Hardware
dell optiplex 755 sff
3.0 ghz core 2 duo
8 gigs memory
1tb 7200 rpm sata drive
Nic 1 onboard realtek gig
Nic 2 Intel gig

ISP Comcast 150/50

Has anyone done any comparison on UTM lately in the free space... I like my sonicwall but it is getting expensive. I am looking @ smoothwall, untangle and astaro/sophos. I have a 11, 7, and 4 y/o so i need better control over my internet and possibly time restrictions. I stream netflix.hilu and xbmc on firetv x2, 4 tablets and 3 desktops. i use over a 1tb of data month. I have a synology nas i sync with gdrive, and i need vpn from when i am on the road....I do not host any server period. Only thing i may need to do is allow my vpn for work. I am leaning more toward the astaro world but not sure if all those items are still free for the "home" user which would be 50 users or less. I am open to most suggestions i have am looking @ security onion also to see what benefits i may get out of it also.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE

MVM

said by smunro622:

but not sure if all those items are still free for the "home" user which would be 50 users or less.

This link answer that question? Unfortunately all those products remain at the bottom of my "to procrastinate on testing" list, so I can't comment much more than that.

Whatever you do end up going with, please do share with us.

My 00000010bits

Regards

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium Member
join:2002-06-10
Spring, TX

1 recommendation

XCOM to smunro622

Premium Member

to smunro622
I use pfsense here at my home office.

tscotty
Premium Member
join:2005-07-04
Ridgeway, MO

1 recommendation

tscotty to smunro622

Premium Member

to smunro622
I started out in 2005 using IPCop then went to Endian, tried smoothwall, pfsense, ipfire, monowall, zentyal, astaro/sophos, and now I use untangle. I have three kids as well and like to keep control over what they have access to do online. Up until I got 100mbps Astaro/sophos (used for 1.5 years) worked well but my optiplex 755mt had some issues plus I kept going over the 50ip limit on sophos home edition.

My current favorite is Untangle with all the free tools it comes with. There is no IP limitation. I really like the web filter lite. The web filter allows me to see exactly where my kids are going on the net.

I found a good way to test them is to use vmware workstation, virtualbox or hyper-v if you're familiar with creating VMs on your computer.