sammoats
Premium Member
join:2014-02-16
Winchester, VA

1 recommendation

sammoats

Premium Member

CircleNet IPv6 experiment

CircleNet is experimenting with customer facing IPv6 SIP connectivity. If your interested and your equipment is IPv6 capable please feel free to send calls to ipv6.circlenet.us. It's currently experimental and I wouldn't yet recommend it for production

That's all and have a great weekend.
Sam
biomesh
Premium Member
join:2006-07-08
Tomball, TX

1 recommendation

biomesh

Premium Member

Just changed my trunk. I will have to do some testing on Monday.

sammoats
Premium Member
Winchester, VA

1 recommendation

sammoats

Premium Member

Thanks for the traffic guys, we're getting a good sample here on the V6 side and so far everything looks like it's working properly. If all goes well we'll consider IPv6 a production ready and supported feature from CircleNet on 8/2.

I am probably not going to add AAAA any of our existing pop names in order to prevent the chance of breaking some older or non-compliant customer equipment. Instead we'll probably add east6,west6,eu6,asia6 and leave ipv6.circlenet.us as the V6 version of outbound.circlenet.us. For the time being if your V6 enabled please continue to send traffic to ipv6.circlenet.us.

Thanks!
Sam

arpawocky
Premium Member
join:2014-04-13
Columbus, OH

1 recommendation

arpawocky

Premium Member

If you have not already done so, you might want to consider letting the admins of SixXS.net know about your service being IPv6 enabled.

Just a thought.

sammoats
Premium Member
Winchester, VA

1 recommendation

sammoats

Premium Member

Good idea about SixXS.net, so far everything looks like it's working great if we encounter no issues we'll consider it fully ready on 8/2.
sammoats

1 recommendation

sammoats

Premium Member

I hadn't considered the possibility that we might be the first to do this until right now, does anyone else fully support V6 as an ITSP? Now I'm very Curious.
Sam

arpawocky
Premium Member
join:2014-04-13
Columbus, OH

1 recommendation

arpawocky

Premium Member

said by sammoats:

I hadn't considered the possibility that we might be the first to do this until right now, does anyone else fully support V6 as an ITSP?

As far as I am aware, you are the first.
If I am correct, congrats!

sammoats
Premium Member
Winchester, VA

1 recommendation

sammoats

Premium Member

The experiment was a success IPv6 support is now considered in production with CircleNet and fully supported. Happy calling via V6!
Sam
nitzan
Premium Member
join:2008-02-27

nitzan to sammoats

Premium Member

to sammoats
said by sammoats:

I hadn't considered the possibility that we might be the first to do this until right now, does anyone else fully support V6 as an ITSP? Now I'm very Curious.

What's the benefit - if any - of implementing V6? And I'm not talking about network exhaustion and other such issues - I'll leave the ISPs to worry about that - as an ITSP why would we bother with V6 when most equipment doesn't support it, and most users don't know anything about it?

sammoats
Premium Member
Winchester, VA

1 recommendation

sammoats

Premium Member

At this point it's more of a research project than a direct benefit, I want to make sure that we do have our ducks in a row if/when we see IPv6 deployed more widely. Internally we move database traffic and SIP traffic intra-server via V6 just because we can.

The one thing that I did notice and that I think may be a plus is that in most cases customers connecting via V6 did not have a NAT in between their SIP device and our servers. Currently that NAT on the IPv4 side is customer owned and controlled so we can almost always get it to play nicely with our system.

I'm a bit concerned as ISPs begin to start experimenting with carrier NATing their their customer base upstream we will run into problems. If the customers ISP is $largetelco who is also a voice provider they may (ok will) not be motivated to address the issue and if I can provide an avenue for the customer to sidestep the problem it might be a plus.

Sam
nitzan
Premium Member
join:2008-02-27

nitzan

Premium Member

I just don't believe V6 will catch on, honestly. Carrier NATing shouldn't be much of an issue as long as NAT mapping and Keep-Alives are maintained properly. Never say never, of course - it's entirely possible ISPs will botch it up and it becomes a problem for some users.
mikev
Premium Member
join:2002-05-04
Leesburg, VA
·Verizon FiOS
(Software) pfSense
Panasonic KX-TGP600

1 recommendation

mikev

Premium Member

said by nitzan:

Never say never, of course - it's entirely possible ISPs will botch it up and it becomes a problem for some users.

V6 will catch on. It may take a while to get to the point where a majority of internet traffic is IPv6, but it will get there. The ISPs are already working on their plans (Comcast appears to be nearly complete, as they recently announced that 100% of their network is dual-stack). The transit providers all support it. The major CDNs are all IPv6 capable.

The chicken-and-egg game now seems to be between device manufacturers and content/service providers. Take VoIP for example. None of the major VoIP providers support IPv6. As a result, very few phone/ATA manufacturers have needed to add IPv6 support. But since there are so few devices to take advantage of it, none of the providers have added support for it to their services. The same is true in the streaming media (video/music) realm.

CGNAT will happen. It's already being done on the nation's wireless services. Comcast will likely be the next to implement it once they hit a higher IPv6 penetration percentage (they're at 30% right now), so they can try to monetize much of their millions of IPv4 addresses and pick up a little extra revenue. When they make the switch to CGNAT, if I start having problems with my current VoIP provider, I'll immediately be in the market for an IPv6 VoIP phone and be switching to an IPv6-capable VoIP provider.

Cover your bases and open new opportunities... think ahead.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA

1 recommendation

mazilo to nitzan

Premium Member

to nitzan
said by nitzan:

said by sammoats:

What's the benefit - if any - of implementing V6?

I think a more logical question is what are the benefits of keeping the IPv4 in the VoIP world. ATM, I can only think of one benefit, i.e. no IPv6 ATA devices and/or perhaps IPv6 IP Phones are freely available on any local VoIP markets. I can think of at least two benefits of using IPv6, i.e. no NAT issues and more secure. These two alone are real big issues with IPv4 and give a lot of headaches to any VoSPs, let alone waste lots of human resources (= perhaps lost in revenues). However, if you wanna keep your services in IPv4, by all means.