dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
LittleBill
join:2013-05-24

LittleBill to TheMG

to TheMG

Re: [Plumbing] Experiences downsizing a water heater....

said by TheMG:

said by Camelot One:

The only potential issue I see in downsizing by 10 gallons is a large bath. If you have one of the bigger garden tubs, or a jet tub, you might consider how much water it takes to fill it. A wife who can't take a proper hot bubble bath can make life unpleasant.

My parents have one of those large jet tubs in their new house. In 5 years since they bought the house they've only used it about 10 times.

Costs a small FORTUNE both in water consumption and natural gas consumption (to heat the water) to fill the damned thing!

news to me, i figure it costs me roughly 3 dollars and our tub uses 90 gallons, and i use 2 electric water heaters

JimDandy
@63.246.135.x

JimDandy

Anon

I used an electric tankless heater for eight years and it was great.

Lower energy cost which was important because where I was the electricity rate was $0.52 per Kwh. Figure on saving 30% on energy.

Also they have a longer life as there isn't a storage tank to rust away.

The small size frees up additional storage room if that is important to you.

With a tankless heater that is correctly sized you never run out of hot water.

NS4683
join:2000-08-25
NJ

NS4683

said by JimDandy :

I used an electric tankless heater for eight years and it was great.

Lower energy cost which was important because where I was the electricity rate was $0.52 per Kwh. Figure on saving 30% on energy.

I would say $0.52 per kWh is far from being cheap.

JimDandy
@63.246.135.x

JimDandy

Anon

When you live on a Caribbean island that generates electricity using fuel oil that is what electricity costs. No natural gas and propane has to be imported you are screwed. Water was also expensive in that most of it had to be produced using reverse osmosis and those pumps run on electricity. Water was $0.04 per gallon.

Life in paradise wasn't cheap.