dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
desgnconcpts
join:2003-09-24

desgnconcpts

Chgo/Lakeview: no guide for weeks w/Tivo?+install new modem?

Got 2 things I need help with -- for the past few (3 at least) weeks, the cable guide has not been available. Is this a customer specific issue or area issue? Have tried rebooting things but hasn't helped.

Also -- have a Motorola SB6580 Docsis 3 modem/router that had been working ok. Seems to be flaking out on wireless side so I will likely be replacing it with a separate modem (Motorola SB 6141 docsis 3 modem) and router (Asus RT-AC66).

What do I need to do when I go to replace these things (other than plug in the cables properly). Will the SB 6141 need to be provisioned by just plugging it in? Or is there some online thing I can do when I 1st plug it in? Or, will I have to call -- and if so, will RCN support know what to do with this model?

I have read elsewhere there are many using this model and in my research, this is supposed to be the best 3.0 modem out there. I presume the router should be straightforward (just plug in the network cable to the modem and then set the router up).

Can any of the RCN folks help with these 2 items?

ModemMann
@207.237.82.x

ModemMann

Anon

you have to call RCN support to swap your modem if you own your current modem and plan to buy one retail. I personally prefer the SB6180 as it performs exactly as the SB6141 and only cost $35 on ebay. SB6180 is basically the same as your current 6580 without the wireless. You can go the easy route of just placing your 6580 in bridge mode and getting a new router so you save money and the trouble of calling RCN support.
desgnconcpts
join:2003-09-24

desgnconcpts

Click for full size
Tech Support was fine in helping set things up although the provisioning of the modem definitely didn't take 1st time.

I have the router set up (that was a total breeze) so hoping that separate hardware helps avoid some of the problems in the past.

However, take a look at the attached image from the RCN speedtest. Transmit power is out of spec, nearly 53. All of the wiring inside has not been touched (RCN cabling) and this problem upon install about a yr ago, tech came out and removed a splitter outside to resolve.

Have had this kind of problem in the past and found that it was RCN issue downstream from the building. Can one of the RCN folks take a look?

Thanks!
desgnconcpts

desgnconcpts

Wanted to give a quick shout-out and thank you to RCNMAN and his team. Got an IM from him and he had one of his senior guys give me a call. Got the TiVo guide issue resolved as well as the issue with the specs from the RCN speedtest being out of spec. Was told the local guys in Chicago were dispatched and cleared a tap on the line with resulting specs looking much better.

I will keep an eye on things -- but will say I really like the fact that RCN has real live AMERICANS that care taking care of us (unlike my own personal experience with Comcast and their outsourcing of virtually ALL support functions).

Thanks again RCNMAN --