Search similar:

uniqs

Rexter
Libertas, Aequitas, Veritas
join:2002-11-17
cloud 9

Rexter

all access to all user with chmod

If I have a folder where I want everyone to have full access to all files and folder inside can I just do:

sudo chmod -R 777 Folder

Salty_Peaks
@173.255.181.x

Salty_Peaks

Anon

Hi Rexter,

If you're setting something world-writable, you're doing it wrong. Can you explain your intent and desired outcome? Explicitly, world writable is so bad... yeah it's bad.

Rexter
Libertas, Aequitas, Veritas
join:2002-11-17
cloud 9

Rexter

It's simply a share folder on the local drive. I want all local users to have full access.

Black Box
join:2002-12-21

Black Box

Usually you would create a group (e.g. everyone) and add all users to it.

Most likely you don't want to give access to the folder to all daemons running as special users in the background.

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert to Rexter

Mod

to Rexter
said by Rexter:

can I just do:

sudo chmod -R 777 Folder

Yes.

I'm not sure why people are giving hedged answers.

I happen to have a directory where I have set 777 permissions. It's actually a directory that I share with samba, and those permissions allow any computer on the LAN to read/write files there.

I trust the users of the LAN enough to not be worried about this. And what goes in that directory is not all that crucial if somebody deletes it.

I'm not sure what Rexter See Profile plans to do with his folder, but that's his concern.

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB6121

shdesigns

Premium Member

There is a simpler method with samba. On the share set:

force user = username

Then all users that use that share will act as the same user. You just make sure the directory is a member of the appropriate group or owned by the forced user.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus to Rexter

Premium Member

to Rexter
Short answer: Yes.
Long answer: You should consider the environment you're in and what folder you set to 777.

If you're at home and the folder is something like /rexter, not /home or /usr or /opt or something like that, there's no real harm in it, assuming that you understand that anyone with access to the system can reach that folder.

If you're at work, you should consider adding everyone to a group and then giving the group ownership of the folder. You could sudo chown -R root:newgroupname Folder, then sudo chmod -R 770 Folder.

That's a more secure method, but if you care not about security, your original method is fine. Just keep in mind that it's a group file-dump where anything and everything can be modified from that folder. If that's fine for you, then go for it. There are places where that's fine for me, and then there are places where that's not.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo to Rexter

Premium Member

to Rexter
Just because the directory and all of its contents are 777 does not mean that any new content will have the same permissions. For example.

~  mkdir foo
~  ls -la foo
total 52
drwxrwxr-x   2 baucumd baucumd  4096 Jul 16 07:44 .
drwx------ 164 baucumd baucumd 45056 Jul 16 07:44 ..
~  chmod 777 foo
~  ls -la foo   
total 52
drwxrwxrwx   2 baucumd baucumd  4096 Jul 16 07:44 .
drwx------ 164 baucumd baucumd 45056 Jul 16 07:44 ..
~  cd foo
~/foo  touch bar
~/foo  ls -la
total 60
drwxrwxrwx   2 baucumd baucumd  4096 Jul 16 07:45 .
drwx------ 164 baucumd baucumd 45056 Jul 16 07:45 ..
-rw-rw-r--   1 baucumd baucumd     0 Jul 16 07:45 bar
~/foo  chmod 777 *
~/foo  ls -l
total 8
-rwxrwxrwx 1 baucumd baucumd 0 Jul 16 07:45 bar
~/foo  touch baz
~/foo  ls -l
total 16
-rwxrwxrwx 1 baucumd baucumd 0 Jul 16 07:45 bar
-rw-rw-r-- 1 baucumd baucumd 0 Jul 16 07:45 baz
~/foo  

You will want to read »superuser.com/questions/ ··· irectory for information on how to have child files inherit permissions from their directory.

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO
Ubiquiti NanoBeam M5 16

1 edit

Brano

MVM

That depends on your umask settings.

Also for the world writable folders sometimes it's desirable that users can delete only their own files which can be accomplished by setting sticky bit for others chmod 1777 ...on most systems /tmp folders are setup this way.

As mentioned in above link, setting setgid on group will make it inherit permissions from parrentchmod 3777 ... setgid and sticky.

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert to shdesigns

Mod

to shdesigns
said by shdesigns:

Then all users that use that share will act as the same user.

I also share the same directory with NFS, which won't honor that samba setting.