spc
Search similar:

uniqs

WNC_Guy
@96.37.26.x

1 recommendation

WNC_Guy

Anon

[HSI] Has Charter's ipv6 rollout gone awol?

Has anyone heard or read anything recently on Charter's ipv6 rollout plans? From my location even their tunnel router is no longer available. Just wondering.

DarkenMoon
Premium Member
join:2013-11-14
Silver Springs, NV

1 recommendation

DarkenMoon

Premium Member

Still can't get a native IPv6 address plugged into the modem, and they have said nothing about it.

Come on Charter, even Comcast has IPv6 support.
Expand your moderator at work
chmod755
join:2011-09-01
Hazelwood, MO
Ubiquiti Dream Machine SE
Ubiquiti U6-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-Lite

1 recommendation

chmod755

Re: [HSI] Has Charter's ipv6 rollout gone awol?

Mine's working.

Test with IPv4 DNS record
ok (1.099s) using ipv4
Test with IPv6 DNS record
ok (1.765s) using ipv6
Test with Dual Stack DNS record
ok (2.062s) using ipv6
Test for Dual Stack DNS and large packet
ok (1.974s) using ipv6
Test IPv4 without DNS
ok (0.249s) using ipv4
Test IPv6 without DNS
ok (2.038s) using ipv6
Test IPv6 large packet
ok (1.998s) using ipv6
Test if your ISP's DNS server uses IPv6
ok (2.650s) using ipv6
Find IPv4 Service Provider
ok (0.598s) using ipv4 ASN 20115
Find IPv6 Service Provider
ok (1.210s) using ipv6 ASN 20115

Your IPv4 address on the public Internet appears to be 24.217.***********

Your IPv6 address on the public Internet appears to be 2602:100:18d9:***********

Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) appears to be CHARTER-NET-HKY-NC - Charter Communications,US

Since you have IPv6, we are including a tab that shows how well you can reach other IPv6 sites. [more info]

It appears that you use a managed tunnel mechanism, 6RD, to transport IPv6 over IPv4. [more info]

Good news! Your current configuration will continue to work as web sites enable IPv6.

Your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have IPv6 Internet access.

tscotty
Premium Member
join:2005-07-04
Ridgeway, MO

1 recommendation

tscotty

Premium Member

Please tell us about your configuration. What router are you using? What OS are you running on the pc that uses IPV6? Anything else that might help us configure IPV6 would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Tracy

DarkenMoon
Premium Member
join:2013-11-14
Silver Springs, NV

1 recommendation

DarkenMoon to chmod755

Premium Member

to chmod755
Eh, it's still using a tunnel. I'd much prefer native IPv6.

(Also my router doesn't support 6rd)

catchingup
@135.23.225.x

1 recommendation

catchingup to DarkenMoon

Anon

to DarkenMoon
said by DarkenMoon:

Still can't get a native IPv6 address plugged into the modem, and they have said nothing about it.

Come on Charter, even Comcast has IPv6 support.

As does TWC.
catchingup

1 recommendation

catchingup to chmod755

Anon

to chmod755
said by chmod755:

Mine's working.

That is using 6RD, not native. The OP is asking about the end game which is native service.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

1 recommendation

cork1958 to WNC_Guy

Premium Member

to WNC_Guy
I had just thought yesterday about the fact that we haven't heard anything on this subject in quite some time.

We have to be out of IPv4 addresses by now, don't we?

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP ··· haustion

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine

The last block of IPv4 addresses was handed out a year or more ago. There are no more available. We're all going to die.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958

Premium Member

said by howardfine:

The last block of IPv4 addresses was handed out a year or more ago. There are no more available. We're all going to die.

Oh no!!

I was afraid of that happening!!

WNC_Guy
@96.37.26.x

1 recommendation

WNC_Guy to catchingup

Anon

to catchingup
Yes - I am interested in the native rollout. It would even be nice to get the 6RD tunnel server regularly. Sometimes it is there, sometimes it isn't. I was in a Comcast area over the 4th and got native ip6 without issues.
Oh well - Charter - mile short and a day late

B4Knight
Premium Member
join:2014-03-20
Colon, MI

B4Knight to WNC_Guy

Premium Member

to WNC_Guy
Nothing recently.. However, I'm sure that they are pretty well prepared when the time comes to start using ipv6. BHN (Bright House Networks) also isn't using ipv6 natively yet, but they say they are prepared. Personally I don't see why people are getting so worked up about not having it yet
chmod755
join:2011-09-01
Hazelwood, MO
Ubiquiti Dream Machine SE
Ubiquiti U6-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-Lite

1 recommendation

chmod755 to catchingup

to catchingup
As well as the border router (tunnel) not always being available - I just meant I haven't personally noticed that in Missouri; the border router always seems to be working for me. Yes - not ready for native service yet but I assume it'll be ready when necessary.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

aefstoggaflm to B4Knight

Premium Member

to B4Knight
said by B4Knight:

Personally I don't see why people are getting so worked up about not having it yet

I point to and quote from »Re: [Business] Any updates on the IPv6 business trials? (which is a sub-selection from »[IPv6] Why all the hoopla over IPv6? trials- )

quote:
Some larger ISPs have some blocks of IPv4 address slack, but for a lot of smaller ones and for many hosting providers, they're running dry and have been for a while. Most cellular providers are already NATting cellular data connections.

And, it's gotten to the point where IP blocks are being bought and sold like a finite resource. Microsoft paid roughly $11.25 per IP address to acquire a block of IPv4 addresses from the bankrupt Nortel estate:

»www.networkworld.com/com ··· -address

$11.25 for an IPv4 address doesn't sound like a lot, but the number of hosts connecting will continue to expand while the number of IPV4 addresses will not. This means that price WILL go up as the commodity becomes scarcer... and that will start to hit your monthly internet bill... UNLESS people start aggressively pushing their ISPs to roll out IPv6 sooner.

quote:
While an IPv6 address won't enhance your internet connection or provide extra features, the fact is, your experience on IPv4 will start to degrade over time. More people will be forced on NATs, meaning blocked ports. Hosting a website or server on IPv4 will become more and more expensive, and eventually almost impossible. And as websites start to go IPv6 only, it'll be harder for people not connected over IPv6 to reach those sites.

The simple fact is, we can start pushing to migrate now so that it continues to be "not a big deal," or we can be complacent about it and wait until it starts to get really bad.

More than likely, that is one of the reasons.

B4Knight
Premium Member
Colon, MI

1 recommendation

B4Knight

Premium Member

Ok, now I see the reasons to switch. However, until Charter deems it necessary, we'll all just have to wait

defiant
Former Charter lackey
join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI
ARRIS TM1602
Asus RT-AC68
Netgear WNDR3700v4

defiant to WNC_Guy

to WNC_Guy
IPv6 stopped working reliably on my connection also, so I disabled it on my router.

Out of nowhere, page loads would stall, images wouldn't load on certain sites, etc. Eventually, I disabled IPv6 on the WAN connection of my router and the problems disappeared. I tried rebuilding the 6rd config on my router and even factory resetting it, then reconfiguring for 6rd with no success.

WNC_Guy
@97.82.217.x

1 recommendation

WNC_Guy

Anon

»tech-beta.slashdot.org/s ··· -traffic
I sure wish Charter would get with the program.

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

1 recommendation

howardfine

You need to read the comments about Comcast and question who is it that needs to get with the program.

B4Knight
Premium Member
Colon, MI

1 recommendation

B4Knight to WNC_Guy

Premium Member

to WNC_Guy
You know Charter isn't the only ISP to not use native IPv6 yet... BHN (Bright House Networks) and Cox also haven't fully-enabled IPv6, although Cox plans to have residential and business users on IPv6 sometime in 2015 using a "dual stack" transition method.

This thread might help: »[Internet] BHN IPv6 Migration Status?