dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Rawrmageddon
join:2013-08-17

Rawrmageddon

vMedia - I've made a huge mistake, full story.

Service Score
Cable Internet (Vendor Cogeco) : 8/10
vBox : 6/10
Customer Service : 1/10
Technical Support : 1/10

Quick Summary :
The internet works well, the TV needs a lot of work and you need to pray to a deity of your choice if you ever need help and are forced to call them.

Full Story
Thanks for popping in to read about my experience... it'll be a tad lengthy as i'm starting from beginning to end.

Day 1 - Signup
I call i sign up, excited to get such great internet for cheap. Hell I'm so excited I decided after not having TV for 8+ years I might as well give that a shot too. During the sign up I try to use my own modem, I'm told at this point I cannot because it might still be locked to a previous vendor. I tell the agent it hasn't been registered on a network for over 45 days so its highly unlikely. The agent then states they can put the modem info on their order but the form forces her to bill me for a modem which will cost $59.95 (DCM476) brand new. So i agree under the terms they'll refund me for it. Order submitted, excitement still there!

Day 2 - 1st Issue
I receive a call from vMedia who states the modem is still bound, i tell the agent to hold tight i'll contact my old other provider which I do. Call my old provider who states modem has been released as of 32 Days ago. Call vMedia back state such but advise I don't want delays so since I was billed for a brand new modem less than 14 hours ago and don't see a refund yet to just ship me that one. Turns out their prices changed over night and I was now being billed $99.95 for a Motorola 6141, thats right in less than 14 hours I'm now forced to pay an extra $40 for a different modem if i want to continue without delays. Since I simply can't afford delays I agree but am told I will receive a call back from a billing supervisor within 24 hours to address my concern about the price change. This never ever happens, not even an email in regards to it.

1 Week Later
Technician comes out, spends an abnormal amount of time in my basement then asks if I'm with Cogeco to which I state no vMedia. Technician simply states to call them his jobs done. My modem levels are far out of spec and service is not working, I can't afford more downtime and more days off work waiting for the same tech to come out and do nothing again so I go to my local hardware store, buy some splitters to reduce the signal levels to a respectable range and coax cords to reconnect everything which costs another $50 but at least i'm online.

2 Months later
I've since discovered I no longer need the TV as I can't stand the average 30 minute show being 15 minutes of advertising and consistent issues with audio/video not being in sync forcing me to reboot my vBox every 15 minutes i decided to use it. It is near the end of May a few days before my next bill to which I ask to cancel the TV. In response they advise they need 5 days minimum to cancel that service and the 4 days I've provided means they are forcing me to pay another month (june), so my response is this :
Simply cancel tv. However I do not wish to be
billed for it in June since I haven't watched it in 6 weeks already.

and theirs :
Hi Kyle,

Just to inform you, you will still be billed for June on your TV service.

Sincerely,
Raul
VMedia Billing Department
VMEDIA

Seriously? Now thats some more great customer service. Of course I decided that if I'm being forced to pay for it I'll keep both active and request cancellation of the TV midway through June to ensure I don't get that run around again.

Mid June
I call to cancel the TV, this time some simple questions on why, which I'm more than happy to answer. However vMedia recently announced new speed tiers in my area, one of which is 55M so i decide I'll upgrade to that while I'm at it. They say great and state it won't go live until my next billing cycle, July 1st which is fine.

July 1st
New speeds are live, its awesome and I'm surely enjoying it.

July 1st-2nd
Midnight comes, so far I've been able to use the new speeds for 6 hours then bam DCHP issue strikes (i've lost my IP address) and my internet is down. I figure its time for bed anyways and call it a night. Next morning still not resolved so i call to report it. Troubleshooting is abysmal, I'm told they can't submit a ticket unless i screenshot my computer screen with my IP information and send it to them... really? with what internet am i supposed to do that with. I express thats impossiblee and all the guy needs to do is use his keyboard and note down what i'm trying to give him. IPv4/DHCP/Default Gateway/Physical Address. The agent refuses to note this until i request a supervisor for 10 minutes. Finally agent does his job and i head to work.

The next 2 weeks
Service is still down and has been since, I've called daily for updates to which there is only ever one. It was our accident, we send the block of Chatham IP's to Brockville theres no timeframe for a resolution but they'll at least give me a follow up call daily so i don't have to call myself. This is a lie, not once did i get a call from anyone and instead found myself calling them daily for an update that I never get because they have no response from cogeco yet. After requesting a supervisor on multiple occasions and being advised they don't have any I grow tired of the run around and mention if I don't get someone i'll be filing a report with the BBB, I quickly get escalated. The person I talk to is quite personable unlike the 10 other robots I've talked to the past week and a half. Along this i request the supervisor push off an escalation to the vendor which all other agents have refused to do and he states he's busy doing it right now since many customers are down in chatham and he has to send off a mass update. Along noting this he states they are developing an apology package for us, in fact he even has a conference call later tonight about it and will follow up with me in 24 hours about the news he gets as well as follow my account for any updates in resolving my issue. This ultimately never happens either, I do however end up getting 1 free month for the 12 days I've been down so far.

Monday July 14th
I'm calling for an update since its been 4 days with not a single call back as promised prior. I find out that an escalation was not sent off when i was told it was and decided I'm officially done with vMedia. A call another third party ISP who will remain unnamed. I'm advised a transfer can be done for 10 business days out, great order placed. Easy, friendly, fast and no hassles about my current modem this time around.
I call back vMedia to cancel, instead i get an argumentative agent who feels the need to explain the situation. I advised the agent I don't need an explanation, I've gotten enough of them for the past 2 weeks and I'm simply done with this company. I simply ask her to submit the cancellation, contact a supervisor and have it pushed immediately as I will not wait for them to delay my transfer by waiting a week to submit the disconnect request. The agent becomes very argumentative stating she cannot do that and in response I state I know you can't but a supervisor should be able to which is why i suggested you put me on hold and call one. More attitude from the agent, I'll admit at this time I'm getting fairly hot and tell her to stop arguing and harassing me. I then tell her she has two options, 1 is to do what I asked her to do over 30 minute ago which as a refresher was to put me on hold and contact a supervisor to submit the disconnect without delay or continue to argue and hassas me to which I would be getting her employee number and filing a report on her. FINALLY I'm put on hold... o wait it gets worse. The agent comes back and cheerily states "thanks for holding, instead of submitting a disconnect on your service I've been advised by my supervisor that cogeco has responded and said the issue will be resolved in the next 6-72 hours". This unfortunately sent me over the top as I just spent 45 minutes arguing and fighting with an agent to cancel the service as its far to little and far to late and do one simple thing which she decides not to do. I instantly tell the agent thats not what I wanted or asked her to do nor spent the last 30 minutes fighting with her about and tell her to put me back on hold and do what i asked her to do in the first place. This unfortunately for both I and the agent results in more fighting because she feels the need to explain herself and after 50 minutes doesn't understand i simply don't care and want this to be done so 20 more minutes pass of this back and forth with nothing getting accomplished. The best comparison I have to this is breaking up with a significant other because they've cheated on you, you know you don't care what they say but they continuously try to explain themselves so relentlessly it causes you to not want their company 100 times more. Finally I'm placed on hold and transferred to a supervisor without warning. This gentleman was fantastic as was the last supervisor and assured me he was manually pushing the disconnect as we discussed the absolutely abysmal customer service I've received from the start. He also guaranteed my account would be reviewed as no customer should have the amount of notes on their account i do, especially one as new as me. Great, I'm free and the jobs done. Nope.

Tuesday July 15th
My new ISP calls to inform me that early this morning Cogeco stated they don't have any disconnect requests submitted, the last supervisor although great on the phone also did not do as he promised. So i call back vMedia. 40 minutes on hold, am prompted I must leave a message for a call back. My message is simple, i provide my name and number advised I had a supervisor submit a disconnect request yesterday which was not done and am requesting only a supervisor call me back. This doesn't happen that night.
- Side note, after requesting an escalation be sent for 2 weeks and one only being sent when i want to cancel my service is restored this morning. However I'm back on the 20M package and not the 55M

Wednesday July 16th
My new provider again states no disconnect has been submitted. BUT WAIT my phone rings, its vMedia calling back. This is the first time ever I have received a call back AND its a supervisor. This supervisor is unfortunately no better then the lady from monday night. He states disconnects are submitted at the end of the month only. Here's a tip, I've been in the ISP field and used the portals they've used. Theres a huge difference in the date you submit a disconnect FOR and the date that you submit the disconnect ON. This gentleman refuses to manually push the disconnect for the end of them month until I again advise that I'll be submitting a report to the BBB for refusal to submit an disconnect and cancel my service which is preventing me from going with a new provider and that I'll be reaching out to his CEO GeorgeBurger See Profile on DSLreports about my case. I'm put on hold, he then comes back and states he's having someone work on it to which I respond I've been told that far to many times to believe it. I advise I want the ticket number from the Cogeco portal request listed beside the CSG comment. I explain to him the entire process of submitting a disconnect using said portal and expect that confirmation number, the sound of defeat is in his voice arises and I'm placed on hold again. He comes back and states its done provides a 6 digit number and hangs up. I'm not provided with a date of disconnect to give to my new provider nor an apology for the continued harassment of accomplishing a simple cancellation so i can transfer elsewhere.

Here I sit writing this, I warn you to NOT waste your time.
If there was ever a case of "getting what you paid for" this is certainly one of them
GeorgeBurger
join:2011-12-30

GeorgeBurger

This is quite a lengthy post, and because the writer reached out to me on IM, I have given the writer a candid response there. The gist of it is that there were definitely issues with the delivery of the service, most of which were caused by matters outside our control, but which we tried to remedy. However there are some pretty relevant omissions in this "detailed" account of events, not the least of which is that our notes show no complaints about our TV service other than the fact that TV has commercials.Not a lot we can do about that.There were definitely issues with some customers surrounding our move to a direct TPIA relationship with Cogeco, which we sought to remedy as quickly as possible, and where we offered credits where appropriate, including here. We are sorry things did not work out, but the extensive notes on the file show many communications with our team, accommodations provided or offered which are not referred to here, and generally sincere and reasonable efforts to fix the issues. We are sorry they did not satisfy you, and we wish you all the best.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

seems a bit weak to not allow him to cancel his TV service with 4 days notice instead of 5 considering the provisioning issues he had previously.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to GeorgeBurger

to GeorgeBurger
said by GeorgeBurger:

However there are some pretty relevant omissions in this "detailed" account of events, not the least of which is that our notes show no complaints about our TV service other than the fact that TV has commercials.Not a lot we can do about that.

The OP also claims there were frequent issues with audio and video being out of sync and the only way to resolve it was to reboot the Vbox. Was this an isolated issue to this customer or is this a widespread issue you guys are dealing with?

confused123
@108.168.17.x

confused123

Anon

man, i am so glad i did not order service from this ISP.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to jmck

to jmck
said by jmck:

seems a bit weak to not allow him to cancel his TV service with 4 days notice instead of 5 considering the provisioning issues he had previously.

I agree with this post, refusing a cancellation 1 day outside of procedure is a load of crock, especially when you *near* full control of the source minus delivering it over incumbent controlled internet service.

Is there an actual technical reason why someone must absolutely cancel 5 days before the end of month for VMedia IPTV service?
jackie999
join:2008-08-13
Aurora, ON

jackie999 to Rawrmageddon

to Rawrmageddon
Next time someone complains about Acanac (which I had absolutely no problems with while they were my ISP) I'm pointing them to this post.
Wow.
Well written and very detailed. I guess the lesson to be learnt here is to keep copious notes when signing up with a new provider

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to GeorgeBurger

Premium Member

to GeorgeBurger
To be fair George, I'm having similar issues at my place of work, I work for a large corporation and for day to day issues we have a help desk , which is based in India. When the users don't get help, they contact me, which while I'm happy to help them, it's not part of my job.

Long story short, the help desk claims there are no recordings of the call where service was denied.

Anyway, saying there are no notes could be as simple as a CSR not making any or (if possible) erasing them?

WhaleOilBee
What a long strange trip it's been
join:2011-08-02
Manotick, ON

WhaleOilBee to Rawrmageddon

to Rawrmageddon
That sounds like a terrible experience. I truly do empathize with your frustration.

W.R.T. the IPTV... it's unfortunate that you didn't find out that if you had bought the VBox from Canada Computers, you would have gotten a free two month preview of the Premium Basic TV package. You could have then returned it to CC within 30 days for a refund if you discovered that you didn't like it.

The modem issue sounds like a total fuster cluck. I don't know whose fault it was that your old modem appeared to still be assigned to a different ISP, but I don't get why you would be forced to buy a new modem. If I'm not mistaken, VMedia will 'loan' you a modem ( for a deposit + fee + shipping ) while yours gets straightened out. Was this not offered to you? I had to decline it several times and explain that I had an alternate Internet connection, and would just wait the 2 weeks for my old modem to be liberated.

I don't know how much of this is mis-communication on both sides, but I hope you get it all straightened out soon.
WhaleOilBee

WhaleOilBee to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Anyway, saying there are no notes could be as simple as a CSR not making any or (if possible) erasing them?

???? I think you misread something. George said.. "but the extensive notes on the file show many communications with our team"

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

I'm talking about the TV issue, that George said was not on the record.
prairiesky
join:2008-12-08
canada

prairiesky to TypeS

to TypeS
said by TypeS:

said by jmck:

I agree with this post, refusing a cancellation 1 day outside of procedure is a load of crock, especially when you *near* full control of the source minus delivering it over incumbent controlled internet service.

Is there an actual technical reason why someone must absolutely cancel 5 days before the end of month for VMedia IPTV service?

Sometimes there are. For example my services to my clients are billed at the first of the month. We accept only cheque or auto debit. The auto debit information is done through the credit union software. The CU takes this information 4-5 business days before the 1st of the month. Once they've taken it, we can't change anything or cancel the auto debit info for the first.

WhaleOilBee
Manotick, ON

1 edit

WhaleOilBee to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
Oh, I see; the A/V sync issue.

Yeah, I can imagine a CSR in India not wanting to take note of everything; maybe they're afraid to be fired if they don't resolve their quota of issues. A CSR in Canada? Not so much, I think.

My case in point... Working as a Nortel manager on configuration software for network components. When the hardware equipment version x.x was upgraded to x.x.x for a 'patch' release, our software blew up and the shit hit the fan. The fault was traced to a module provided by an Indian company. They treated the hardware version as a floating point number. They refused to correct the problem, stating that they were not responsible for the floating point library. No matter how much I tried to explain that the hardware version should be treated as a text string not a decimal number, they insisted they were not responsible for the floating point library. I was told by a more senior manager that this was common; they were afraid to admit causing a problem b/c they could lose their job.

Anyway, I digress... I've read in the VMedia forums about some A/V sync issues, and have sometimes noticed them only in the millisecond domain. For me, they correct themselves in time. If the OP had reported sync issues, I can't image anyone wanting to sweep them under the carpet, when they've been addressed in their own forums...... »forum.vmedia.ca/forum/tv ··· uffering

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck to prairiesky

to prairiesky
can't you still refund it after the charge goes through?
prairiesky
join:2008-12-08
canada

prairiesky

said by jmck:

can't you still refund it after the charge goes through?

easiest way is to issue a cheque which, in a small company like ours is fine. In a bigger one, it's a nightmare. The point is, it's in the agreement that 5 days notice is required. There are reasons for it.
Dunlop
join:2011-07-13

Dunlop to Rawrmageddon

to Rawrmageddon
Sounds like quite the nightmare.

I was planning on going to Distributel once my retention deal ends with Bell if they do not renew it...stories like this make me think twice.

I've been with Ebox and Teksavvy without ever having issues but always that small fear at the back of my mind that something like that would happen

Fergless
Premium Member
join:2008-04-19
Toronto, ON

Fergless

Premium Member

quote:
I was planning on going to Distributel once my retention deal ends with Bell if they do not renew it...stories like this make me think twice.
I don't believe Vmedia uses Distributel. Zazeen does though

My2Cents
@24.53.242.x

My2Cents to Rawrmageddon

Anon

to Rawrmageddon
I'm seeing way too many similar complaints across these forums.

I'm not sure if the people at vMedia understand the fact that when things go so wrong for so long, you don't want apologies or credits or a free month, you just want out.

I had a lot of respect for Mr. Burger when he was at TekSavvy but that's been evaporating over the past few months. The way vMedia handled his particular case reminds of that recent Comcast situation with Ryan Block. Very sad.
imtiax
Premium Member
join:2014-05-24
Toronto, ON

imtiax to Rawrmageddon

Premium Member

to Rawrmageddon
Ultimately you get what you pay for.

It's never a good idea to go with the cheapest guy on the block.

Start/Teksavvy/ElectronicBox may cost a bit more than vMedia but you get a much better experience and less issues.

If you need TV I'd recommend Acanac+Zazeen.

If you need internet I'd recommend Start/Distributel. (Start preferred)

WhaleOilBee
Manotick, ON

WhaleOilBee

said by imtiax:

Ultimately you get what you pay for.

It's never a good idea to go with the cheapest guy on the block.

By that logic, I would suggest going with Rogers or Bell. Heck, for what they charge, the service must be stellar, and the tech support 1st class!

No matter what you look at... cars, TVs, phones, you name it.... for every one there will be people with horror stories, and others who swear by it. Results may vary. Heck, I've even had some less than satisfactory service from Teksavvy.

pducharme
Premium Member
join:2010-06-29
Sherbrooke, QC

pducharme to Fergless

Premium Member

to Fergless
I have Zazeen + Acanac and it's awesome. Never had this kind of issues. I'm in Videotron Land thought, I think they are easier on TPIA than Rogers/Cogeco. I switch to FTTN still on Acanac and had no issue either.

Good luck to the OP, not a great customer experience!

My2Cents
@24.53.242.x

My2Cents to imtiax

Anon

to imtiax
For the record, I'm with Start.ca and I set my parents up with TekSavvy. For my usage and needs, Start.ca was the best choice and for my parents use (or lack thereof), TekSavvy was the best. I'm very happy with both companies.

I also convinced a number of friends to switch from Rogers to Start.ca and they've also been very happy.
Garneac
join:2011-05-01
Brampton, ON

Garneac to My2Cents

to My2Cents
It's unfortunate that some people are having difficulties with getting their VMedia products set up, but I'm pretty tired of other people deciding this means VMedia is a shit company or something.

I've had them since I think October of last year and, after some slow down issues in the beginning, it's been a fantastic ISP. We have their 45/4 unlimited cable service and it's been an absolute pleasure.

I agree that it seems like their customer service could use some retooling- but come on, that's not the be all, end all with the company.

I do hope your situation gets resolved satisfactorily, OP. I do believe VMedia is not setting out to fuck people over. I do wish some of the critics would cool it with the wholesale smearing. It's a shame, coming to these boards, and seeing a lot of negative threads and comments when I know there's also abundant good about the company.

I dunno. It just sucks, seeing VMedia suffering a series of customer service complaints in this last little while. Here's to hoping both sides can step up their game and provide all alternative ISP customers with cost-effective and efficient solutions.

WhaleOilBee
Manotick, ON

1 recommendation

WhaleOilBee

said by Garneac:

It's unfortunate that some people are having difficulties with getting their VMedia products set up, but I'm pretty tired of other people deciding this means VMedia is a shit company or something.

It's especially frustrating when aspects of the situation appear to be a misunderstanding between the customer and the provider. I've seen this throughout these forums; not just VMedia. In this specific case, there's no modem sold for $59.95. That's the deposit on a rental or loaner modem, yet the OP appears to believe themselves a victim of some 'bait and switch' scheme.

It's clear that the onus is on the provider to ensure that the customer understands the terms and conditions of the sale. Any phone conversation should really be followed up with an e-mail that addresses each point discussed, and asks the recipient to respond if they feel that anything is not 100% clear. This was the S.O.P at most companies where I worked when dealing with customers and vendors.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

WRT to the modem, probably #1 reason I BYOM, no fuss no muss, no chance of it being "locked" to another provider, and since I know I can find the seller pretty quick , I don't have to worry about any problems with it.
Dunlop
join:2011-07-13

Dunlop to Fergless

to Fergless
said by Fergless:

quote:

I know, I meant if there is an issue having to wait until your company can get Videotron to take action on it, who will undoubtedly take as long as possible to make your customers want to leave

Fergless
Premium Member
join:2008-04-19
Toronto, ON

Fergless

Premium Member

said by Dunlop:

said by Fergless:

quote:

I know, I meant if there is an issue having to wait until your company can get Videotron to take action on it, who will undoubtedly take as long as possible to make your customers want to leave

Understood. However the carrier's are not all that bad.

TY

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to GeorgeBurger

Premium Member

to GeorgeBurger
George, if the candidate wants to cancel their services what good would a credit do?
GeorgeBurger
join:2011-12-30

1 recommendation

GeorgeBurger

Not wishing to comment on the customer in question, credits are offered while we try to work through the issues.Nothing I wrote is inconsistent with that.
GeorgeBurger

GeorgeBurger to Rawrmageddon

to Rawrmageddon
This is quite the little pile on, two anonymous posters, a competitor, and a person who is one of that competitor's biggest fans, judging by his voluminous postings on that board.

My appreciation to our long-standing customers and more balanced observers, for injecting some perspective into the proceedings in my absence.

Have a great weekend everyone!