join:2000-06-11
New York

inGearX

How to protect your next new laptop?

How do you protect your machine?

Lets cover every aspect and option

* get keyboard silicon against liquid spills
* get a case for it..

* put small silicon buffers along LCD to prevent LCD touching they keyboard when closed and scratching

* i am sure a dozen other thinfs .. lets list them..

What about against falls when it is being used? Mine dell..
Like the power cord might be stretched and someone can trip/pull it and laptop along..

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Be careful and don't put it on the ledge, or leave the power card across a common walkway.

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy to inGearX

MVM

to inGearX
How about treating it like the delicate piece of electronics that it is?

HP's business line has spill proof keyboard as standard equipment.

Adding the items that you are suggesting only promotes not treating the unit properly. If you have issues treating it properly then invest in a Toughbook.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to inGearX

MVM

to inGearX
Being mindful, carful and using common sense is probably the best protection.

I've had quite a few laptops throughout the years and I have never dropped, scratched, spilled on or damaged any of them in any way,....

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One to inGearX

MVM

to inGearX
I've found the best way to protect my laptop is to not drop it or spill stuff on it. I do transport it in a sleeve inside my bag, and until switching to the ultra-thin model I have now, I always spent about $10 for a keyboard cover. It was more to keep dirt out than liquids though.

When it comes to physical drops and liquid, if those are really an issue for you, look into the toughbook line. Nothing much you can do to protect a normal laptop from that type of abuse.
asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium Member
join:2012-05-09

asdfdfdfdfdf to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX
I think its more a question of changing habits.

If you move it around and are prone to bumping/dropping then I would certainly get a well padded case for it and not carry it anywhere without it being in the case.

Don't have liquids or foods near it and don't eat while using it.

If it is in a location where people/children/animals are likely to catch the cord then I would disconnect the ac and use it on battery, even when home and move it to an out of the way corner with a plug nearby to charge it, preferably in a room animals and children don't frequent.

Your display already likely has rubber pieces along the edge of the screen so that it doesn't hit plastic on plastic when the lid is closed. If you have children who slam it shut then you need to teach them not to do that.

In general, though, I don't think there are technological solutions to your question, which is my key point. It is a matter of altering behavior and practicing more care. If that isn't likely to happen then you are going to have damaged laptops no matter what you do. I would consider getting a desktop for home family use(with a good quality desk against a wall and all cables tucked neatly away) if this is a major ongoing problem.

WickedWinter
join:2003-08-02
USA

WickedWinter to inGearX

to inGearX
I have carried a laptop since getting my first in '92, and have not needed any of the items you have listed. I use a standard 'messenger' type padded case made by Microsoft. I close the lid when not in use to keep dust off the keyboard.

»www.amazon.com/Microsoft ··· TJSKMCAM

The worst thing that I see careless coworkers doing is rolling them in laptop bags with wheels down the sidewalk. Clunk-Clunk-Clunk -those guys have a lot of mysterious issues.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97 to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX
Accidental damage warranty

I have it on my HP Envy and got my money's worth out of it. A few years ago I traveled to CA and made the mistake of putting my laptop in my checked bag. I didn't want to carry it on, as I wouldn't be using this ten-pound beast on the plane. Well, I guess the TSA dropped it because my bag had one of the notifications in there that it had been examined/searched. The case was cracked, the bezel came apart around the screen, etc. It was pretty hammered. But, it still worked.

I sent it in to HP and got practically a brand new machine back. The list of parts replaced was more than I expected. I had expanded the RAM, and I got my actual RAM modules back (a pair of 8GB vs the factory pair of 4GB).

After that, I only take my work laptop with me if I fly somewhere. It's much smaller and I really don't care what happens to it, as it's leased and gets replaced every two years anyway.

I've got a nice laptop case for when I do take my personal laptop with me. It's well protected.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX
Why?

I've been using this cheap Dell laptop since 2007. It's still electronically fine. The outside is a little scuffed, and the 'metallic' finish has worn off the wrist rest to the right hand side of the touchpad. The cat sometimes sits on it when I leave it on the floor.

I put it in a padded laptop 'briefcase' when I travel with it, but that's all. No need to baby the thing; it's a tool.

BK3
join:2001-04-10
Geneva, IL

BK3 to inGearX

to inGearX
Use a docking station. This way you don't have to worry about cords and wires and forgetting to unplug 1 or more of them. Makes it easy to use an external monitor or 2, along with a standard keyboard and mouse when working at your desk.

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Cthen to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX
Get a Panasonic toughbook.

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium Member
join:2009-03-18
Sacramento, CA

Tirael to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX
I had an HP laptop that survived 8 months in Iraq. When I got back from deployment, my dog knocked it off a table. Then I bought a Sony Vaio (in 2008). It died last year because of a SATA controller malfunction.

Replaced that with an MSI GE70-2OE. My bag has a padded section for laptops and I keep it in there. Otherwise, I make sure I keep drinks and other things bad for electronics away from it. It is a delicate piece of fairly expensive electronics. I change my habits, not reinforce them.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX
Start by purchasing a robustly built laptop.
I used to by Toshiba Satellite/Pro machines - back in the day they were built like tanks. I had one that fell 5' onto concrete when it was closed - landed on a corner of the case. Just some chipped plastic.

Then encrypt your drive using something other than Bitlocker (if using WIndows).

inGearX
3.1415 9265
join:2000-06-11
New York

inGearX

good info

yes indeed .. if one does not respect and care .. nothing will save it ..

that's the core .. that's the essence .. (and I am careful and it is still living well 3 years after...)

BUT even if one cares and is careful .. doesn't mean that it will live ..

someone else could be careless and accidents happen ..

so small things help .. it's like putting airbags in a car .. how can you argue against that?

so I think a GOOD case is a must

I think keyboard cover is a MUST .. much like screen protect or is for phones ..

I wish we could come up with a list of possible options / features ..

and people would choose on their own what they want to do ..

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

said by inGearX:

so I think a GOOD case is a must

I think keyboard cover is a MUST .. much like screen protect or is for phones ..

No and no.

You just have to exercise some sensible care and don't put your cup of drink next to a laptop, and make sure you position your laptop in a way so it can't fall. All I have for my laptops are just some cheap neoprene sleeves, and never had any problem.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

I think your summary is "don't act like a klutz".
HappyFrappy
join:2000-10-04
North

HappyFrappy to inGearX

to inGearX
Doubtful laptop wheeled cases rattle more than normal carrying/travel, my old PowerBook G4 had lots of weird/mysterious issues as I made so many travels between NYC to DC via Amtrak... clunk-clunk-clunk of the train loosened my Airport Extreme card from the slot and wifi antenna cable. Often I need to replace notebook HDDs every two years on my work machine as travel takes a toll on the SMART status.

Models which feature a docking port are great for road warriors, you don't stress out the system ports when at a desk. USB based docks are hit and miss, some makers are more problems than they're worth.

Depending upon the keyboard, a cover can be a good idea to keep dust/skin/hair out and improve key grip--without a cover I can't type well on a chiclet keyboard but old style keyboards(Thinkpads pre-430/530 style) my typo rate is 0.5%

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One to inGearX

MVM

to inGearX
I usually put a key protector on mine, but not to protect it from spills. Its because dirty or worn keys are usually the only blemish on my gear, and I tend to use something for a year and then sell it. A $10 key cover keeps me from having to put a new keyboard on when I am ready to sell. I am not convinced they would do much good against spilled liquid.