spc
Search similar:

uniqs

hdspts2
@173.54.99.x

hdspts2

Anon

DVR - no ability to "trim" adjoining timelots

I generally love the features added to the FIOS DVR as of late, particularly the ability to restore deleted shows, and the ability to extend programs that are already recording. It is clearly superior to those DVR I have seen at friends homes who have Comcast. But there is one feature that they have that I wish were included in the FIOS software. More and more, network and cable channels have programs extending their program's 1/2 hour or hour slot by a minute, either to squeeze in an extra commercial, or to immediately go from the closing credits of one show to he opening of the next in order to hold on to viewers. This creates a headache when the VCR will not record your two 10 pm show because you are recording a previous show that runs from 9:30 pm to 10:01. Comcast has a trim feature that seamlessly allows recording of all shows....of course, you lose a minute of one of them, but it beats trying have to do the same using manual recording.

Incidentally, there might even be a bug in using the manual recording. There was a show, that should have "fit" by setting the starting time for 9:01 pm, but I still got the error message that I could not record three programs at one time. I thought I must have been the one miscalculating, but I could not find an error, and when I set the starting time for 9:06 pm and then set it to start 5 minuteds early, it was accepted!

BSAIII
join:2007-06-16
Las Vegas, NV

BSAIII

Re: DVR - no ability to "trim" adjoining timelots

I have been complaining about this for a long time. While getting the software fixed is one option the complaints should be made to the networks. They know why they do it. I hope they know no one watches closing credits if there is a viewing/recording conflict.

While I am ranting I wish they would remove the network bug on the screen. I know what network I am tuned to.
ansky
join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ

ansky to hdspts2

to hdspts2
I was actually going to post something very similar. I have the same issue every Monday night. My wife records The Bachelorette and Major Crimes which both end at 10:01pm. I have Under the Dome set to record at 10pm but that always fails because of the other 2 shows ending a minute late. I agree and wish there was a way to trim the Bachelorette by a minute. What I have to do now is remember to manually stop it at 10 so UTD will record.
marc3565
join:2009-10-08

marc3565

go with VMS... it resolves this issue

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by marc3565:

go with VMS... it resolves this issue

No, it doesn't resolve the issue. It only hides it by having more tuners available.

nascar
join:2000-02-28
Verona, NJ

nascar to hdspts2

to hdspts2
Set them up in Series.

Example: If you have 3 Series Recordings in this priority...

Program A 9:00 pm - 10:01 pm
Program B 9:00 pm - 10:01 pm
Program C 10:00 pm - 11:00 pm

Program C will record at 10:01 pm once Program A or B finishes recording at 10:01 pm.

*** Do not delete any programs from your "Scheduled Recordings" ***

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

Deleted, sorry
ansky
join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ

ansky to nascar

to nascar
said by nascar:

Set them up in Series.

Example: If you have 3 Series Recordings in this priority...

Program A 9:00 pm - 10:01 pm
Program B 9:00 pm - 10:01 pm
Program C 10:00 pm - 11:00 pm

Program C will record at 10:01 pm once Program A or B finishes recording at 10:01 pm.

*** Do not delete any programs from your "Scheduled Recordings" ***

Yes, that's how I have mine set up. Though I would prefer to miss the last minute of the 9pm show than the first minute of the 10pm show.

BSAIII
Las Vegas, NV

BSAIII to hdspts2

to hdspts2
The channels are just screwing with us. Check USA tonight. Graceland at 7:00 runs 62 minutes. The repeat at 10:04 runs 60 minutes. And check their schedule tomorrow night.

Time for the FCC to get involved.
BSAIII

1 edit

BSAIII to hdspts2

to hdspts2
content deleted by poster

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to BSAIII

Premium Member

to BSAIII
said by BSAIII:

The channels are just screwing with us. Check USA tonight. Graceland at 7:00 runs 62 minutes. The repeat at 10:04 runs 60 minutes. And check their schedule tomorrow night.

There should not be an issue as long as it's in the guide. It's when the guide doesn't reflect it and the time runs longer than advertised.

BSAIII
Las Vegas, NV

BSAIII

Even if it is in the guide it is a problem. A show that runs to 9:01 will prevent one of two shows set to record at 9:00 from recording.

keyboards
join:2001-02-14
Doylestown, PA

keyboards

Doesn't anyone remember when TBS used to start their shows at 5 and 35 after the hour? Same BS to try and keep you in their channel.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL to BSAIII

to BSAIII
said by BSAIII:

Why would the FCC have any authority over programming times, especially for non-OTA networks? Just curious...

BSAIII
Las Vegas, NV

BSAIII

Well, someone must have authority over the non-broadcast nets.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

said by BSAIII:

Well, someone must have authority over the non-broadcast nets.

The market place. And I don't believe the FCC actually has authority over OTAs for this either.
John W4
join:2007-08-05
Springfield, VA

John W4 to hdspts2

to hdspts2
Get a TIVO. It will automatically trim one (or more) programs, or you can manually set it to add or delete a minute or two from any program set to record.
dfwguy
join:2013-10-24

dfwguy to PJL

to PJL
Not having authority to do something has never stopped the FCC from doing it before. It's all fair game until Congress or a federal court says otherwise.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

1 edit

aaronwt to BSAIII

Premium Member

to BSAIII
said by BSAIII:

Even if it is in the guide it is a problem. A show that runs to 9:01 will prevent one of two shows set to record at 9:00 from recording.

Then you need more tuners.

Even when I first got TiVo in 2001 I had six tuners to use with three DirecTv TiVos.. Since even with VCRs in the 20th century, two tuners had never been enough. I also had six tuners with VCRs in the 90's.