join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA

1 recommendation

SixOfNine

Premium Member

[TV] Some "Better Call Saul" Details

»mashable.com/2014/07/11/ ··· ain-link

Excerpts:

Eight episodes into writing the first season of Better Call Saul, creators Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould are finally spilling some details about one of television's most anticipated shows.

The series, they revealed Friday during the Television Critics Association press tour in Los Angeles, will be set six years before Saul Goodman (Bob Odenkirk) met Walter White (Bryan Cranston), which puts the show in approximately 2002. When viewers meet Saul, he sports the name Jimmy McGill and is a small-time lawyer "searching for his destiny, and, more immediately, hustling to make ends meet," according to a description for the series, which is set to debut in 2015.

But while the story will be set in the past and chronicles Jimmy's transformation into Saul, as widely reported, the timeline will be flexible. Or, as Gilligan put it, the show will very much reflect the way arcs were told on Breaking Bad...

Meanwhile, the duo confirmed the addition of Michael McKean (This Is Spinal Tap) to the cast, and revealed that the actor will play Saul's brother. "So we have these two comedy legends working together," Gould said...

While delays in production are often thought of as signals of creative disarray, Gilligan said that's not the case with Better Call Saul, which had its premiere pushed back last month. Gilligan said he's simply a slow writer...

Will we see Chili? Will we see Gus? "There's always a chance," said Gilligan. Though Gould added, "We're trying to make something that stands on its own that has an entertainment value that's not just seeing a series of old favorites. It's not the series equivalent of a clip show."

Previously, it was announced that Jonathan Banks would reprise his role as Mike Ehrmantraut.

Additionally, the network confirmed the addition of Rhea Seehorn (Whitney), Patrick Fabian (Grey’s Anatomy) and Michael Mando (Orphan Black) to Saul's cast...

seaquake
MVM
join:2001-03-23
Millersville, MD

seaquake

MVM

I'm mildly looking forward to this. I just hope they don't do a mid-season break like they did for Breaking Bad season 4. Put all 10, 12, 16 or whatever episodes together and call it a season.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

said by seaquake:

I just hope they don't do a mid-season break like they did for Breaking Bad season 4. Put all 10, 12, 16 or whatever episodes together and call it a season.

Agreed!

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to seaquake

Premium Member

to seaquake
1/2 seasons is the next best thing for revenue generation. Break up the seasons, it's cheaper, less content to create.

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium Member
Sterling, VA

SixOfNine

Premium Member

As the article mentioned, the only reason that Breaking Bad was split into two half-seasons was because Gilligan was slow getting the scripts written. Here's hoping he can speed things up.
SixOfNine

SixOfNine

Premium Member

We have a 10-second trailer and a February start date.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· coVVvURk

And from Mashable:

Back in July, creator Vince Gilligan said the prequel would take place in approximately 2002, set six years before Saul met Walter White (Bryan Cranston). When viewers meet Saul in the series premiere, he has the name Jimmy McGill and is a small-time lawyer "searching for his destiny, and, more immediately, hustling to make ends meet," according to a description for the series, which has already been renewed for Season 2.

The story will chronicle Jimmy's transformation into Saul and, like Breaking Bad, utilize nonlinear storytelling, said Gilligan. "I would definitely [say] anything possible on Breaking Bad storytelling wise is possible on Better Call Saul," he said.

»mashable.com/2014/08/11/ ··· ing-bad/
SixOfNine

SixOfNine

Premium Member

Update:

The loveably sleazy Saul Goodman is almost back on the air. AMC has announced that Better Call Saul will premiere across two nights, Sunday, February 8th and Monday, February 9th at 10PM ET/PT. From there, AMC will continue to air one episode every Monday at 10. Alongside Bob Odenkirk, who's returning as Saul, Jonathan Banks will be returning as his right-hand man, of sorts, Mike Ehrmantraut. The series takes place six years before the events of Breaking Bad and will show Saul's rise from a small-time lawyer to the successful and totally unethical one that we all already know. That's about all of the details on the series' plot so far, and its latest teaser doesn't reveal much more — though it sure makes it look like the show could have a similar tone to Breaking Bad.

Nice to see that Mike will be in the cast!

»www.theverge.com/2014/11 ··· -trailer
SixOfNine

SixOfNine

Premium Member

New trailer:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· E_9wY1nU

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

I'm looking forward to this.

SixOfNine
Premium Member
Sterling, VA

1 recommendation

SixOfNine

Premium Member

Looking good!

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· IGfVFb-U

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to SixOfNine

MVM

to SixOfNine
I'm in,......

I am definitely in!!!!

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix to SixOfNine

Premium Member

to SixOfNine
Looking forward to this. With Better Call Saul airing on Mondays; Justified, and Person of Interest airing on Tuesdays; Suits airing on Wednesdays; Elementary on Thursdays; and Blue Bloods, Grimm, and The Musketeers airing on Fridays; my weeknights are looking pretty good.

SixOfNine
Premium Member
Sterling, VA

SixOfNine

Premium Member

Feeling nostalgic? Here are some Saul highlights from Breaking Bad.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· vI8kDW1U

bmetelsky
Premium Member
join:2005-10-16
Elyria, OH

bmetelsky

Premium Member

Those highlights almost make me want to watch BB again!!

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium Member
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX

juilinsandar to SixOfNine

Premium Member

to SixOfNine
Do you think that one would have had to watch breaking bad in order to enjoy this series, or is it going to be stand alone?

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

1 recommendation

Octavean

MVM

Tonight's the night,......
said by juilinsandar:

Do you think that one would have had to watch breaking bad in order to enjoy this series, or is it going to be stand alone?

My understanding is that the events in this spinoff take place before those in Breaking Bad. Therefor, no I don't think you would need any specific info from BB.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to SixOfNine

Premium Member

to SixOfNine
Wow terrible show................this isn't going to last long.

Rip off of another show that was cancelled last year....can't remember the name.
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

1 edit

graniterock

Premium Member

I found the first episode of breaking so bad boring that I fell asleep 3 times watching but made it through eventually and ended up loving the show. I actually have enjoyed the first two episodes (number two particularly) of Better Call Saul. The desert scene in particular I enjoyed.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

Agreed