spc
Search similar:

uniqs
newSymp
join:2003-11-06

newSymp

highway 402 looks like.....

Click for full size
Haven't been on this since last year.. it looks so ugly with all those windmills. . There are so many.

Looks like a giant space ship.

Even though these will produce some power we shouldn't expect any price drops e lol

Here is a pic of just a few

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

1 recommendation

donoreo

Premium Member

I actually think the turbines look great on the landscape. Aside from that, ANYTHING different along Hwy 402 is welcome. Most boring drive ever.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Try driving some of the southern US Interstates.. NOW that's boring...
Unless you count on giant crosses telling your to confess your sins as looking great.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to newSymp

Premium Member

to newSymp
said by newSymp:

Even though these will produce some power we shouldn't expect any price drops e lol

Price drops? hahaha... the prices went up huge because these things...
Robrr
join:2008-04-19

Robrr to donoreo

to donoreo
said by donoreo:

I actually think the turbines look great on the landscape. Aside from that, ANYTHING different along Hwy 402 is welcome. Most boring drive ever.

I agree!

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS

Premium Member

said by Robrr:

said by donoreo:

I agree!

Me 3
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
said by donoreo:

Aside from that, ANYTHING different along Hwy 402 is welcome. Most boring drive ever.

This. And this from a guy who grew up Windsor and made the trek along the 401 through Essex and Kent counties umpteen times.
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

1 recommendation

btech805 to newSymp

to newSymp
Every time I pass a windmill or solar farm it makes my blood boil. Im all for sustainable energy, but I am more infavor of sustainable economics. Yes they're clean energy producers (other than the hundreds of acres of farm land lost to them) but no one in their right mind would be building these if they were paid the same 6-8 cents Kwh we did before with hydro and nuclear power.

Instead because we are paying anywhere from $0.25-0.80/Kwh for these stupid things, I know have less money in my pocket at the end of the month.

WhaleOilBee
What a long strange trip it's been
join:2011-08-02
Manotick, ON

WhaleOilBee

said by btech805:

Instead because we are paying anywhere from $0.25-0.80/Kwh for these stupid things, I know have less money in my pocket at the end of the month.

+1.

Any business plan that pays more for a product than they sell it for is doomed. In the 'real' world, the managers would be tossed out. In our bizzarro world, they get a mandate.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
Try driving to Windsor, much, much worse.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to mr weather

Premium Member

to mr weather
said by mr weather:

This. And this from a guy who grew up Windsor and made the trek along the 401 through Essex and Kent counties umpteen times.

The 402 was how they discovered highway hypnosis. True story.
Gone

Gone to Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

to Thane_Bitter
said by Thane_Bitter:

Try driving to Windsor, much, much worse.

Haha no it's not. On the 401 at least you've got some curves until you get past Tilbury.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to btech805

Premium Member

to btech805
You realize that nuclear power (factoring in capital and waste disposal costs) is much higher then the 6-8c/kwh.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member

Thane_Bitter to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
The high point, if it could be called that is seeing the ethanol plant, I find the ride dull. While the 402 is certainly free of curves its a short ride.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

You realize that nuclear power (factoring in capital and waste disposal costs) is much higher then the 6-8c/kwh.

Not to mention the human/cost saving factor(s) that inevitably increase global radiation levels.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to newSymp

to newSymp
Click for full size
Nothing compared to the Mohave desert when I drove through it in the 90s.
Laidback
join:2001-09-30
Cochrane, ON

Laidback to newSymp

to newSymp
The 401 is also loaded with them between London and Windsor

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

Now when you drive through it's filled with solar farms. There's a huge one south of Henderson on US 95 that looks like a lake as you drive toward it.

Bender2000
Bite My Shiny Metal Ass
Premium Member
join:2002-05-06
J7W 8E4

Bender2000 to newSymp

Premium Member

to newSymp
I really don't understand how they are such a big deal while driving on the highway.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

Highway 21 and the lakeshore between Southampton and Kincardine used to be an oasis. My family has been living and vacationing in that area since 1860.

Now that whole corridor is Samsung City man. Concessions 6 through 12 near Port Elgin are really bad. I just don't bother going up there much any more. Maybe once every 3 or 4 years to clean up family graves. I don't spend any more time up there than is absolutely needed.

As necessary as it may arguably be, I find it all... so very ugly.

Mike

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

pnjunction to newSymp

Premium Member

to newSymp
Screw the environment...mah aesthetics. I've never understood it. Are coal mines and oil sand pits pretty, or just out of sight?

Residential noise complaints I can understand but whinging over the appearance...boohoo I hope they build a coal plant next to your house.
btech805
Canada

btech805 to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
What ever it is, it is much less than 80c/kwh we are paying now, which has in turned doubled most bills already and the end isn't in sight yet

Hydraglass
Premium Member
join:2002-05-08

Hydraglass

Premium Member

said by btech805:

What ever it is, it is much less than 80c/kwh we are paying now, which has in turned doubled most bills already and the end isn't in sight yet

Stop spewing bullshit and FUD. On-shore wind is 11.5c/kwh. This is LESS than lifetime costs of nuclear power (we haven't had to pay the 100 billion it's going to cost to decommission all the nuclear plants when their reactor vessels reach the end of their life.. then you'll wish no one EVER put one up in our province.
»fit.powerauthority.on.ca ··· schedule

Only small distributed solar that goes on rooftops (which is less than 1/10 of 1% of our power generation) gets anywhere near 30c/kwh -- and NOTHING gets 80c (sans a few rooftop solar installs permitted between 2005-2010).

I wish people would stop saying crap about wind farms costing 80c/kwh. 11.5 - that's all - no more no less.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Googling around, I find a couple of reports that say electricity from nukes, ranges from 19 to 37c/kwh all in. I'm surmising that when they say all in, they're estimating decommissioning costs as well as disposal. If not, it's gotta be significantly more.

That's over 3x the amount we pay for wind power.
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather

Premium Member

Except that wind only works when it's, well, windy. More often than not when demand for electricity is high (high temps, a/c use) there isn't much wind around.

Back on topic... I'd say the worst of the 401 is between Chatham and Tilbury where there's nothing but field after field.
Riplin
join:2002-05-13
canada

Riplin to newSymp

to newSymp
They've also made the approach to Manitoulin Island at the swing bridge disgusting now. Used to be a picturesque approach, now there's about 30 windmills up.
btech805
Canada

1 recommendation

btech805 to Hydraglass

to Hydraglass
It isn't bull when you factor in the true costs of wind and solar are generating EXCESS power we do not need and paying guaranteed amounts whether we need them or not. As a result we spend over $4M/day paying Quebec, new york and michigan to take out excess power. Also when you factor in the thousands of acres of good farmland we've lost to these wind and solar farms, and are now importing more food and ethanol corn and soy from outside the country and province to meet our needs.

The methods are also highly inefficient compared to clean hydro or "dirty" coal and nuclear power when the thousands of acres of wind and solar farms generate less than 5% of our power on a good day, and typically less than 1% of our total power.

Also of we are generating so much excess power and are losing money every day doing such, why is the government pushing energy savings when it would SAVE money for us to use more power.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member

Thane_Bitter to dillyhammer

Premium Member

to dillyhammer
They will be ruining the area North of Grand Bend to about 8km South of Bayfield with turbines. I was my neck of the woods at one point but between the power line, and its twin, and now these things its gotten ugly.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to btech805

Premium Member

to btech805
said by btech805:

It isn't bull when you factor in the true costs of wind and solar are generating EXCESS power we do not need and paying guaranteed amounts whether we need them or not.

It's bull.

The FIT program, with all its warts, is responsible for such a small portion of the current hydro problems it's not even worth talking about.

The landscape up in the Bruce irks me more.

Mike

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by peterboro:

Now when you drive through it's filled with solar farms. There's a huge one south of Henderson on US 95 that looks like a lake as you drive toward it.

you aren't kidding.

»www.google.ca/maps/place ··· c4?hl=en