface. Or alternatively, it keeps that address around so that Sprint can address your S2 for calls and texting.

If you install OS Monitor on to the S2 (find it on the Google Play Store, free) and open it, move to the Misc section and scroll down to Network, you should see two IPs - one within your wireless network scope and the 21.x.x.x IP.

The one within your network scope should be assigned to the wlan0 interface and the 21.x.x.x IP to the rmnet_usb0 interface.

In short, I believe this is harmless and is just how Sprint decided to enable calls and texts to still occur even if Android defaults to WiFi for data.
John28
Louisville, KY

John28

Thank you for the detailed explanations. I believe its the most reasonable explanation for what was occurring. The two parts that alarmed me.

1 never seen in the attached devices within previous router
2 blocking the 21.x.x.x ip kills wifi connection

Seems to be a very poor network design , with a inability to off load to user local network. Perhaps, Its Sprint desire to control the data. While suffering from a inferior cell network. Sprint cant have it both ways.

Seems any network associated with dod ip addresses should not be supported with user fees, in the post snowden era of computing.

Fine if its a free access network.

Glad to be rid of sprint and 21.x.x.x ip

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

1 recommendation

dib22

said by John28:

Seems any network associated with dod ip addresses should not be supported with user fees, in the post snowden era of computing.

To be fair sprint has been using dark (or unused) DoD IP blocks for their own uses for as long as I can remember... they always use them internally (check the IP you will find it is not being announced anywhere)... now could this be part of the snooping? Sure... but if it is, sprint is the only carrier that lets its users see that its happening.

The current thinking is that they got access to the blocks from govt contracts in the past (or they were always sprints property and they re-named it for the govt contracts, etc).

Try turning on airplane mode first, then blocking that address then enable wifi only (leave cellco in airplane mode) and see if wifi works properly.