how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TequilaToo

join:2014-07-19
USA

Webmaster frustrated with recently changed DNS settings on website

I've been building a website for a client on a testing server. The site was finally ready, so on Thursday I changed the DNS settings for the domain to point to the new webhost. Now I can't pull up the site, or the Wordpress administration panel for the back end on my computer. I've checked to see that the DNS settings have propagated (they have, according to »viewdns.info/). I've deleted my browser cache and cookies, run the command prompt to flush my DNS cache, re-started the computer, the Hughesnet modem, the network router...still, NOTHING. All I get is a Problem loading page, Can't find server error. I've asked a couple of friends to pull up the site, and some of them can see it, some of them can't. Is there anything else I can do to get access to this site?

gwalk
Premium
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.
Are you sure its a DNS lookup problem and not just a page timeout ?
Try disabling Web Acceleration.

seagreen
Premium,Mod
join:2001-05-14
out there
reply to TequilaToo
You should be able to access the site by using the IP address. Have you tried that?

Are you (or somebody on Hughesnet) the only one(s) who can't get there?
Have you tried »www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

TequilaToo

USA
reply to gwalk
said by gwalk:

Try disabling Web Acceleration

Forgot to mention, I did that.

TequilaToo

USA
reply to seagreen
said by seagreen:

You should be able to access the site by using the IP address

It's shared hosting, so when I put in the IP address, I just get a "Default Parallels Plesk Panel" page saying there is no website at this address.

said by seagreen:

Are you (or somebody on Hughesnet) the only one(s) who can't get there?
Have you tried »www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

I asked a couple of people NOT on Hughesnet to try - one pulled up the site no problem. The other one couldn't. That link says it "just me".

TequilaToo

USA
reply to TequilaToo
I also tried the DNS Propagation checker...»viewdns.info/propagation/?domain···-inn.com. It gives green checkmarks on everything but Oklahoma, USA, which says "timeout".

I also tried it from my Verizon 4G enabled tablet, and it won't pull up from there, either. So it's not totally a Hughesnet issue.

seagreen
Premium,Mod
out there
reply to TequilaToo
said by TequilaToo:

It's shared hosting, so when I put in the IP address, I just get a "Default Parallels Plesk Panel" page saying there is no website at this address.

Ask your host. Even on shared hosting there's a way to access a site before DNS propagates. Usually it's something like h t tp://servername.com/~username or h t tp://IP address/~username

If it's not just Hughesnet I may move this thread over to a different forum better suited to the question.

laserfan

join:2005-01-14
Texas
reply to TequilaToo
Hmmm I started having apparent DNS problems an hour or two ago, which I confirmed first by noting that email worked then by changing my DNS servers to OpenDNS.

Hughes must be having some problems today.

TequilaToo

USA
reply to seagreen
said by seagreen:

Ask your host. Even on shared hosting there's a way to access a site before DNS propagates.

Host said, "viewdns.info cannot realistically claim to speak for every DNS server in the world, while they might have a few servers that are geographically diverse they are surely also all servers that have never before had to serve the DNS for carriage-house-inn.com Therefore in every case they will have to come to us to fetch fresh DNS information which by definition must then be the latest data, so the test appears to have no value at all for a small site such as this.

What you are seeing is the string of devices on the physical route between you and the website, where one or more devices will have cached older information for a period of a day or maybe more. Satellite providers are particularly known for excessive caching to minimize their resource use. That information is not and cannot be queried by viewdns.info." (bold and italics mine)

In any case, another check at »viewdns.info/propagation/?domain···-inn.com showed (Oklahoma, USA) with a green checkmark, which had been showing as a "timeout" before. So once again, I restarted my computer, modem, and network router, deleted my browser cache and cookies, ran the command prompt to flush my DNS cache, and disabled web acceleration. After all of that, the site FINALLY came up in my browser and appears to be working fine.

said by seagreen:

If it's not just Hughesnet I may move this thread over to a different forum better suited to the question.

It may not have been JUST Hughes, but I don't think Hughes was making things any easier. Maybe I just needed to wait longer and it eventually would have come up without jumping through all those hoops. At least I can finish tweaking up the site now. Thanks everyone for all your suggestions.

seagreen
Premium,Mod
out there
Sorry about not being clear. What I meant by "ask your host" was that there is usually another URL that a webmaster can use to access a site before DNS propagates. Whomever hosts your site should have given you that information.