graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

1 edit

graniterock

Premium Member

FireFall out soon

Old thread was a year old (and unreplyable). Looks like this game is finally coming out July 29 for all but you can get access now if you buy a start pack. The game looks fun but I can't decide if it would get too repetitive or not. I'm curious to know if anyone is currently playing it (I see some people have "Beta tested" it since 2012... what a long development).

Edit:
Interesting pre launch video outlining some of the changes including a pvp continent (no arenas).

»youtu.be/OjaeoDab9aA
graniterock

graniterock

Premium Member

I watched a few hours twitch game play and decided I did want to give a go and bought the starter pack because I have some spare time today and this week. Unfortunately the game insists on 2 step authentication and I'm not getting the emails it requires me to receive to set it up. I'll let you guys know how tech support handles this.

Ryan
Premium Member
join:2001-03-03
Boston, MA

1 edit

Ryan to graniterock

Premium Member

to graniterock
Bleh, unless something drastically changed since the beta I have 0 interest. The netcode felt sloppy and to be honest the game was just boring. I remember hearing about all these reviews stating it was the greatest thing since sliced bread, but at least from my end I just couldn't see the appeal.

There just seems to be a inherit issue with mmo action games such as this and say planetside. I think just due to how fast the gameplay is (or at least should be) getting hundreds/thousands of endusers connected and sharing a fluid experience is very difficult. This usually results in DEV's manipulating netcode so that actions happen in correct order with the varying client response times, but this just makes the action in the game feel delayed.

IDK maybe things have changed a lot since the beta, but to me it wasn't as groundbreaking as the press was making it out to be. It still felt like it retained the same limitations that I experienced as those with planetside 1 years ago..
graniterock
Premium Member
London, ON

graniterock

Premium Member

From what I've read / heard Beta players say, there has been some very significant changes which intensified over the last 6 months. For the most part they seem happy with changes. I haven't really seen any game breaking complaints in game or on the other forums. That said it's not really a planetside 2 and has alot more RPG elements to it.

It is very PvE focused but there is apparently a PvP open world area in which you fight for bases and use the bases to harvest your materials. They got rid of the small arenas. The PvP stuff is very much focused for end game and high level players so I probably won't be able to check it out for a while.

Some have compared it to borderlands (which I've never played). If you're looking for a hardcore shorter or something like BF or PS2 like you will likely be disappointed. I've put 5 hours into it, mostly playing missions and dropping thumpers. I haven't done much crafting and alot of people find the crafting tedious or pointless. But so far I'm having fun. When the missions run out, that will be the true test of it's lasting appeal.

I probably wouldn't have bought the starter pack ($30) and normally would have just waited for it's release date but I have time off this week and wanted something new and interesting to try. Anyone with an account prior to July 8 can play now. The rest either need to wait until July 29 or buy one of the packs.

(Update on my account issue: It turns out my domain host doesn't understand the importance of working white lists. They were able to release the authentication emails to me after I contacted them. For whatever reason they deemed the emails to be spam).

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

Played for a little bit tonight, I noticed some UI changes and some new missions. The gameplay is still as fun. Have to put some more time into it, this game is kind of unique and therefore unintuitive (to me, anyway).
graniterock
Premium Member
London, ON

graniterock

Premium Member

I put about 23 hours into over the last week and had a blast. Universally what is being said is if you checked it out a long while ago and found it bleh it is worth a second look when it comes out F2P on Tuesday.
graniterock

graniterock

Premium Member

In a couple of hours (Sep 21 11 AM Pacific / 2 PM Eastern) Firefall is running an event where the chosen are invading the servers and the developers will be playing as the enemy. Rewards for joining in for at least an hour include 1 week VIP. Apparently they did this in the BETA and it was a blast.

»www.firefallthegame.com/ ··· ffensive

Rogue Wolf
An Easy Draw of a Sad Few
join:2003-08-12
Troy, NY

Rogue Wolf

said by graniterock:

...an event where the chosen are invading the servers and the developers will be playing as the enemy.

And BOY was it disappointing. Spent thirty minutes looking at a map with absolutely no Chosen forces on it at all.

I did get footage of an intense fight right at the end, where a Warbringer dropped practically on top of someone's thumper. My framerate dropped like a rock.
graniterock
Premium Member
London, ON

1 edit

graniterock

Premium Member

I started on on Devil's Tusk and when the event started it was kinda cool. Alarm sounding and the map lighting up red and a developer dressed as chosen and bunny ears jumping high in the air like a rabbit. Lots of wascally wabbit and hunting jokes. But then it died down and too many players concentrated together took the challenge out of it.

So I decided to go to copa and figure might was well level up a frame. It was mediocre game play until the last 20 minutes and a developer showed up. We could only get him down to about 20% health for a good 10 minutes. I pulled out my engineer HKM and that seemed to make the difference. However I was being revived and missed seeming him get killed. But alot of us weren't even sure if he was dead because nothing popped up. And people started whining they didn't get anything for killing him. Fighting the dev was fun and was a challenge. The other 3 hours of play I could have done without.

Overall I do like the game but I could see myself getting tired of it. I enjoyed the initial level up but I can't imagine doing the identical thing 9 times over for the other frames. I also wish my fully levelled frame got some sort of bonus for the XP it is getting but doesn't get to keep the credit for.