Search similar:

uniqs

mouse
Premium Member
join:2007-03-29
australia

mouse

Premium Member

what does this certificate alert in Opera mean?

Click for full size
Opera Alert
When I go to this news site with Opera (V 12.17) here »www.smh.com.au/business I am getting the attached alert regarding the server's certificate.
I usually reject this and notice no difference. I am not sure what autolinkmaker.itunes.apple.com has to do with this page but I don't get this alert in Chrome or FF.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22

Click for full size
It appears to me that apple has goofed up their affiliate link website by changing its name or typo-ing the server name. The reason why you might be getting references from that other webpage is that there could be an ad or link for an itunes product of some sort (app, song, video).
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

1 edit

Mele20 to mouse

Premium Member

to mouse
Click for full size
I went there on the same version of Opera but I didn't get that alert. The reason though is because Ghostery blocks that tracker. So, I unblocked it temporarily and refreshed the page and got the same popup.

I wouldn't worry about it. Opera 12x (and 11x) like to be very picky about security certs. Opera is correct that the server's cert doesn't match its host name. But since that is just a tracking site that you are letting track you has this problem doesn't really matter because you are not going to linkmaker.itunes.apple.com but just passing by on your way to The Sydney Morning Herald.

I tried Pale Moon there just now and Ghostery blocked 11 trackers including the itunes one. So, I told Ghostery to allow it. I refreshed the page and no cert popup. But I didn't expect Fx or Pale Moon to alert as only Opera before version 15 was so minuté about certs. Once I stopped using Opera as my default browser, I still check anything odd about a cert using Opera because it will tell me things that other browsers don't. Sometimes I want to know those things but other times its more of "nuisance" like in this case

mouse
Premium Member
join:2007-03-29
australia

mouse

Premium Member

thank you guys - I do hit reject in these cases and don't save cookies in Opera anyway but was just curious why only Opera finds this relevant