spc
Search similar:

uniqs

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx

Big Deal

I would rather they change the law to REQUIRE a device be unlocked (ie. the lien removed) when all contract obligations have been met. As it is, Sprint is still thumbing its nose at the CTIA agreement as they refused to fully unlock my paid off iPhone 4S and have basically said they never will. Their implementation of the CTIA policy is not scheduled to be in force until mid-February 2015 AND only for devices sold AFTER that date! And this is the company that wants put T-Mobile out of business. F__K them!
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

That and soldering in LTE UICC (SIM) into their phones... You can't fix that. Basically if you have a CDMA phone, do your homework and well those postpaid contracts are a sham designed to have you continually upgrade, dispose of the old device, and continue paying until you die.

Interestingly enough, I recently activated my old Photon 4G on RingPlus Mobile and was shocked that in your account they provide the MSL (which you need to unlock the phone). Apple is another Gig tho. You have to play w/ the SIM swap method. Hence why no more Apple in my house.

Now this is not a technical limitation, but a collusion between Apple and the carriers, so don't just blame the carrier, BLAME APPLE too. There are many Android phones out there with no such limitations.

From Sprint:

Not all Sprint devices have an MSL Code or a locking function that can be unlocked by Sprint ****(e.g., Apple devices cannot be unlocked to accept another domestic carriers' SIM card)****. On certain devices, not all functionality may be unlocked (e.g., for some smartphone devices, Sprint may be able to unlock the CDMA/voice functionality of the device but unable to unlock the GSM/UMTS/LTE portion of the device). Even if unlocked, Sprint devices will not necessarily work on another carrier's network.

From Forbes:

I next inserted my UK SIM card into the phone, and it logged into AT&T without issue, which confirmed what Verizon told me. I then interviewed managers at three different Apple corporate stores to confirm issues with regard to unlocking.

**** What consumers need to understand is that there are actually four different versions of the iPhone 4S: Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, and Apple. Only the Apple phone, available from their stores or on-line, is fully unlocked and can be used on any carrier outside the United States. The other phones are permanently locked and cannot ever be used on another carrier in the U.S. Even if you spend $800 for an unlocked phone as I did and dedicate it to a single U.S. carrier, you are locked into that carrier forever if you want to keep using the iPhone. Neither Apple or the other carriers will fully unlock your carrier phone.
Rekrul
join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT

1 recommendation

Rekrul to n2jtx

to n2jtx
said by n2jtx:

I would rather they change the law to REQUIRE a device be unlocked (ie. the lien removed) when all contract obligations have been met.

I would rather they change the law to not make it illegal to tinker & change the stuff that you've bought.

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx to elefante72

to elefante72
Yes, the Forbes article is correct. Plus several members on Sprint's own forums have worked with tech insiders at Apple who tell them their 4S can be unlocked and work with a domestic SIM but Sprint has to go into their Apple maintenance screens and remove the blockage. I do agree that Apple is also at fault here. As much as I like my iPhone 4S right now, I will not be looking to upgrade to another iPhone without some kind of policy change from Apple and/or Sprint. I am quite interested in the Samsung hardware and am giving thought to getting an Android device next time around. I have been running Android x86 in the VirtualBox emulator on my laptop and have gotten quite used to its operation. Next step would be to get a real device.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to elefante72

Premium Member

to elefante72
No Verizon sells unlocked iphone 5s on contract. I need to get a SIM to see if it will work with mine. (It probably will}
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

Yes he was talking about 4s. Since the iphone 5 it's not a problem. I have a Verizon iphone 5 that works just fine. 5s I don't think its carrier locked at all.

Also the newer iphones support many more LTE bands. That was a problem with the 4s due to chipset limitations...