Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia

Thor is now a woman

WTF? Seems Marvel has decided that Thor is going to have a sex change and become a woman (ok I made that part up) , seriously though, Marvel has decided that Thor is now a woman, not a She-Thor, but THOR the one and only Thor.

On Tuesday, the comic book juggernaut announced — on The View, somewhat strangely — that its Asgardian hero Thor will be portrayed by a woman in an upcoming series, simply titled Thor.

»arts.nationalpost.com/2014/07/15···reveals/
--
My Name is Wiley E Coyote, Super Genius

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
That is interesting,...

I thought there was a number of variants of the name "Thor" specific to or used specifically for females such as "Thora" for example.

Doesn't matter I guess. I mean to say that the idea of a Female God shouldn't be all that surprising since some of the earliest figures of worship were Female. It just doesn't seem to hold with the continuity of the Marvel adaptation we all know.

It could be an interesting bit of writing though. Think of it,....

Loki is up to his old tricks and wants to wipe his half brother from history. So he sets his plan in motion only to find that he successfully turned his half brother into his half sister rather then expunging him from lore

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

5 recommendations

reply to elwoodblues
That's retarded.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
said by Krisnatharok:

That's retarded.

My thoughts exactly
--
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
reply to elwoodblues

“Thor, the God of Thunder, he messed up,” co-host Whoopi Goldberg said on the ABC talk show. “He is no longer worthy to hold that damn hammer of his. … And for the first time in history that hammer is being held by a woman.”

Marvel has not made it clear how, exactly, its new female hero comes to inherit Thor’s mighty hammer, Mjolnir — or who, exactly, she is.

“The inscription on Thor’s hammer reads ‘Whosoever holds this hammer, if HE be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor.’ Well it’s time to update that inscription,” Marvel editor Wil Moss said in a statement. “The new Thor continues Marvel’s proud tradition of strong female characters like Captain Marvel, Storm, Black Widow and more. And this new Thor isn’t a temporary female substitute — she’s now the one and only Thor, and she is worthy!”

Hmm. This explanation by comics expert Whoopie Goldberg leaves open the possiblilty of going back to the status quo if things don't work out.
--
The world was movin' she was right there with it and she was

Niarlan
Excelsior
Premium
join:2002-11-09
Manville, NJ
reply to elwoodblues
If you have been following the comics, Loki was recently a female also...then was a male kid and is now a teenager. They just seem to want to mix it up...but I agree..Thor as a lady...nah...

Nia

bionicRod
Premium
united state

5 recommendations

reply to elwoodblues
The top comment from that page pretty much sums up my thoughts:

I applaud them for wanting to make strong female protagonists, but come on. Don't replace a well-known male character and simply make it female. That's just lazy and smacks of exploiting their audience. Make a new female lead character that's interesting instead.

I don't want a black James Bond. Give us a new great character and make him black from the start. I don't want an Asian Superman. Make a new hero who happens to be Asian if you really insist on it. I don't want a female Thor, or Toni Stark, or Aquaperson. Make new characters.

--

TigerLord
For Value Received
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8

1 recommendation

reply to elwoodblues
Will the new Thor be all bitchy when flow comes to town?

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
join:2002-03-30
Reading, PA
reply to elwoodblues

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
Reading, PA
reply to elwoodblues
So what does this mean for any future Thor movies?
Do they fire hemsworth and hire some chick? Or do they tell hemsworth to shave?

--
Insert thoughtful/witty/meaningful/poetic/funny/deep/rude/stupid/random/comment here.
Be unique...ya know, like everyone else.

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to elwoodblues
Would an established female super hero ever be changed to male? Wonder Woman, black widow, cat woman, elektra...

Why not make fantastic 4's invisible woman into a guy and with mr. fantastic have a gay superhero couple instead?

Sooner or later, it's gonna happen.
--
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. - Sir Winston Churchill

bionicRod
Premium
united state

2 recommendations

said by juilinsandar:

Why not make fantastic 4's invisible woman into a guy and with mr. fantastic have a gay superhero couple instead?

Sooner or later, it's gonna happen.

obligatory Ambiguously Gay Duo pic
--

mistermr

@204.209.209.x

1 recommendation

Uh, Thor is not becoming a woman. It just happens that a woman has gotten control of Thor's hammer, just like other comic book characters have in the past. This is nothing new.

DelmarPip
Premium
join:2011-10-15
Brownsville, TX
reply to elwoodblues
Click for full size
new thor
i found her pic

PX Eliezer
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Graustark
kudos:7

1 recommendation

reply to mistermr
said by mistermr :

Uh, Thor is not becoming a woman. It just happens that a woman has gotten control of Thor's hammer....

That's an old problem in relationships....

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to elwoodblues

I applaud them for wanting to make strong female protagonists, but come on. Don't replace a well-known male character and simply make it female. That's just lazy and smacks of exploiting their audience. Make a new female lead character that's interesting instead.

I don't want a black James Bond. Give us a new great character and make him black from the start. I don't want an Asian Superman. Make a new hero who happens to be Asian if you really insist on it. I don't want a female Thor, or Toni Stark, or Aquaperson. Make new characters.

...this is my personal / bias opinion here, but

a) originality in [insert medium here] seems to be lacking and/or managerially held back these days

b) I feel Marvel / DC have either some pretty strict clauses and/or editorial direction about creating new
original characters. I generally go to the smaller independents for this stuff.

My 00000010bits

Regards

Mashiki_a

@198.48.236.x
reply to elwoodblues
Thread full of people who've never read any of the poetic edda's. In other news, Thor can be whatever he want's, including a "she" and it's still true to the mythology.

Niarlan
Excelsior
Premium
Manville, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to elwoodblues
Thing is...anyone who has lifted the hammer, who is deemed worthy, never called themselves Thor. Closest is Thunderstrike....Here are all the Earth 616 people who have lifted Mjolnir :

Earth-616 reality

Beta Ray Bill
Odin
Red Norvell
Steve Rogers operating as US Agent
Thunderstrike Eric Masterson.
Superman: Temporary grant by Thor
Wonder Man
Bor

So the point is ... this new female asgardian who can lift the hammer is going to call herself Thor? Not sure of the reason for that...oh and Hulk don't count...

Nia

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
Reading, PA
reply to DelmarPip
said by DelmarPip:

i found her pic

Ah, it's the Same pic from the link posted by OP.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit
reply to elwoodblues
WTF?!

Changing shyt up just for the sake up changing shyt up is bullsh!t when you've already got an established fan base who loves the character is he/she has always been. I hate this shyt! This is exactly why I stopped reading comics after they pulled that whole the Peter Parker who we have come to know and love all these years is not really Peter Parker, he's a clone and the real one has been held captive all these years. Now I know that later on after the backlash, they backtracked and did a clean up of their fux up, but still, it's the same kind of shyt they did by killing Captain America, and killing Superman. Don't do sh!t just for the sake of trying to change sh!t up. FAIL!!!!

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
reply to elwoodblues
I don't see the big deal, but I'm not a big Thor fan.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
Reading, PA
reply to elwoodblues
I'm not a comic geek by any means. I enjoy reading them. But heck, the last time I read a comic would have been the Marvel Civil War (or what ever it was called). So yeah that tells you how much I know about the industry. But with that said, from the article:

“The inscription on Thor’s hammer reads ...‘Whosoever holds this hammer, if HE be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor.’

If you possess the power of Thor, do you need to be called "Thor"?

I mean if it said, "Whosoever holds this hammer, if they be worthy, shall possess the power of Jennifer". Would the male character be called Jennifer?

Of course not, so why call the female character by the name that has always been carried by a male character.

Even though "Thor" may be a 'unisex' name, comic fans have come to know that name and the person holding it, to be a male character.

But I guess really, I don't give a shit cause like I said I don't read comic books that much if at all. And if it affects the movie, shit...it'll most likely still be a summer blockbuster.
--
Insert thoughtful/witty/meaningful/poetic/funny/deep/rude/stupid/random/comment here.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

I hope it doesn't affect the movie. I think the actors do a great job and have a pretty good on-screen dynamic, I'd hate to see that change. Plus, I don't want to see Stark hitting on Thor for half of the movie.
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
said by Rook008:

Plus, I don't want to see Stark hitting on Thor for half of the movie.

That would actually be pretty funny...
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to onebadmofo
Pretty sure it's Thor, son of Odin. Not daughter.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
Reading, PA
said by Krisnatharok:

Pretty sure it's Thor, son of Odin. Not daughter.

Apparently not any more.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
Reading, PA
reply to Rook008
said by Rook008:

I hope it doesn't affect the movie. I think the actors do a great job and have a pretty good on-screen dynamic, I'd hate to see that change. Plus, I don't want to see Stark hitting on Thor for half of the movie.

Aaah we all know that Avengers will come to an end if it hasn't already. It'll be rebooted at least 4 more fuckin times. Ya know, just in case you forgot how they got together the first time.

Spiderman, well we had to see how he got his power .....again. Rather than just simply continue the story and introduce more enemies.

Batman, will be more of the same. We'll see how he became Batman as if we don't already know.

I really don't understand why they simply just don't continue the story with who ever the hell plays the role.
--

Niarlan
Excelsior
Premium
Manville, NJ
said by onebadmofo:

I really don't understand why they simply just don't continue the story with who ever the hell plays the role.

Ever hear what Adam West did after Batman?...yeah...me either.

Nia

SRFireside

join:2001-01-19
Houston, TX
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

...in an upcoming series, simply titled Thor.

That tells me this could just be a some mini-series or spin off and not a full on changing the character to a woman in all the comic versions.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Niarlan
said by Niarlan:

said by onebadmofo:

Ever hear what Adam West did after Batman?...yeah...me either.

Nia

Uhhh... yeah. The Simpsons.
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo