Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11

1 recommendation

reply to Dude111

Re: What is this LEVEL3 crap??

said by Dude111:

ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET RID OF THIS GARBAGE??

Stop using Level 3 DNS Servers
Use TWC DNS Servers and opt out.
Stop typing in invalid URL's.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
kudos:2
Does that just not use a cookie to give nxdomain in a browser? Other network apps mostly for advanced users would not get this cookie and could break without nxdomain. Dude111 probably does not use such applications but that fact alone makes it an invalid half assed opt out. My suggestion, however, works with all apps while delivering the benefits of using your own ISP's DNS. But requires either a custom built router or the willingness and ability(both human and router being flashable) to use custom firmware. But it solves all issues that may stem from this money grab by ISPs already being paid for their services. Free public DNS, you can't really complain. They have to pay the bills somehow. But I use TWC's because closer DNS=better CDN performance(they only see the DNS IP making requests to their root servers, not yours) even if the ISP is a few meaningless milliseconds slower in lookup time. In my case, TWC lookup times are faster than even Google and then cached to my local DNS.

Btw lol at what you said about not typing invalid urls, but even the best of us occasionally do on these smartphone and tablet keyboards, unfortunately.
said by hobgoblin:

said by Dude111:

ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET RID OF THIS GARBAGE??

Stop using Level 3 DNS Servers
Use TWC DNS Servers and opt out.
Stop typing in invalid URL's.

Hob