Search similar:

uniqs
tomsage140
join:2014-07-19
Avon Park, FL

1 edit

tomsage140

Century Link Business Internet high speed test but slow speed

Century link has been giving me a hard time with its confusing speed test and its phone support that can't seem to figure out my problem.

It made me do extra work for a 149$ a month phone/internet plan that we pay for that doesn't seem to be working. Our phone line work fine, but our Internet is horrible.

I'll give you the summary.

I do a speed test on 4-5 different site, HTML,Flash speed test all show the range between. 6-9mb down,0.50-0.89 up, 14-32ms.

This would be fine If we were actually getting these speed but we're not. Streaming videos is slow. It takes 10-20 min at night time to watch/stream a 40mb video. Trying to use Connect To My PC(something like Teamviewer) to input in data barely works at night because of slow net disconnecting the connection. I did a test where I downloaded a 50mb video on google chrome. I press J to view my download rate and it clock at 100kb - 200kb so 150kb average. That's only .15mb per sec, I'm suppose to be getting 8mb per sec like speed test say. But I am not, so I tried looking for/removing virus, none to be found. Nothing is eating up our internet. We only use it on the weekend when we're in office. Otherwise we're not there. We have a WPA2 wireless security.

So what is going on? I Called Century Link support during night time.
Basically it went like this,
Me: I'm having internet issues -explain to them my issues in detail
CenturyLink: Everything looks fine on our end. Let me rebuild everything from ground up on our end.

After 10min of them doing that restart modem. Speed Test shown increase in ping and download speed.

I ran my little downloading/streaming test again. Still same if not slower speed.
40-150kb per sec.

They told me there's nothing else they can do. I politely said thanks for the help and kept looking for an answer. When I came across a thread about centurylink throttling people connection. I tried to test this theory trying to bypass the throttling as a test. I use a proxy program to use the net.

My internet speed increase slightly but still made a difference. 40-100kb down per sec during night time became 200kb-300kb down per sec.

This anger me seeing proof that my net does increase through proxy use. I may be wrong but I'm still not happy with this. We're paying 149$ A month for internet and phone. I'ed really hate to disconnect the phone but I have no issues disconnecting from the net and switching to another provider.

I'm looking for a solution if anyone can provide some insight/help would be great.

Edit: Sorry for the poor grammar/spelling I got a headache half way while writing about this. This whole situation is giving me a headache.

Tomsage
@76.1.182.x

Tomsage

Anon

No reply?
gapmn
join:2013-11-10
Saint Paul, MN

gapmn to tomsage140

to tomsage140
What speed tier are you paying for? Please post your modem line stats.
tomsage140
join:2014-07-19
Avon Park, FL

tomsage140

Internet + Web Suite + Phone + Call Manager

INTERNET OFFICE

Prices starting at

a month for 12 months with
3-yr term, speeds up to 12 Mbps**
-----

I'm going to switch to comcast anyways thanks for trying to help.
gapmn
join:2013-11-10
Saint Paul, MN

gapmn

How far are you into your 3yr term are you?