All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
mdv921
join:2008-06-26

mdv921

Gateway problem after power outage

I went out on Tuesday of this week and during my absence a storm came through. When I got home I noticed that my power had apparently gone off and come back on since all the clocks were blinking. I went into the computer room to check and I noticed the Uverse gateway "service" light was solid red. I rebooted everything 3 times to no avail, then called AT&T. Talked with some person who clearly knew absolutely nothing as she was typing everything I said into her computer and reading it back to me as she did it. Then we waited for her computer to tell her where to go from there. As usual she said "it sounds like your gateway has gone bad, but it could be a wiring problem so I'm going to set up a tech visit and the first available slot I have is Friday. Needless to say I wasn't happy but I had no choice.

Later that night I decided to call AT&T again and ask to speak to someone with more technical experience. I got a manager on the line, told her the story and she said she would immediately do a line check. The first person I spoke with earlier that day said she couldn't do a line check because she wasn't able to even communicate with my modem. This made no sense to me since she would have been checking the line, not my modem. Well, within a few seconds of the manager starting the line check the service light on the gateway turned solid green and I had internet again.

I'm now wondering if I'm going to have to deal with this every time the power goes out, and it goes out a lot as we have big storms through here all the time. Does this sound like a normal reaction to a power outage with these Uverse gateways (I have the Motorola NVG510), or is it possible this gateway is faulty and needs to be replaced?