Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

[Internet] Why the wacko line quality test here?

Click for full size
I've been getting a wacko line quality test here for about a year now. My speed is fine. Other tests don't show problems so is it TWC or what that causes the wacko test here? This site also cannot identify my ISP for about a year now. If I tell dslreports what ISP I have it immediately forgets!

For all the years I've been a member here (and had TWC internet all that time) I never had a weird test like this and never had dslreports not be able to identify my ISP until last summer. If I am doing something different that is causing this, I don't know what it is thus have no idea how to fix it.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:17

4 edits
Click for full size
Turn off the SPI firewall on your router
The inbound ping tests are probably being filtered by your router.

You've had tests like this before, 10 months ago:
»/pingtest/4532···/3082379

You said you've been having the issue since July of last year:
»Re: Second bonded upstream channel disappears?
That's days after you put the Netgear in service as a router:
»[WIN8] Canot Turn on Network Discovery

As far as the ID, did you go through this page to update the database and/or specify a choice?
»/domset
»/domset?isp=ti···r&oset=1
--
You cannot fix a problem that you refuse to acknowledge.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
I don't use wireless. Also, I use the SamKnows firmware for the router.

I had the dates wrong for test history because I expected the site, domiciled in the USA, to use month/day/year format as everyone except military uses in this nation. This site though uses a VERY CONFUSING mixture of format for the date and mixes it all up all over the site. The site should choose one format and stay with it. But still, it does appear this problem started after I started using the Netgear router again.

The router is set to respond to ping and on the line quality test it DOES respond to BASIC ping and first hop ping. It also shows response to low bandwidth ping. So, I don't see how ping is the problem? There must be something else going on, but what I don't know, to cause the wacky results.

Could there be something in the SamKnows firmware causing this? I used to use the Netgear with the Linksy BEFSR41 as the main router and the Netgear just did the SamKnows tests. Then I got the first TP_Link ever sent to a USA SamKnows panelist and I retired the Netgear which never worked well with Fx or Opera (which was my default browser back then). Then a year or so ago, I had problems with the Linksy and retired it and started using the Netgear as the only router so I'm wondering if others using only the SamKnows firmware on this router have this problem here?

As for the ID of my ISP here, the site sees Road Runner as my ISP which it says it thinks is owned by TWC. But the site also says it doesn't know who my ISP is (when I do a speed test here or go to the main page) and when I tell it yet again it doesn't remember and won't let me post my speed test results to the Road Runner table here. Yet when I click on the ID links you provided it says my ISP is Road Runner so it knows but it doesn't know...both things at the same time.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
kudos:2
Seems TWC has been shuffling IP blocks and maybe getting new ones. All the time I have had TWC on and off I never had a 108.x.x.x IP but have for awhile now and the site can't identify it. Maybe in your case, you have such an IP block thus maybe some of the tools are not updated to identify it. The new router probably pulled you a different IP via DHCP. It is nothing to do with the firmware. Just a different connected device on the network. Nothing to worry about, hun. The wonky results are probably your firewall, which Dr Drew already suggested. No connection problems, no worries. I would just leave it on.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
I've had this same IP address since June 24, 2013 which is when I retired the Linksy router for good and dug out the old Netgear router that SamKnows had sent me in 2010 and started using it again. 70.92.0.0 - 70.95.255.255 is a direct allocation to Road Runner West going back to 2004 so this is not a new IP block or shuffling of one. I've had these wonky line quality tests since I got rid of the Linksy router and started using the Netgear again which was over a year ago.

I use the Windows 8 Pro firewall. I checked it again just now. Echo Request for IPv4 and 6 is allowed so something else must be going on. I'm tired of the problem after over a year of the problem. Plus, there is no reason why dslreports would not know that this block of IP addresses was allocated to Road Runner West back in 2004 so dslr should not be losing what ISP I have. I am also tired of not being able to post a speed test result to the RR speed table. I have been able to post a speef test result to the table intermittently during this past year as the site will remember for awhile sometimes that I have Road Runner ISP. But then it will forget again! Why does this happen when my IP address has NOT changed in over a year?
--

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal

4 edits

1 recommendation

Click for full size
Why do you keep calling it Road Runner when WHOIS shows the IP belongs to Time Warner Cable? There are only 2 entries in the DSLR domain list with Road in their name and neither are cable providers. You should be picking Time Warner Cable from the domain list on DSLR.

Either way, when you pick the ISP from the list, you'll get a message saying "Your preference has been set by browser cookie". Are you saving that cookie or deleting it?

As far as your Line Quality test results, your router firewall is blocking the inbound packets when they hit a certain level. If you look at the graphed results, the replies suddenly get cut off when the firewall kicks in. It's not blocking all ping replies. I'll have access to a SK Netgear router later today and I'll find the option that is doing that. I'll post it.

[att=5]
[edit] Check the option in WAN Setup for "Disable Port Scan and DoS Protection". The inbound LQ test looks like a port scan or DoS attack so it's blocked.
--

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium
Fort Smith, AR
reply to Mele20
Yup he is right about the firewall. Probably has flood protection which I incorporated in mine. As to the site and your IP, again I would not worry. It would not be on your end, If it really bugs you, let justin and co know in the site bugs forum.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

1 edit
reply to DrDrew
Click for full size
hawaii rr IP block
Click for full size
my IP block
Click for full size
said by DrDrew:

Why do you keep calling it Road Runner when WHOIS shows the IP belongs to Time Warner Cable? There are only 2 entries in the DSLR domain list with Road in their name and neither are cable providers. You should be picking Time Warner Cable from the domain list on DSLR.

Road Runner was the name of Time Warner's ISP starting back in 1995. It's only been about a year ago that TWC moved Help from" www.help.rr.com" to another address. I can still tracert/ping on Ping Plotter Pro to "www.hawaii.rr.com". About Town for Hawaii is still at the Road Runner address. My DNS servers are pingable and the main one being "rds-lb-01.hawaii.rr.com". My email addresses all have "rr.com" in them. Webmail is at "webmail.hawaii.rr.com". For many things, if I try to use twc.com I get told to call Oceanic. Only VERY RECENTLY did login to my account at Orange RR.com change from doing it from "hawaii.rr.com" around town page to TWC.com. I don't often want to add/delete, etc an email address but it was very confusing recently because I got redirected from the usual login at Services on hawaii.rr.com Around Town page to a FAQ page on twc.com which then took me back to orange.rr.com to login (because the RDC was moved to Orange back in 2005 after Oceanic defied TWC corporate in a dispute). The process for dropping "Road Runner" or "rr" from everything to do with TWC internet is a long, bumpy road.

This site has always known that IP addresses that resolve to "rr.com" belong to TWC and the block I am in is reserved for Road Runner residential users of Honolulu, Hawaii, Kansas City, KS, Orange, CA and San Diego CA RDC's. So, the fact that the name Road Runner is gradually being abandoned by TWC due to them not wanting to pay TW for the right to use that name (very stupid decision) should not affect this site knowing what ISP owns the block of addresses I am in.

Yes, I accept the cookie but this site is unnecessarily confused about my IP address and what ISP it belongs to. The speed tests here have become very erratic. NetAcess Java test that had been testing correctly for me at about 34000/5600 just now (middle of the afternoon which is usually a good time to test) tested at 640/5300. I don't particularly want to put that in the Road Runner speed results table here! That result would put me at the very bottom of the table and I have been way up near the top on the first page of the results. So, at the moment, I don't really care if this site can't figure out, after many years of having no problems, that Road Runner addresses are owned by TWC.
--

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium
Fort Smith, AR
Speed tests here have been crap for me for a long time. Sometimes I don't even get 1 mbps according to them. I just rely on other sites for that but enjoy the forums here. Yet, speedtest.net tests me at what my router has set as a limit per client for QoS headroom(helps a house full of computers to reserve a few mbps for this) and I have no trouble running several Netflix and Youtube HD streams at the same time. Just had 4 1080p Youtube streams going a little while back with no buffering issues at all.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Road Runner was the name of Time Warner's ISP....

WAS is the important word in the first part of that wall of text. It no longer is Road Runner. TWC is phasing it out and DSLR already has.

P.S. You're welcome for giving you the fix for your year long Line Quality test problem. Looks better now: »/pingtest/2b6a···/3214112
--

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
The key word in your post is that DSLR thinks it is God if it has phased out Road Runner since the domain is owned by "rr.com". But it hasn't phased it out except as the name for the forum (and the legacy name should have been kept just like TWC should have continued to pay the royalty to use the name). This site tells me the "rr.com" domain is owned by TWC. But then when I try to post to the Road Runner - (or TWC, but it was still called Road Runner the last time I posted to it a couple of months ago) - speed table, I get a message from this site that my IP address does not resolve to a domain name! That is an IDIOTIC response. The site should be embarrassed.

I'm going to post this in bugs with screen shots.

Regarding the Line Quality fix, I had to leave the house so thanking you had to wait until I got back (with no eggs...not a single egg in huge Safeway store since Wednesday...I have to go back tomorrow again). Before I left, I did follow your instructions with the Netgear router and that was the problem. I had seen in the router logs some so called DoS "attacks" but I didn't connect that to this problem as I only looked at logs on a random basis and not right after I tried to do a test here. I was going to take a screenshot to post but I see I don't need to do that. I do thank you! A lot!

I suppose this means I should get a cell phone with internet access (or a tablet as Safeway has a free wi-fi area) and then I could have thanked you while waiting for the load that was six hours late getting here was unloaded (it had just arrived) and I could have gotten my eggs then instead of having to go back tomorrow and also thanked you sooner. Now if I just qualified for the free Dell tablet promo that TWC (including Oceanic for the first time - last year's Samsung deal was not valid in Hawaii) has going currently.....
--

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium
Fort Smith, AR
I still see rr in my traceroutes but eh...I think the site phased it out appropriately. They don't use Road Runner in any recent ad. They use Time Warner Cable high speed internet. Product of the spin off of TWC from Time Warner, where they lost the rights to the old RoadRunner character. So it exists only in the domain name rr, which does not reference said copyrighted character specifically. This site is only keeping up with how they been doing things(sort of mandated or TW could sue TWC for copyright infringement if you can imagine that). I personally open a couple ports for a couple services but flood protect them, but with a much more advanced firewall than comes with most home routers. Seems the half ass firmware implementations cause more problems than they solve, but if it hasn't caused problems, leave it on I say.