spc
Search similar:

uniqs
boopor
join:2014-07-18

boopor

Help needed to configure two routers

Hello first post

I thought it would be a good project to make a router out of a raspberry pi using openwrt as the OS but I'm having doubts, I just can't configure the thing properly.

The current setup is connected like this
internet > modem/router > openwrt router > switch > PC

The tests I've tried are
ping
nslookup
tracetoute

From my openwrt router(using ssh) or a PC connected to the lan of openwrt router.

I can ping any outside address without packet loss.

I can traceroot some web sites like www.google.com which shows all the hops.

But I can not traceroot others like www.yahoo.com, some of the hops return * * * *.

Clicking a bookmark will cause openwrt to reboot without loading any web pages.

I'm getting conflicting results which only adds confusion to my limited networking knowledge. I need a guru to help me trouble shoot this.

Also do you think it's worth while me trying to configure openwrt or should I look for a different OS for the raspberry pi and start over.

Thanks
Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil
join:2006-05-14
Colorado

Bink

said by boopor:

But I can not traceroot others like www.yahoo.com, some of the hops return * * * *.

Many sites/routers block traceroute—you can also try traceroute –P 1.
said by boopor:

Clicking a bookmark will cause openwrt to reboot without loading any web pages.

Sounds like an OpenWrt issue—might be a hardware issue as well.
boopor
join:2014-07-18

boopor

Thanks for the reply
I think I'll look for another OS
jobr
join:2004-10-21
Halifax, NS

jobr to boopor

to boopor
First of all, it sounds like it could be an interesting project to play with but a Raspberry Pi is not very well suited to be a router - it only has one 100 megabit/s port, which also shares bandwidth with the USB controller. If this is something you're planning on using long-term, I'd recommend installing Openwrt on an actual router.

Second, which Openwrt build did you use? You may want to try the Barrier Breaker release candidate at »downloads.openwrt.org/ba ··· generic/ .

And how did you connect both the modem/router and the switch? USB Ethernet card?