how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

buckos

@207.195.35.x
reply to sleedham

Re: Rogers Hamilton Mtn

Who the blame for switch is it Shaw or Rogers. So shaw losing customers once they done the transition. How this work?

cepnot4me

join:2013-10-29
L0C 1K0
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to daks

said by daks:

Rogers should stop learning stuff from Comcast on management style.

+1.

Internally I've been screaming that for years.

So I've asked around. This is what I've gotten.

It was supposed to be "like for like". That didn't mean You'd be keeping your shaw equipment, it meant you'd be getting Rogers Motorola equipment for Shaw Motorola equipment.

Mountain cable employees were responsible for the switch. They sort of were left alone to do this (Their platform, their people, they should know what to do.)

No one thought that the problem would have taken so long to fix (Which is why they kept going migrating more).

Of the 4 people I talked to, no one they know, or themselves know what is actually wrong.

The Rogers employees getting involved in it now, hear a different story everyday.

The backend stuff I was referring to at the start appears to be done and working. There were problems which may have been a bit of the cause, but they are resolved now and shouldn't be a part of it.

ETA is unknown. Well not true, the Eta is 24 hours. But it has been 24 hours everyday since they started working on it.

The blame I think falls on Rogers. Shaw is out of the picture on this. They have been for months.

If the Shaw D3 plant was more advanced than the Rogers D3 plant. Rogers is to blame for thinking they could just disconnect/reconnect. Engineering should have seen that a mile away.

I'll update more as I talk to more people.

SCEvan

@173.32.38.x
reply to buckos

You guys still having issues? I've been fine since the 21st.

daks

join:2014-07-18
reply to daks

Thanks cepnot4me!

Yep still issues I'm at less than half of what my speeds should be we've made it up to 6 down and 3 up. Couple of my friends have to same issues.

cepnot4me

L0C 1K0
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

The good news, I can't say for sure, but I would imagine that bill credits are coming for everyone affected.

Rogers is pretty good like that.

(An expectation which may be fine so long as there aren't any more problems after this one is fixed).

sleedham

join:2014-07-23
Hamilton, ON

Fixed today! Changed out the Cisco 3825 modem and I was good to go. I never received the firmware update. It appears the problem is def related to the Cisco modem. Push for the update or a replacement.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
reply to daks

I am only partly around. Back in a week!

As I understand it, the core of the DOCSIS system is compatible across all platforms, but each manufacturer has its own additions to the standards that may not be compatible and require disabling so it doesnt foul other makes.

Then theres things like automated processes that look at the reponses from the cmts s. The error message may be subtly different, like T4 timeout errors have changed. The automated sysems may not recognize the messages.

A classic exmple occure several years ago when Terayon TeraJet modems started failing after a cmts upgrade in certain areas. They had Terayon in, and Various CMTS makers in to try to resolve the problem. The result was Rogers ditched Terayon. (shortly after Terayon disappeared! Coincidence?)

There are just too many varianrts.

As someone noted, part of the problem that Rogers has is that they try to operate one integrated network from coast to coast, so, that means that for example Rogers modem firmware is unique and a pain for TPIAs.

daks

reply to daks

Rogers just configures the modems, they do not write their own firmware.

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3642696399 3 Down/3Mpbs Up -July 23

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3643942603 5 Down/ 3 Up -July 23

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3647065788 6 Down / 3 up - July 25

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3653966690 16 Down / 3 up - July 28

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3654846846 9 Down / 3 Up -July 29

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3656206957 4 Down / 3 Up - July 30

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3658238452 11Down / 3 Up - July 30

Rogers has been "configuring" the CMTS' in this area with some luck.

*But* Rogers as usual is having other network issues, i.e. I "caught" one happening this evening as I was doing a speedtest for this message and ... it turns out the network issue was no where near Hamilton. All traffic stopped at 64.71.240.66 .

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13

Rogers does have custom firmware for the modems they order in many cases (not written themselves).

QuantumFluxx

@173.33.8.x
reply to daks

So I am going to write about my experience as a resident in Hamilton who was a customer of Shaw, and what Rogers has done to all of our services since the switchover.

First things first, I'll start with the transition process itself. It was not a smooth transition at all. They called us every few days, most days 5-6 times a day, to tell me that they were going to be doing the transition in my area and it would be done on a specific date. Then the day before, we'd get another 4-5 calls telling us that it was delayed and wasn't going to happen after all. This process repeated for about the entire month of july. They called our house more often than telemarketers or scam calls. I asked them to stop calling to tell us the same thing, and they kept doing it anyways.

Eventually the transition finally happened on the 25th. Since then, we have had nothing but problems. The home phone cuts in and out a lot more often than it used to with Shaw. We get calls that don't even ring, and we get messages on the voice mail that the rogers system doesn't even alert us that its there. We will check messages after finally getting a prompt for a call on tuesday, and find out there was a call and message left on friday that Rogers system just plain said -nothing- about.

The television service, had issues right away as well. We lost our HBO and movie channels, and had to call them to get them to restore it twice. Now, it was on one of these phone calls that I decided to discuss with them what the internet situation was.

The Rogers agent told me that during the switchover, my internet package had been upgraded from the Shaw Broadband 100 with 500gb bandwidth, to the Rogers 150Mbit plan with unlimited bandwidth packed on. He told me this was a special price and I was "lucky", that this was only going to be offered for a year, and if I made -any- changes to the services then the price and package would lose its grandfathered status.

Cool, I thought, we just resubscribed to Netflix and I wanted to bump us up to the 150 with unlimited anyways, we were going to just cancel the home phone (since it wasn't working anyways) because we have Rogers cell phones with unlimited long distance, so what use is a shoddy house phone right?

I started looking at my internet speeds, and I noticed right away that my internet felt a lot slower than it did on Shaw. I figured it might be down to many people getting faster speeds and maybe over saturation of the node was happening in my area. I was getting consistent speeds of about 50mbit down and 3-4mbit up. I decided to finally call in again today to find out if there was an issue with the node or just maybe my modem wasn't provisioned properly to the new package.

Boy was that not the case. After being transferred from billing, to tech support, and back to billing, I was told that my package as it shows on their system, is a 45MBit download package with 5mbit upload. Less than half the speed that I was getting from Shaw. I asked them if they could fix it, set me up with the proper speeds, told them I was even willing to leave the "grandfathered" status and just switch to the proper 150/15 unlimited package. But then they told me that they couldn't offer speeds faster than 60mbit anywhere in Hamilton. I was shocked. On shaw, I was actually consistently getting MORE than my 100mbit plan, I was getting about 125-130mbit down and 6mbit upload. When I do my speed test now with Rogers, it starts, at 100mbit, then quickly the 'cap' kicks in and the speed drops down to 50. So I -know- that they can handle that speed at my location, they handled it fine here for 2 years, and they still handle it fine before their lousy system kicks in and shuts it down to 45.

My question I guess, is I thought that there were laws and CRTC regulations in place to protect customers from getting screwed over in the event of a take-over like this. When Shaw bought out Mountain Cable, they kept people at their exact same packages, and offered the ability to upgrade to their faster tiers. Rogers, has basically cut everything down, internet by 50%, we've lost channels on our tv package that used to be there, and our phone service is intermittent at best.

Is there any recourse? Has anyone else from Hamilton had to deal with similar issues? I asked them when they thought they would get around to offering the speeds I have had for the last two years, and they just told me "maybe in a few months" which we all know is code for "no idea don't ask me".

Since they have changed basically everything in our package, do I at least have legal ground to stand on for breaching contract and cancelling service before its over? I don't get how they expect me to be thankful that they are charging me the same price for half as much service.

daks

reply to daks

If you try and quit Rogers. they try and say you have to keep them for 30 more days. You do not have to, as they are in breach of contract. BUT if you can't get them to back down on it, you can fight but... by the time you go through all that crap... it ain't worth it. It's going to have to take class action type work to have any chance. Rogers has a whole legal team to make it very expensive to fight. Once you even get there.

Welcome to standard Rogers operating policy, bad service, unkept promises, will not accept any responsibility for their sub-standard service and just too big to care.

Mountain Cable and Shaw both proved they can do what Rogers can't.

Unfortunately the problem(s) with Rogers is not localized to Hamilton.

Hooter

join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON

Not to mention horrendous hardware - modems and PVR boxes!

Chromium

join:2014-08-17
Hamilton, ON
reply to daks

Sad to say but this is STILL going on. Had been fine for a month. Speeds at or over the promised 150. Then on Thursday out of the blue a major slowdown until finally on Saturday frequent disconnects and a 0.2 speedtest the rest of the night. Anyone got some advice to sort this out. Talking to Rogers was a frustration as they didn't even acknowledge this issue existed.

Has switching out the modem worked?

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..

1 edit

said by Chromium:

Anyone got some advice to sort this out.

Switch to VDSL through an independent like Start Communications or Teksavvy, and switch to Shaw Direct for television service - more channels, better service, less money.

Once done you'd have nothing further to do with Rogers. If you're happy with the result, and I think you will be, then get your neighbours to do the same.

If in the unlikely event Rogers gets their shit together in Hamilton you can switch back afterward. At least from now until then your internet and TV will be stable. And better. And cheaper.

Mike
--
I've picked on Cogeco long enough. Who's next? Any volunteers?

cepnot4me

L0C 1K0
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

I really hate when you say this.

However, in this case.. I'd have to agree. Rogers has to figure their crap out, if you've gone months with an unreliable unstable connection, switching off to DSL of some sort is probably your best bet.

DSL in all it forms has its own issues, so you could trade bad for worse. But it's worth the risk. I'd give Rogers a year, check in the Rogers.com website to see updates, go back to cable when it's stable again.
I doubt there is a reason to switch your TV services over though, I'd avoid any type of dish whatsoever. I'd keep Rogers for that.

*hangs head. I think we've really dropped the ball on this one.

Expand your moderator at work

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2
reply to cepnot4me

said by cepnot4me:

I doubt there is a reason to switch your TV services over though, I'd avoid any type of dish whatsoever. I'd keep Rogers for that.

Sadly, Rogers has the WORST digital TV packages on the PLANET.

SHAW Direct's 'digital favorites' package @ $70/month has Rogers BEATEN HANDS DOWN.

With Rogers it's just more money after more money PLUS box rentals just to get the few channels you actually WANT to watch. Even their 'digital plus' is worthless without adding $15/month for the extra sports package just to watch a few Nascar races on TSN2 etc. Pay for 5 extra channels just to watch a couple hours ONCE a week on ONE. WHAT A RIP AS USUAL.

Scam after scam AFTER SCAM is all you get with Rogers digital TV.

AND we won't even talk about that POS Nextbox 3.

cepnot4me

L0C 1K0
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

That depends on your channel preferences. For me Rogers has everything I want, in Basic, everything my house needs in Ultimate, no need for add on packages, no need for specialty packs.

But I don't watch sports.
When I had cable, I had one 4642. One TV. Ultimate cable and I saw everything I wanted.

*shrugs, good or bad each companies line up is personal preference.

elitefx

London, ON

1 edit

Yea, it's got nothing to do with channel preferences. It's all about 'Value for the Dollar'.

Rogers packs every brain dead mind numbing worthless channel they can find into their base packages and then CLAIMS it's 'Digital plus' AND not to mention 37 versions of the same network feed with all the nauseating Reality shows you can stomach.

NOT a movie to be found anywhere EXCEPT in the specialty packages at an added monthly cost. Unless you want to watch the same REPEAT 20 year old movie for the 50th time.

And then there's the 'Aquarium channel' REALLY.

Are people actually that mentally challenged that they would actually spend $600 on a Big Screen and Rogers cable bill/month just to watch computer generated fish swim around? And Rogers calls this 'Digital Plus?'.

ANY entertainment value can only be found on Rogers highest tier packages at OBVIOUSLY the highest cable rates around.

AND THEN of course comes Rogers 'box' rental fees along with it.

House after house after house in my neck of the woods has a Satellite dish bolted to it. Is there any wondering why? Unless you're stuck in an apartment, with no clear line of sight to a satellite, the obvious choice for your entertainment dollar is clear.

Go with Bell or switch to Shaw Direct. Rogers TV doesn't even enter the equation any more.

No entertainment VALUE period.

Expand your moderator at work

cepnot4me

L0C 1K0
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to elitefx

Lol. See I have the most basic Expressvu package. I'm not sure what it includes, but I know I have 8 Versions of CTV. The guide shows me more pay per view stations than regular stations I can actually get.

And to be honest, I haven't found a single station other than CTV that has any content worth watching.

With cable I at least got global. CP24..

I could argue that Dish is worse, Rogers is better.. however I don't think it matters. When it comes to channel line up, the broadcasters suck.

Bell, Rogers, Shaw. They all offer me nothing to be honest.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

500 channels and nothing on.
And you wonder why people find "alternate" ways to get their content.
--
My Name is Wiley E Coyote, Super Genius

cepnot4me

L0C 1K0
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

I found 2 parts to that.
Problem 1. Canadian content legislation.
These stupid CRTC rules is why radio plays nickelback every 3 songs. It's also why we have so many crap channels. I think canadian content is 60%? 60% of your package has to be canadian programming.

That's why we have like 9 parliament channels.

My neighbor still has Dishnet. If I had 20% of his line up, I'd be fine. Such better options, better programming, better selection. Hardly Any canadian content. ..

cepnot4me

L0C 1K0

Problem 2.

One in 100 canadian programs is decent. Not good.. but not terrible.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to cepnot4me

50% from 6pm till 11pm must be Canadian
So you have an hour of news, some stupid entertainment show for another 30 minutes.

Then you tack on shows like Canadian Idol, or Amazing Race Canada.. it adds up, its sill crap, but it ads up.
--

elitefx

London, ON

Well the REAL problem is how much Rogers CHARGES for cable TV and what EXACTLY they give us for our money.

If Rogers cable was $20 a month nobody would kick up much of a fuss. BUT it isn't.

At least they got the 'TV Like Never Before' line right. Rogers has taken cable TV to an all time new LOW.

Worst friggin' channel lineups on the PLANET.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia

The biggest issue is not the bad lineup, but the protection that the specialty channels get (which ironically are owned by Rogers/Bell/Shaw).

Got a channel about counting widgets? No more allowed. Even though there is an American one. that's far superior in counting widgets.
--

DavePC

join:2013-08-18
Scarborough, ON
reply to elitefx

FWIW, there is a Rogers Cable TV package thats $15.14 a month, called Digital Lite TV.