spc
Search similar:

uniqs

BW
@216.86.51.x

BW

Anon

Ethernet connection in 2nd room

I have my Router in the Living room but have a job that requires a home office with a hardline/ethernet connection (NOT WIRELESS) in a 2nd rooom. I'd like to just use something to transfer the signal from the cable from the wall to ethernet to use with my work computer to satisfy my new company. Can anyone advise?

JoeyD
@173.69.42.x

JoeyD

Anon

»Verizon FiOS FAQ »Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax?

Jehu
Premium Member
join:2002-09-13
MA

Jehu to BW

Premium Member

to BW
get one of these:
»www.amazon.com/Actiontec ··· 08C1JC4O

or get another fios router to use as a coax bridge (cheap on ebay, craigs).
kevnich24
join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL

kevnich24 to BW

to BW
Go with this: »teleproducts.verizon.com ··· home/620

Gives you 2 ethernet ports and extends your wifi.

PoloDude
Premium Member
join:2006-03-29
Aiken, SC

PoloDude to BW

Premium Member

to BW
And what company is requiring you to go hard wired? I hate companies like this, they don't know what the hell they are talking about most of the time.
anti_windoze
join:2001-07-08
Fontana, CA

anti_windoze to BW

to BW
i just bought one of the Actiontec Ethernet to Coax Adapter for Homes with Cable TV Service (ECB2500C) on ebay for $40.00. i was using my old westell fios router for the moca bridge but the router died a few weeks ago.

buckingham
Doylstown Pa
Premium Member
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA

buckingham to PoloDude

Premium Member

to PoloDude
said by PoloDude:

And what company is requiring you to go hard wired? I hate companies like this, they don't know what the hell they are talking about most of the time.

Quite a few companies required this for security reasons, especially for folks working as contact center agents or others handling confidential information. Many of these are very large companies that certainly do know their IT ropes. AMEX is one of them, for example.

PA23
join:2001-12-12
East Hanover, NJ

PA23 to PoloDude

to PoloDude
said by PoloDude:

The rules get set by some auditor someplace because they heard that somebody can monitor your wireless transmissions when you connect at the local Starbucks.

In corporations that handle a large amount of sensitive data (Money, Personal data etc) they simply error on the side of absolute caution.

The IT department not willing to make waves since waves only get you fired just accepts the auditor's rules and moves on.
dfwguy
join:2013-10-24

dfwguy to buckingham

to buckingham
I would hope that anyone doing that sort of stuff remotely is doing it all via VPN. And if someone can break into your VPN, then wireless is the least of your security worries.

buckingham
Doylstown Pa
Premium Member
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA

buckingham

Premium Member

said by dfwguy:

I would hope that anyone doing that sort of stuff remotely is doing it all via VPN. And if someone can break into your VPN, then wireless is the least of your security worries.

Yes, they are most certainly using VPN and secure protocols. They may or may not also be using and SBC for remote voice. In addition to security concerns, some companies require wired connections to improve voice quality for voice soft-clients...WiFi can and does have variable performance for that.

For the record, I'm "in the biz" and design communication systems for large enterprises so I am in conversations all the time with clients about this kind of thing. I personally use wired connections in my home office for everything except my iPhone and iPad when it comes to any of my business activity. And I can tell when a colleague on the other end of a call is on Wifi...it happened this afternoon, as a matter of fact, when we were playing with some new technology.
MZ123
join:2014-07-21
US

MZ123 to anti_windoze

to anti_windoze
We've got one of those as well and it's doing the job. The product that kevnich24 linked to seems similar, though it provides 2 ethernet ports versus the Actiontec's one.

Another option might be a pair of ethernet adapters that work using the house's electrical wiring, such as these:
»www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-P ··· title_ce - if the poster does not have coax in the targeted room, these might be the easiest solution.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy to PoloDude

Premium Member

to PoloDude
said by PoloDude:

... if you only knew the half of it. I'd say you'd be shocked at what companies require such things. I'm thinking of one, in particular, that would be incredibly ironic in this case ......