join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:11
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed

New Hard Drive

I'm looking at building a new home server, which is also going to be my new file server and I'm wondering what the best hard drive for dollar value is right now? I'm looking at getting either a 3TB or 4TB drive and adding more later as needed.

Between all the options from WD and Seagate, should I consider getting a NAS drive or just go with a WD green or similar? I don't need high performance from the fille server as it's mostly going to be for media and the system that I'm going to use only has Sata2 ports.
--
Opinions expressed are my own, and may or may not reflect those of my employers or any other BCE company or division.

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium
join:2009-03-18
Sacramento, CA
kudos:2

If you plan on leaving the file server on, "Green" drives will save you a few cents on your power bill.

Of course, if price is your sticking point (and brand does not matter), you could go with something like this:

TigerDirect - Toshiba 3TB HDD

While consumer "NAS" drives (such as those from Seagate and WD) are mostly a gimmick, they are better if you plan on doing a RAID setup in the future. The firmware they have is designed to save power, run 24/7, and deal with the workload of running a RAID.

That being said, I have 3 WD Red 3TB drives in my own home server (slash web server slash Plex Media Server slash kitchen sink). They are a little more expensive, but have good reviews. I have not had an issue with mine yet.

Amazon - WD Red 3TB NAS HDD

Now, if you care about brand reliability (some people hate anything that isn't Seagate or WD), then Seagate has the best price/GB.

Amazon - Seagate Desktop 3TH HDD

Lastly, if you really care about brand, don't want to spend a crapton of money on a "NAS" drive, and you want power efficiency, then WD is your best bet.

Amazon - WD Caviar Green 3TB

My personal recommendation is the WD Red drives. They are a little more expensive, but they are designed for home file/media server use. Of course, for a little less, the WD Green drives are not bad either.
--
“Reality doesn't bite, rather our perception of reality bites.” - Anthony J. D'Angelo
»www.chaoticconfused.com

MacGyver
Don't Waste Your Energy
Premium,ExMod 2003-05
join:2001-10-14
Canada
reply to JCohen

If you're installing an OS on the drive, don't get a WD green because of the hard coded spindowns.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to JCohen

Building a file server that keeps its files on a NAS drive seems a little indirect: the so-called 'NAS drive' is a file server (at least if it implements file protocols like SMB and NFS rather than block protocols). So with that scheme you have two network hops from client to file.

JCohen
Premium
Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to MacGyver

said by MacGyver:

If you're installing an OS on the drive, don't get a WD green because of the hard coded spindowns.

I'm going to be installing the OS on a different drive in the server, I'm just looking for storage drives and there is so many option on the market right now that I'm not sure who to go with and what product line to get.
--
Opinions expressed are my own, and may or may not reflect those of my employers or any other BCE company or division.

JCohen
Premium
Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to dave

said by dave:

Building a file server that keeps its files on a NAS drive seems a little indirect: the so-called 'NAS drive' is a file server (at least if it implements file protocols like SMB and NFS rather than block protocols). So with that scheme you have two network hops from client to file.

When I said NAS drive I litterally meant a drive that made for a NAS, like the WD reds or the Seagate NAS models.
--

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8

Ah. Nevermind...

asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium
join:2012-05-09
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to JCohen

As far as the best balance of price, performance without a lot of heat and while avoiding head parking issues with the greens I would get a 3TB western digital red drive.
You don't need the performance or the heat of the blacks. The reds are a nice balance avoiding the downsides of the extremes of going with the green or going with the black.

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
reply to JCohen

My file/media server is running 4 Seagate 4Tb drives, all pulled from their 4Tb external USB 3 enclosures. (Costco had the externals for less than the bare drives) They are set up in RAID 5, with another set in an external RAID enclosure for backup.

My understanding is that due to firmware limitations, the WD Greens don't like running in RAID. I've had no trouble with the Seagates.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1

said by Camelot One:

My file/media server is running 4 Seagate 4Tb drives, all pulled from their 4Tb external USB 3 enclosures. (Costco had the externals for less than the bare drives) They are set up in RAID 5, with another set in an external RAID enclosure for backup.

How much was the Costco deal?

Newegg had a deal recently where they were selling two Seagate 4TB USB 3.0 (Expansion) drives for ~$239 in a bundle deal. So I figured I would try them out. I thought I might pop them out of their cases and install them in my Server 2012 Essentials box but now I am not so sure. Right now I am just backing up some of my shares with them.

I think I'll probably just buy a couple of WD Red 4TB drives rather then remove the Seagate drives from their USB enclosures. However, I can always keep that as an option.

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
Greenwood, IN

I think it was around $129 each.

JCohen
Premium
Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed

Thanks for the all the info guys, I'm likely going to pickup a 4TB WD Red, hopefully they'll go on sale in a little bit.
--

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL
kudos:5

I've been running six 3TB WD Red drives with no issues at all so you should be quite happy with those. I've also been running a collection of 1.5-2TB WD Green drives in RAID 5 (currently RAID 6) with no ill effects, though I did use WD's tool to stop the head parking nonsense.

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
Greenwood, IN
reply to JCohen

said by JCohen:

Thanks for the all the info guys, I'm likely going to pickup a 4TB WD Red, hopefully they'll go on sale in a little bit.

Just keep in mind that as the capacity goes up, so does the amount of data that can be lost to a drive failure. And they do fail. There is no perfect brand or model. RAID is your friend. (mirrored or 5 if you have enough drives) Always good to have some redundancy for that much data.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to JCohen

said by JCohen:

I was thinking the same thing but I am finding it hard to muster the will to pay ~$175 for a 4TB WD Red. I would want two or three.

So perhaps I'll step it down to two or three 3TB WD Red HDDs.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

I have three of the 4TB's, I think they go down to about $139 on sale.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

If the 4TB WD Red HDDs go down to ~$139 I would definitely buy two or three.

My problem is that I have a few older 2TB HDDs in an older server I want to remove and at some time I would like to rebuild the entire server. The drives and the data are fine for now but the time to address such possible issues is before there is a problem if at all possible.

So at this point I kind of consider it somewhat time sensitive. Although I can use the Seagate 4TB USB 3.0 Expansion drives by removing them from their enclosure and installing them in the new server I think I would prefer the WD Red HDDs.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to JCohen

What do people think of this 4TB drive?

HGST Deskstar NAS H3IKNAS40003272SN(0S03664) 4TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" High-Performance Hard Drive for Desktop NAS Systems Bare Drive

The reason I ask is because Newegg has it at ~$174.99 now, like a typical WD Red, but its up for Shell Shocker pricing later today. If this leads to significant saving then I might be interested. Most of the reviews on Newegg are positive for whatever that might be worth. In fact I don't remember ever seeing that many positive reviews for a HDD.

JCohen
Premium
Nepean, ON

Looks like a decent drive, I've got a few 500GB Hitachi drives at home and they've been working well for me.

----

HGST was purchased by WD on March 8, 2012, so this is possibly a re-branded red drive.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

Yeah IMO it looks like a decent 4TB HDD but the Shell Shocker deal only brings it down to $159.99. That's better then ~$175 but not exactly mind bending savings. I would have pounced on it if it were ~$140 or so.

DLow

join:2013-11-16
USA
Reviews:
·Skybeam.net
reply to JCohen

Came to post a thread about basically the same thing but saw this lol

I'm kind of in same boat was looking to find the best user recommended drive for storage on my local PC mainly movies.

Still undecided on the HD for the OS was thinking a WD black

JCohen
Premium
Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by DLow:

Still undecided on the HD for the OS was thinking a WD black

For my OS drive I'm just gonna use one of the drives that I have lying around at home as I've got a couple 320 GB drives just collecting dust right now.
--

asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..

1 edit
reply to DLow

"Still undecided on the HD for the OS was thinking a WD black"

For a pc used for a variety of purposes, if you want a separate OS drive, I would go with an ssd, like an 840 evo samsung.
Otherwise I would just use the same drive as the movies, a red western digital.

Getting a separate black for higher performance doesn't make a lot of sense when an ssd will put you in a completely different ballpark.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to JCohen

Looks like Newegg is selling the following:

Seagate NAS HDD ST4000VN000 4TB for $159.99 using coupone code: EMCYTZG758 (until tomorrow)

And

Combo deal with two external 5TB USB 3.0 Seagate expansion STBV5000100 $319.98

JCohen
Premium
Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed

I generally tend to stay away from Seagate as almost every single Seagate drive that I've ever owned has died, so I usually buy WD.

Also I find Seagate customer service is a PITA to deal with, even when the drives are still under warranty.
--

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

According to this Newegg is selling a WD Red 4TB HDD for $159.99 using the code:
EMCPCHE22

»promotions.newegg.com/NEemail/Ju···d=904749

I have two in my cart now (since last night) with the applied code adding to ~$319.

DLow

USA
reply to asdfdfdfdfdf

What do you think about the Samsung pro ssd drives vs the evos?

asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to JCohen

the pro performs a bit better than the evo but they are both excellent.
If you want to spend the extra money you will get a better drive but it isn't necessary. The evos are excellent value.
Either will be much better than any hard drive, including a raptor.

You don't need to get a big drive for the ssd. 120/128 or 256 is fine. Put your OS and key apps on it.

DLow

USA

Kind of what i thought, So far ive decided to get the samsung evo or pro, a WD green for backups, and a WD red for a massive amounts of you know movies Lol.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to JCohen

I'm pleased with my 500gb EVO so far.

It's even faster than my OCZ Vertex 4