etaadmin
join:2002-01-17
united state

etaadmin to frontpage

to frontpage

Re: Comcast Cancel from Hell

said by frontpage :

said by etaadmin:

The guy managed to cancel his Comcast service, period. There is no need to put it in the front page of every newspaper.

umm yeah there is a need because there's a pending merger with TWC.

Well in that case I hope all the arguments against the comcast/twc merger are like this one, much ado about nothing... the merger should pass like a hot knife trough butter.

frontpage
@207.237.88.x

frontpage

Anon

said by etaadmin:

Some people think they are 'special' and too valuable to let go, a sense of self importance.

I hope that is not the case with you and you keep your job post merger
said by etaadmin:

Well in that case I hope all the arguments against the comcast/twc merger are like this one, much ado about nothing... the merger should pass like a hot knife trough butter.

there's 2 people on the planet downplaying this call. comcast corporate and you.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

said by frontpage :

there's 2 people on the planet downplaying this call. comcast corporate and you.

and me, that's three. Its clearly a maverick CSR, dont you think if it was some sort of Policy we might have heard about it before.

Hob

SoCalDude
join:2008-07-30
Oxnard, CA

SoCalDude to outtherenost

to outtherenost
Took a 5 minute call when I canceled TWC 3 years ago, guess I was lucky?
Matt7
join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH

Matt7 to hobgoblin

to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

and me, that's three. Its clearly a maverick CSR, dont you think if it was some sort of Policy we might have heard about it before.

Four - As someone who in the past (back in the mid 2000s) did support and at one point also did quality assurance for a major cable operator (not any mentioned in this thread) .. even at the retention level this type of call would be unacceptable and would fail quality on many aspects.

Retentions job is to retain the customer - but no matter what company I have ever dealt with after a few of their rebuttal points they end up willing to close the account.. I have never had an issue closing AT&T, Dish, or even Time Warner accounts in the past after briefly listening to their "promotion" offers.. and if I decline to hear about promotions the reps go ahead and process the disco.
Satch
join:2009-11-25

Satch to etaadmin

to etaadmin
said by etaadmin:

said by frontpage :

said by etaadmin:

The guy managed to cancel his Comcast service, period. There is no need to put it in the front page of every newspaper.

umm yeah there is a need because there's a pending merger with TWC.

Regardless of the call,

I oppose the merger because it would make cable an even bigger monopoly, and would eliminate choice for the customer. Many lawmakers even on opposing sides of political parties agree on this.

Remember, this is just one call. Charter, TWC, and Comcast get THOUSANDS of calls every day. Etaadmin, do you think the merger is a good thing? If so, why?

Satch

why60loss
Premium Member
join:2012-09-20

why60loss

Premium Member

said by Satch:

Regardless of the call,

I oppose the merger because it would make cable an even bigger monopoly, and would eliminate choice for the customer. Many lawmakers even on opposing sides of political parties agree on this.

Remember, this is just one call. Charter, TWC, and Comcast get THOUSANDS of calls every day. Etaadmin, do you think the merger is a good thing? If so, why?

Satch

I think the merger is good because Comcast upgrades there internet service a lot more than TWC.

That and they aren't as cheap on the upload.

Oh and X1>what ever TWC crap DVR/TV boxes. (Really it blew my mind on the speed of channel changes and other areas when it came to the almost not there input lag of the X1 against TWC and there crappy line of Samsung BS.)

Lastly this call is nothing against what I have dealt with on TWC when countless reps would pull something like this trying so freaking hard to sell turbo. I wanted to take the phone, walk all the way to TWC HQ and shove it up who ever the lead in marketing was that told tech support to upsell before even wanting to fix your issue/outage with your internet service.

I hardly see TWC VS Comcast a choice if you have to move out of state to do that. Like in a town with 11k pop I don't think TWC would ever give them 100mbs much less 150mbs like Comcast has. Oh and the only other choice being 1.5mbs DSL from Verizon. On top of that LTE is very limited and slow as mess.

I would guess that he has the same line of thinking I do, but really at this point I don't care so much as long as caps stay away. (If deal fails, I bet TWC will cap once more. Maybe 160GB this time in place of 40GB in 2009 and go look it's 4 times more. Hey if you sign up for turbo you get double the data and speed. LOL )

etaadmin
united state

etaadmin to Satch

to Satch
said by Satch:

Regardless of the call,

Satch

I'm in favor of the merger and if approved with consumer protection conditions (no caps and neutrality issues) the better.

The monopoly status of any company doesn't concern me unless it directly affects my interests (price and quality)

Right now my internet options are at&t uverse or TWC, after the merger my choices will be comcast or uverse. No change there.

My TV choices are uverse-tv, TWC, Directv and Dish network. After the merger my choices will be the same.

Why I like the merger? I like comcast's pace for introducing new technology. Comcast was the first to deploy Docsis3.0 while TWC was 'thinking about it' because of the backlash produced by the CAPS fiasco.

»arstechnica.com/tech-pol ··· n-doubt/

Comcast was the first of the two companies to increase internet speeds while TWC was still thinking about it. I like comcast's TV equipment and UI while TWC is still using 2000's STB technology and software.

With TWC I feel that I pay the same $$$ for less.
xcrunner529
join:2010-08-05
Columbus, OH

xcrunner529 to outtherenost

to outtherenost
Comcast has caps and TWC doesn't. And again, you conveniently ignore that the company would be much larger allowing it to have much more influence on the ISP landscape.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena

Premium Member

said by xcrunner529:

Comcast has caps and TWC doesn't.

And do you really believe that if the merger fails, and TWC keeps going on their own.... that TWC will not introduce caps?

The TWC CEO has said that there will remain a unlimited tier. But that also implies a lot of other tiers WILL be capped at some point. This echo's more or less what the previous CEO has said, that caps are "inevitable".

Of course they aren't doing anything right now, they don't want/need bad press, and saying they will keep an unlimited tier will only be received as positive.

But don't believe for a moment they can't change their minds at some point.

By the way: the Comcast cap is not enforced. It's a "legal" cap, meaning that if they want to, they can more easily disconnect an "annoying" (insert your own translation there) customer based on too much usage or something. There is no billing system in place.
maartena

maartena to etaadmin

Premium Member

to etaadmin
said by etaadmin:

Why I like the merger? I like comcast's pace for introducing new technology. Comcast was the first to deploy Docsis3.0 while TWC was 'thinking about it' because of the backlash produced by the CAPS fiasco.

Comcast was the first of the two companies to increase internet speeds while TWC was still thinking about it. I like comcast's TV equipment and UI while TWC is still using 2000's STB technology and software.

All this does not mean you will get their XFinity boxes any time soon. TWC has introduced their own top-of-the-line software and set-top boxes in the mean time, and I highly doubt that their system will work on the same network as the Comcast stuff. Hell, TWC finally got around to upgrading the old Comcast areas and Adelphia areas in the last 2 years after taking all those over here in the Los Angeles area.

And Comcast isn't a saint either in that department, there are plenty of areas that aren't using the "XFinity" platform yet, and won't be for quite some time. I have seen the same old Adelphia motorola DVR in use with TWC as well as Comcast areas, visiting family and friends over last year.

If the merger is approved, I would not expect any changes in the cable TV department soon. It's more likely we will see changes to the internet side of things, because the DOCSIS standard is all the same, and Comcast modem config files can much more easily be loaded into TWC modems.

Also, I would not be surprised if Comcast will push off some of the underperforming markets to another cable carrier. The merger in the end is to have a more efficient company, and with so many markets after the merger, I would not be surprised at all some markets simply may get sold off.
etaadmin
united state

etaadmin

said by maartena:

All this does not mean you will get their XFinity boxes any time soon. TWC has introduced their own top-of-the-line software and set-top boxes in the mean time, and I highly doubt that their system will work on the same network as the Comcast stuff. Hell, TWC finally got around to upgrading the old Comcast areas and Adelphia areas in the last 2 years after taking all those over here in the Los Angeles area.

Of course not but comcast's 'bullish' mentality will be a good change.
said by maartena:

And Comcast isn't a saint either in that department, there are plenty of areas that aren't using the "XFinity" platform yet, and won't be for quite some time. I have seen the same old Adelphia motorola DVR in use with TWC as well as Comcast areas, visiting family and friends over last year.

Companies are not saints or rock stars or demons to follow, admire or hate. They have their own selfish agendas and that's it. YMMV but the fact is that comcast used to have/offer better products and services than TWC, things are changing in the internet department with the deployment of MAXX.
said by maartena:

If the merger is approved, I would not expect any changes in the cable TV department soon. It's more likely we will see changes to the internet side of things, because the DOCSIS standard is all the same, and Comcast modem config files can much more easily be loaded into TWC modems.

Yes, I wouldn't expect anything new within one or two years in the TV arena, internet is another story.
said by maartena:

Also, I would not be surprised if Comcast will push off some of the underperforming markets to another cable carrier. The merger in the end is to have a more efficient company, and with so many markets after the merger, I would not be surprised at all some markets simply may get sold off.

I don't know about this one probably they would like to keep as many subscribers as possible, strength is in the numbers.
SESnut
join:2000-03-06
Beverly Hills, CA

SESnut to hobgoblin

to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

said by frontpage :

Hob

if you say so

»consumerist.com/2014/07/ ··· -normal/

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

said by SESnut:

if you say so

I do say so and a consumerist article quoting anonymous ex employees is hardly going to change my mind.

Hob
SESnut
join:2000-03-06
Beverly Hills, CA

SESnut

are you telling me they don't have disconnect quotas?

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

said by SESnut:

are you telling me they don't have disconnect quotas?

I am not telling you anything, I am stating an opinion.

Hob

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC to hobgoblin

Premium Member

to hobgoblin
It took me 3 minutes to disconnect my old charter services.
jpatton1979
join:2011-08-10
Louisville, KY
Pace 5268AC
Ubiquiti Unifi Security Gateway Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

jpatton1979 to hobgoblin

to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

Its clearly a maverick CSR, dont you think if it was some sort of Policy we might have heard about it before.

I agree this guy went to far. However, if this is true it could explain why.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

Its on the Internet, it must be true

Hob
Davek
join:2014-07-17

Davek to outtherenost

to outtherenost
Seems you need to reach out to high publicity third parties just to remedy a simple log in issue.

»consumerist.com/2014/07/ ··· -shrugs/

Comcast is best avoided, obviously.
Satch
join:2009-11-25

Satch to maartena

to maartena
said by maartena:

said by etaadmin:

We here in Wisconsin on an approved merger, would be sold to Charter.

Satch
Satch

Satch to maartena

to maartena
said by maartena:

said by etaadmin:

Comcast (and Charter) use mostly the same boxes, so there probably would not be changes there for some time. The Comcast Xfinity has some bugs. You probably won't see the newer boxes across the markets, until all SA's are purged from ALL TWC/Comcast/Charter systems around the country. My best guess is that's another 3-5 years. Hob, is that a realistic turn-around time, or too hard to predict because of product variation from division to division?

Signature Home is not even out in some areas, (forgot which ones) so for those areas, there is no incentive for TWC to invest in newer boxes. Charter does not have Signature Home, but President Tom Rutledge wants it, so that Charter can expand with multi-room service.

Satch
jpatton1979
join:2011-08-10
Louisville, KY
Pace 5268AC
Ubiquiti Unifi Security Gateway Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

jpatton1979 to hobgoblin

to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

Its on the Internet, it must be true

Hob

I guess so

Rick4769
join:2012-11-21
Buffalo, NY

Rick4769 to outtherenost

to outtherenost
I found this on the internet and it was true!

»consumerist.com/2014/05/ ··· cast-hq/
etaadmin
united state

etaadmin

said by Rick4769:

I found this on the internet and it was true!

»consumerist.com/2014/05/ ··· cast-hq/

That cake looks awful, probably full of carbs, sugar and fat. Not very healthy if you ask me... probably poisoned too.

I would give that bakery the worst bakery award.

jacko15
@174.100.251.x

jacko15 to jpatton1979

Anon

to jpatton1979
PCWorld weighs in with some more info.
»www.pcworld.com/article/ ··· _pcwbest