Search similar:

uniqs

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

1 recommendation

aurgathor

leaked Win 9 start menu

WTH is this?!? Looks to MS is still not getting it....

Of course there is still plenty of time to revise it, but methinks they are off to false start. Though I have to give a bonus point for the "Command Prompt".

»www.ibtimes.com/microsof ··· -1627546
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

Basically the same thing we saw from the build video already released months ago. Besides the desktop start menu, and windowed metro apps, they really need to have live tiles on the desktop since they refuse to patch the gadgets. I wouldn't want to click on the start button to see updates to my live tiles if I used any. I keep things like that on my second monitor.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

2 recommendations

Mele20 to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
That's pathetic. Where's Run? What's "people" and why is that in a desktop start menu? Why in the world is music and mail on there? Does "Mail" launch Thunderbird or SeaMonkey or Opera (all where I receive and send mail)?

Plus, that is so UGLY. Still hideous, garish colors that clash. Why doesn't Microsoft just ask Stardock if they can copy the Start8 menu? It's great.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

....Why doesn't Microsoft just ask Stardock if they can copy the Start8 menu? It's great.

Or just buy out the company and rename the product.

Won't be the first time that M$ has done THAT !

Windows Defender came from a buyout (of Giant Software).

And does anyone remember Doublespace/Drivespace from the DOS 6.x days ? (STAC Software's Stacker)

etc....
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I had forgotten the origins of Windows Defender and Giant software.

Microsoft got pissed at Stardock for using the Windows icon in the task bar for Start8 and told Stardock they could not use it on 8.1. aurgathor See Profile screenshot shows a plain, ugly Start icon. Why isn't Microsoft using the one they won't let Start8 use beginning with 8.1?

I think Microsoft would not know what to do with Stardock if they bought them.
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

AsherN to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

That's pathetic. Where's Run? What's "people" and why is that in a desktop start menu? Why in the world is music and mail on there? Does "Mail" launch Thunderbird or SeaMonkey or Opera (all where I receive and send mail)?

Plus, that is so UGLY. Still hideous, garish colors that clash. Why doesn't Microsoft just ask Stardock if they can copy the Start8 menu? It's great.

Win 7 does not have "Run" either. And if the tiles portion is customizable like the current 8.1U1 start menu, It'll be OK.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

What's "people" and why is that in a desktop start menu? Why in the world is music and mail on there? Does "Mail" launch Thunderbird or SeaMonkey or Opera (all where I receive and send mail)?

Those items on the right side of the start menu(People, Mail, Music, Calendar, Photos, etc) are all the Metro Apps that both you and I have removed.

So to answer your question, Mail will not launch Thunderbird or SeaMonkey. Clicking on the Mail app will launch whatever Microsoft has coded for that App. I've never used any of them as I uninstalled all of them from Windows 8.0, and the ones that I could from 8.1.

That being said, if you are able to uninstall the apps themselves, or unpin them like you could in Windows 8.x, then what you are left with is your Windows 7 Start Menu. I did notice on the bottom "All Apps" which, from the Windows 7 days, was "All Programs". To compare, here is a image (thanks google! ) of a typical Windows 7 start menu

So, instead of having the links (so to speak) for your libraries (Pictures, Music, Documents), Help, and Control Panel on the right side, Windows 9 will have the Metro Apps there instead.

If by clicking "All Apps" it expands the same way that "All Programs" did under Windows 7, and allowed you to have nested folders in that area like Windows 7 did, then Microsoft may finally be on to something.

It also appears that the bad colors of icons on the actual start menu itself (items on the left side) are gone, and are what they should be. Yes, the icons have colors, but they are all on a white background. Even the shortcuts for "Notepad", "Calculator" and "Command Prompt" look normal again!

So, it appears (at least to me) that Microsoft may be moving in the right direction after all.

The best option would be that if in Windows 9 the end user is given the option to either run "Start Menu" as shown in the first post for Windows 9, or "Start Screen" from Windows 8.x. Then, life would be perfect.

--Brian

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

1 recommendation

sivran

Premium Member

said by plencnerb:

The best option would be that if in Windows 9 the end user is given the option to either run "Start Menu" as shown in the first post for Windows 9, or "Start Screen" from Windows 8.x. Then, life would be perfect.

Let's have an option for Windows 2000 Start Menu too. I hate the 7 menu and would still install ClassicShell on it.

RyanThaDude
Indiana's No. 1 Zero
join:2004-01-24
Walkerton, IN

RyanThaDude to aurgathor

to aurgathor
Enough about the tiles on Desktop. I'm all for change, but they just can't let something so stupid for desktop/non-touch go.

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy to aurgathor

MVM

to aurgathor
What's all the crying about no Run? You can run right from the Search Windows and the web box, I do it all the time on Windows 7 machines. So it doesn't say Run any more, if functions just the same if that is what you want it to do.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to AsherN

Premium Member

to AsherN
My Windows 8.0 Pro has Run. Why would any knowledgeable of computers person be without it? I'm getting a bit tired of Microsoft trying to make all computer users into ignorant ones. Cory Doctrow talks about this and warns what is coming is going to be very ugly and disastrous and all because so may people are so lazy.
Mele20

Mele20 to plencnerb

Premium Member

to plencnerb
Click for full size
I don't like that either. But then I am NOT a Windows 7 fan. XP Pro is superior to Windows 7.

Here's how Windows 9 Start Menu should look for DESKTOP users. (Sorry, transparency is sometimes not so great).

LOL...I guess I have tried to get Chess.exe to run so many times Windows decided to put it in the Start menu that is immediately visible! I just noticed that now.

citizensin
The Deacon of the Bipartisan Party
Premium Member
join:2001-06-19
Fayette City, PA

4 recommendations

citizensin to AsherN

Premium Member

to AsherN
Click for full size
Taskbar and Start Menu Properties
Click for full size
Start Menu
Win 7 "Run" option can be enabled in the Start Menu via......

aurgathor
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to AsherN

to AsherN
said by AsherN:

Win 7 does not have "Run" either.

Not by default, but it can be added.
aurgathor

6 recommendations

aurgathor to plencnerb

to plencnerb
said by plencnerb:

So, it appears (at least to me) that Microsoft may be moving in the right direction after all.

IMHO, the best option would be several different styles (i.e. Metro, 9, 7, or XP style), or a highly and easily customizable start menu.

I'm having a hard time to comprehend why it's so difficult to offer choices good enough to stop people from complaining, especially since they had those start menus before, so it's not like they would have to reinvent the wheel. It was a little while ago, but I don't remember people complaining about the start menus back in Win 2k/XP days. I think MS started experimenting with changes during Vista and 7, so there was some grumbling, but nothing like the full scale revolt against 8.

If some people want a "retro" start menu, just let them have it for God's sake, instead of forcing them to use something they don't want and don't like.
TurtleFan
join:2003-05-03
Wyckoff, NJ

5 recommendations

TurtleFan to aurgathor

to aurgathor
dear microsoft, stop trying to be like Apple. If it isn't broke, d on't fix it. I don't want apps on my pc. that's what programs are for. signed, frustrated.
lorennerol
Premium Member
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA

3 recommendations

lorennerol to RyanThaDude

Premium Member

to RyanThaDude
said by RyanThaDude:

Enough about the tiles on Desktop. I'm all for change, but they just can't let something so stupid for desktop/non-touch go.

+1

Great idea for a phone or tablet, lousy for a desktop or laptop. Let it go MS, the jury is long-since in on Metro (or whatever we're calling it this month). While we're at it, can we please get an update for Office 2013 that uses more than two colors in the UI? White and gray is so 1989.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
said by aurgathor:

said by AsherN:

Win 7 does not have "Run" either.

Not by default, but it can be added.

It's hardcoded into the available options for the start menu. Like Citizen showed you. A couple of clicks in it will be there until your trigger off.

gwalk
Premium Member
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.

gwalk to AsherN

Premium Member

to AsherN
said by AsherN:

Win 7 does not have "Run" either

The Run command can be added to the Win7 start menu.

Right click the start button, select properties, on the start menu tab click the "customize button" ... scroll down the list and place a check mark in the "Run Command" box.
AsherN
Premium Member
Thornhill, ON

AsherN

Premium Member

It can be added, but is not there by default. And everything you can do with "run" can be done from the search bar.

@aurgathor: more choices mean more code, more testing, more possibility of bugs.

At some point we have to stop looking back. 8 was too jarring. 8.1U1 is much better. That leaked 9, providing they leave the right-click menu as well is a good compromise.

goalieskates
Premium Member
join:2004-09-12
land of big

1 recommendation

goalieskates

Premium Member

said by AsherN:

At some point we have to stop looking back.

If the new stuff doesn't work for the way we work and the old stuff did, why do we have to stop looking back?

If you like the new stuff, fine. But I'm not going to start running Metro (which is totally useless to me) because somebody else likes it.
AsherN
Premium Member
Thornhill, ON

AsherN

Premium Member

Never said I liked it. But forward motion is not always a bad thing. MS royally screwed up with 8.0. No question. 8.1U1 makes it usable. Still fugly, but usable. That Win9 menu brings back what we like and introduces the "other side". It's a good compromise. People bitched and complained when win95 came out. Should we have stayed with Win 3.1?
iknow_t
join:2012-05-03

iknow_t to aurgathor

to aurgathor
I've read the win9 is getting the start/run back, but then reading how Microsoft wants the activation to work, and they are still having problems getting that to work, who the heck wants win9? it's going to be a nightmare..

Rexter
Libertas, Aequitas, Veritas
join:2002-11-17
cloud 9

Rexter to aurgathor

to aurgathor
There's only one thing I can think of that's worse than the Start screen and no desktop menu... The Start screen on the desktop menu! Let's do it!!!

aurgathor
Lynnwood, WA

1 recommendation

aurgathor

Would you please stop giving stupid ideas to MS? I think they can do 'very well' on their own....    
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

3 recommendations

BlitzenZeus to AsherN

Premium Member

to AsherN
I still don't know who's thought pastel color overload was a good idea, I think this guy works in their user interface department as the lead.

spotted here in a video called "Tacky"
»www.nerdist.com/vepisode ··· s-happy/

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

And does anyone remember Doublespace/Drivespace from the DOS 6.x days ? (STAC Software's Stacker)

etc....

That was a great program for my XT with a 20 meg HC.
iknow_t
join:2012-05-03

iknow_t to aurgathor

to aurgathor
actually, if we get another like this for win9. »www.neowin.net/news/ex-m ··· s-8-code someone can add the start and run buttons!!

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

2 edits

1 recommendation

Davesnothere to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
said by aurgathor:

IMHO, the best option would be several different styles (i.e. Metro, 9, 7, or XP style), or a highly and easily customizable start menu.

I'm having a hard time to comprehend why it's so difficult to offer choices good enough to stop people from complaining, especially since they had those start menus before, so it's not like they would have to reinvent the wheel.

It was a little while ago, but I don't remember people complaining about the start menus back in Win 2k/XP days. I think MS started experimenting with changes during Vista and 7, so there was some grumbling, but nothing like the full scale revolt against 8.

If some people want a "retro" start menu, just let them have it for God's sake, instead of forcing them to use something they don't want and don't like !!!

EXACTLY !!!!!!!

Though I would suggest the Win2K Start menu instead of one of the others - or in addition to them.

THAT's the one which even XP called Classic.

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua

Premium Member

I feel the same way.