spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Squirrelly
join:2000-10-24
Harrisburg, PA

Squirrelly

Windows XP updates??

I just reinstalled windows XP and I would like to try and get the latest updates. I currently have XP Home with SP2. Any idea how I can update it to the latest since MS no longer supports it?

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

therube

Have you tried Windows Updates (or whatever it's called in XP)?

I'd assume there may be some preliminary updates, like the update to the updater.
After that (if it were me) I'd download the full SP3 download, install that, then go through the update scenerio - again & again & again, until it says, nada mas .

(Forgot what the prerequisites for SP3 were, but maybe try installing that first. It should tell you if you need something else first, I would think.)

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers

They actually recommend not using this for a one computer update, but shouldn't matter either way.
quote:
DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER: A smaller, more appropriate download is now available on Windows Update. The best way to ensure you get Windows XP Service Pack 3 is by turning on the Automatic Updates feature in Windows XP.

Squirrelly
Harrisburg, PA

Squirrelly

Windows/Microsoft update does not work for XP anymore. I tried a few times. I am downloading SP3 from the link you posted but I have to do it on another computer because when I tried it on the XP machine it didn't work.
Squirrelly

Squirrelly

OK, I installed SP3 and now windows/microsoft update is working
HappyFrappy
join:2000-10-04
North

HappyFrappy to Squirrelly

to Squirrelly
Microsoft didn't shutdown Windows Update, you need the updated "Windows Update Service" which was part of the SP3 offline/IT download--once you install SP3, Windows Update/Microsoft Update will work again. The same issue hits Vista if you don't have the offline SP2 too.
redwolfe_98
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11

redwolfe_98 to Squirrelly

Premium Member

to Squirrelly
squirrelly, based on my experience, before being able to use "windows update" (or "microsoft update" ), first you have to have "windows xpsp3" installed.. also, you have to have windows "automatic updates" enabled, in order to be able to install the updates that are initially installed..

after the initial updates have been installed, at "windows update" (or "microsoft update" ), including the activex-control that is used by "windows update" (or "microsoft update" ), you can disable windows "automatic updates", if you want to, and continue being able to use "windows update" (or "microsoft update" ), without windows "automatic updates" being enabled..

i know that things have not always been like that, with "windows update", but that is the way that microsoft has things set up, now..

my advice is to use "microsoft update" as opposed to using "windows update".. if you use "windows update", you might not be offered some "critical" updates which are offered when using "microsoft update".. maybe some people will disagree with that but it is true, particularly if you have any versions of "microsoft visual c++" installed on your computer.. many programs install "microsoft visual c++" when you install them, and usually you will find that there are security-patches for it, if you check, at "microsoft update", but the updates will not be offered when using "windows update"..

when you are using "windows update" / "microsoft update", there are "updates" that are "optional".. my advice is to review the "optional updates" and to only install the ones that seem to be needed, and to not mindlessly install all of the optional updates..

personally, i don't install "windows media player 11".. i install "windows media player 10", instead.. here is a link for it:

»www.microsoft.com/en-us/ ··· id=20426

you will have to install the update for "directx 9c" seperately:

»www.microsoft.com/en-us/ ··· px?id=35

on another note, as you know, microsoft has quit providing updates for windows xp.. well, there is a registry-tweak that you can use which will allow you to download some additional updates for windows xp.. here is some information about that:

»news.softpedia.com/news/ ··· 31.shtml

so, after you have installed all of the updates for windows xp, you could apply the registry-tweak, mentioned above, and then get a few more updates that have been released since the time that MS quit providing updates for our regular versions of "windows xp"..

the updates that you get, from having applied the registry-tweak, are intended for "point of sale terminals" which are running "windows xp", which are still supported by microsoft, for the time being.. i applied the registry-tweak to my computer and have gotten some windows-updates that way, without experiencing any problems as a result.. my advice is to apply the registry-tweak and get whatever updates you can, from doing that..

if you want any advice about locking down windows xp, send me a pm.. i am not an "expert" when it comes to "locking down" windows xp, but i do some things to try to make it more secure..

i would advise you to use the "firefox" browser along with the "noscript" and "adblock plus" addons, as opposed to using "internet explorer"..

Squirrelly
Harrisburg, PA

Squirrelly

thanks everyone, got it working.