spc
Search similar:

uniqs
pparks1
join:2002-01-01
Westland, MI

pparks1

Email Problems, relaying not allowed?

Starting today, we are not able to send email...although we can get email. When we attempt to send we get an error back saying.

Cannot send the message. Verify the e-mail address in your account properties. The server responded: 550 5.7.1 relaying denied.

My settings in Outlook are as follows;
pop3.mail.wowway.com
smtp.mail.wowway.com

Is this just part of the mail upgrade, are some of you also seeing this? If so, i'll just sit and be patient.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

Bill_MI

MVM

Yes, I just did a check and there has been a change. Authenticate to the smtp server for sending with your WOW account credentials. I'm sure Outlook can do it but I have no details. Let us know that works?

This was only a matter of time - the days of non-authenticated smtp has been long gone at other ISPs.
devolved
join:2012-07-11
Rapid City, SD

devolved to pparks1

to pparks1
Relaying should be turned off to begin with. Spammers relay unauthenticated mails all the time.

I think you will just have to authenticate with your login credentials as Bill said.
pparks1
join:2002-01-01
Westland, MI

pparks1

Thanks guys, that was exactly it. I had just gotten home and was heading out for a run. My wife mentioned she was having problems with email.

I checked here and and saw a few other posts, but they didn't match the problem that I was having, so I posted my message with very little troubleshooting.

I thank you guys very much for providing the answer while I was out running. It's very easy to set in Outlook. You can just tick a box that says use the same credentials for outgoing as the incoming server. Fixed in about 10 seconds.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
Royal Oak, MI

Bill_MI

MVM

Great! Thanks for letting us know and I bet this thread helps a few others.
devolved
join:2012-07-11
Rapid City, SD

devolved to Bill_MI

to Bill_MI
Cool! Glad you got it working.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

Bill_MI

MVM

For the record, WOW smtp has been open but only from WOW IP addresses and headers tagged. This isn't exactly a spammers haven but I'm sure WOW tracked down more than a few 'powned' machines taking advantage of it.

But changes always causes support calls and I bet they're getting a few.

aes128
join:2003-12-19
Warren, MI

aes128 to pparks1

to pparks1
For those who are not aware, WOW supports both smtps and pop3s, encrypted in and outbound email. I have had this set for quite some time. Perhaps it was only an option before and is now required?

Anyone using an email client should make sure you are using encrypted in and out for email.