Premium Member
join:2006-11-26
Llano, CA

1 recommendation

Zach

Premium Member

LOL VZW

quote:
Previously, prepaid users were allowed allowed on Verizon's EVDO/3G/CDMA network to reduce strain on the LTE network.

Should be interesting to see how this works out. 'round here LTE is so oversold that, unless it's the middle of the night, EVDO is usually faster.
78036364 (banned)
join:2014-05-06
USA

78036364 (banned)

said by Zach:

quote:
Previously, prepaid users were allowed allowed on Verizon's EVDO/3G/CDMA network to reduce strain on the LTE network.

Should be interesting to see how this works out. 'round here LTE is so oversold that, unless it's the middle of the night, EVDO is usually faster.

"oversold"? Interesting term. Anyway when your area gets XTLE lit up that should help. Also Verizon is converting a portion of their 3G spectrum to LTE next year.

SmilingBob
join:2013-09-23
League City, TX

SmilingBob to Zach

to Zach
said by Zach:

Same here, which is why I dropped Verizon and went with Pageplus. 3G is more than fast enough for a cellphone, i notice zero difference from 4G except that 3G was usually faster during peak hours. Saving over $1200/year for 3 phones and loving every minute of it.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

Well technically you didn't drop Verizon, you are just on wholesale, but it is still Verizon (and some others to fill coverage gaps). I had PPC for years, but gave up when the newer VZ phones are all LTE and unsupported on PPC. Sure I could flash, but why bother.

WHEN PPC starts offering LTE, it will be good, however I'm sure it will come with a commensurate Verizon tax downstream.

I can get LTE/AT&T on a number of MVNO using the latest kit for less $$$.

SmilingBob
join:2013-09-23
League City, TX

SmilingBob

Ofcourse you are right, PPC uses Verizon network but currently 3G only. And I agree, the selection of phones is terrible with PPC so I simply flashed both mine and wife's Bionic phones which was really easy to do. The deciding factor for us was being able to keep our phones and just migrate to the MVNO without having to purchase a new GSM phone if we had gone to a different provider.