quitaccount
DSLR sucks cocks
Premium Member
join:2000-11-13

quitaccount

Premium Member

cool things found in walls........

Click for full size
so i'm FINALLY getting my original-to-the-house 1964 bathroom redone. we found some old newspapers as expected, and a nice vintage Ballantyne Draft steel beer can.

post up some cool stuff you have found----i'm curious to see what others have encountered. I did find a 1930's era hat in my mother-in-law's ceiling, but I unfortunately didn't get a picture of it .
quitaccount

1 edit

quitaccount

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
a few of the poor gutted bathroom LOL

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka to quitaccount

MVM

to quitaccount
A newspaper from 1982 about the Soviet shootdown of KAL007.

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
MVM
join:2002-06-15

davidg to quitaccount

MVM

to quitaccount
after my grandmother had an attic fire in 1999 I ran new TV/Telco cable for her. the part over the rear bedroom area had never been disturbed as far as she could remember, they bought the house new in 1964. I pulled back the insulation to drop the lines into the wall and found an old Zippo lighter. I still have it in a drawer here somewhere.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to quitaccount

to quitaccount

Children's crayon drawings behind paneling of the basement that was originally "finished" in 1973 (According to an inscription in the brick mortar of the NG fireplace).

Those kids are now in their late 40s.
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl to quitaccount

to quitaccount
ive found a few Expo67 drinking glasses (house was built in 67) and when they ripped up the sidewalks last year i found a glass pepsi bottle that survived under the sidewalk all these years.
harald
join:2010-10-22
Columbus, OH

harald to quitaccount

to quitaccount
The real piece of history is the copper drain lines. Hard to believe with today's prices that copper was at one time used for drains.

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium Member
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

rfhar to quitaccount

Premium Member

to quitaccount
I have an old light bulb I found in the in-law's attic while helping them move. It has a point on the top of the bulb. They had to "hide" all the knob and tube before the city would let them sell the house.

quitaccount
DSLR sucks cocks
Premium Member
join:2000-11-13

quitaccount to harald

Premium Member

to harald
said by harald:

The real piece of history is the copper drain lines. Hard to believe with today's prices that copper was at one time used for drains.

I was a little surprised by that. I know the house was built in '64, but I was still expecting to see PVC for some reason LOL
66860111 (banned)
join:2014-04-28

1 edit

66860111 (banned) to quitaccount

to quitaccount

I found some 1960 newspapers and a set of near mint condition Chevy Bel Air 1957 & Ford Mustang 1967-1969 hubcaps when I opened part of the attic which was sealed off to add insulation last year.

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium Member
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA

stevek1949 to quitaccount

Premium Member

to quitaccount
I remember that Ballantine used to be the official beer of the Yankees. Mel Allen used to use the phrase "The Three Ring Sign for Ballantine" as part of the advertising. Ballantine is now owned by Pabst.

Boooost
@151.190.40.x

Boooost to quitaccount

Anon

to quitaccount
In the development where I used to live, one neighbor found some animal feces, and another unit had a dead skunk in the wall.

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties to quitaccount

Premium Member

to quitaccount
I don't have a picture, but I found 12 pieces of new aluminum siding. Seems the builder just left them in the wall.
The cool thing was, a few months later, I needed to have a repair, and having a few of them helped blend in the work outside.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97 to quitaccount

Premium Member

to quitaccount
A friend decided to open up the wall to access the area beneath the landing for his staircase to the second floor. It was dead space and it made perfect sense to open it up, install a door, and use it for storage. Well, it appears the construction crew used to eat lunch in there. There were fast food bags, cups, napkins, and such sitting there just like the crew had just finished eating then immediately hung the drywall.

Mike I
@169.253.194.x

Mike I to quitaccount

Anon

to quitaccount
I grew up in an old house that had been renovated many times. Opening up a wall to do our own work was always like Christmas.

The best thing we found was a cheap Iver Johnson handgun from the early 1900s. Unfortunately it was rusted to slag...

The worst thing was pulling the medicine cabinet in the bath room and finding hundreds of double-edge razor blades that had been pushed through the slot in the back of the cabinet.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

1 edit

2 recommendations

Hall to quitaccount

MVM

to quitaccount
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Note the story headline
Click for full size
Click for full size
Beer distributor still in business
Click for full size
Tire (and auto repair now) shop still in business
Click for full size
Comics from the 40s
Click for full size
Ad for Cedar Point
Click for full size
This isn't an "in walls" find, but how about an under carpet and linoleum (??) find ?

The newspaper's date was May 23, 1943 or 1945 (probably '43).

========
Uh-oh, I deleted one of the pictures and that screwed up the caption order. You can probably figure out which ones go with which though.

sempergoofy
Premium Member
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA

sempergoofy to Mike I

Premium Member

to Mike I
said by Mike I :

The worst thing was pulling the medicine cabinet in the bath room and finding hundreds of double-edge razor blades that had been pushed through the slot in the back of the cabinet.

Been there, done that with the razor blades.

I found a pair of lineman's pliers in one wall once. And an old 1970's vintage Gulf gasoline credit card purchase receipt.

Instead of "treasures" most of what I have found behind walls are poor construction technique.
66860111 (banned)

66860111 (banned)

said by sempergoofy:

Instead of "treasures" most of what I have found behind walls are poor construction technique.

Poor for the time it was built or poor by today's standards? Hindsight is always 20-20.
vectravl400
Premium Member
join:2008-01-16
The Pas, MB

vectravl400 to quitaccount

Premium Member

to quitaccount
I found an old multibit screwdriver. It was orange with a spring loaded twist cap and all the bits still in it. Not in the wall, but in the ceiling I pulled down a couple of years ago. Someone must have dropped it into the insulation.
harald
join:2010-10-22
Columbus, OH

1 recommendation

harald to quitaccount

to quitaccount
Well, I can top you all.

One football Saturday, I was talking with my pharmacist, who owned my grandparent's old house. She remarked that they had been doing some remodelling and had found something that might belong to me.

My mother's college diploma from 1932.

F100
join:2013-01-15
Durham, NC
Alcatel-Lucent G-010G-A
(Software) pfSense
Pace 5268AC

F100 to quitaccount

to quitaccount
My house was built around 1980 and when I replaced a few exterior cedar siding boards during a repaint a few years ago, there was writing on the back that said, "Jon Travolta Sucks", and "Willie Nelson, Whiskey River". Clearly that crew wasn't into the disco scene. I kept that board and will have to take a picture.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
MVM
join:2002-05-24

UHF to quitaccount

MVM

to quitaccount
Not very cool, but I found at least a thousand hickory nuts a few years ago above the ceiling.
66860111 (banned)

66860111 (banned)

said by UHF:

Not very cool, but I found at least a thousand hickory nuts a few years ago above the ceiling.

Squirrel stash?
Gnarlodious
join:2003-06-25
Santa Fe, NM

Gnarlodious to quitaccount

to quitaccount
Click for full size
Shuffleboard

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
MVM
join:2002-05-24

UHF to 66860111

MVM

to 66860111
I would assume so. Not sure if they got there during construction, or sometime later. This was between the ceiling and the floor above, and I did find a small opening around the gas line where critters could have gotten in, and sealed it up. But these had to be old, like I said, no hickory trees around anymore. A neighbor said he though there was one across the street back in the 60s. House was built in '62.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

1 recommendation

ptrowski to Hall

Premium Member

to Hall
I love how the extra tobacco in that ad supposedly acted as a natural filter to protect your throat........

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

1 recommendation

John97

Premium Member

I've seen olden-time ads for cigarettes that said recommended by doctors, etc.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to harald

Premium Member

to harald
said by harald:

I think that varies considerably from area to area. Our house was built in 90 and it still has copper drain lines! Wish I could cash them in.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to quitaccount

Premium Member

to quitaccount
I have't found anything cool in walls.
iknow_t
join:2012-05-03

iknow_t to Msradell

to Msradell
said by Msradell:

said by harald:

I think that varies considerably from area to area. Our house was built in 90 and it still has copper drain lines! Wish I could cash them in.

I wouldn't think a P.E. would need to do that..