All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Bill042
@75.99.152.x

Bill042

Anon

Moving to second floor of parents house, can I use their cable?

I currently love in my parents basement and use a cable box with their ac counterparts. The tenant living upstairs is moving out and me and my fiancé will be moving upstairs to save some money. The tenant currently has their own cable, but will disconnect the service when they leave.

When I move upstairs, will i be able to just take my current box upstairs and continue to use my parents cable, or do I have to contact cablevision to do something. Or do I have to pay my own cable account? It's the same family, is this ok to do?

Thank you.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

You can have your parents line split to the line upstairs.

If you want to get your own account in your name, you could do that as well.

Boooost
@24.190.186.x

Boooost to Bill042

Anon

to Bill042
You might find that Cablevision disconnects the tenant's drop at the pole.

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

limegrass69

said by Boooost :

You might find that Cablevision disconnects the tenant's drop at the pole.

Right. But with some internal rewiring, OP should be able to get it working.

gambitNJ
join:2012-11-15
Your Mom

2 recommendations

gambitNJ to Bill042

to Bill042
Do your parents know that you love in their basement?

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

Lol
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt to Bill042

to Bill042
If it's not considered a separate dwelling, then I don't see any legal issues. If it is, then it's not permitted by CV.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore

Premium Member

...but really, how are they going to know, unless there's a problem and they have to come to the home?
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt

He asked if it was ok. I could tell him other illegal ways to watch TV, but I figured that I would answer his question.

I missed the first question: Assuming it is legal, you still will not be able to take your existing box upstairs if it's on an account that you are disconnecting. It will be deauthorized. It is not too likely that you will be able to call to have it moved (you would have to get a new box if so) if things are like I remember, but maybe they will be able to do that part, or do it in the WIC.
cowbawx
join:2002-03-04
Lawrence, NY

cowbawx to Bill042

to Bill042
It is legal. He lives WITH his mom, and is MOVING upstairs. That means the upstairs is PART of the downstairs. It's all family. Its like his "room" is upstairs instead of the basement. It's like buying a multiple dwelling house and 1 family occupies the whole house. IMO.
KeyLogger
join:2007-08-08

KeyLogger to Bill042

to Bill042
just tell CV what exactly are you going to do, so they won't disconnect 2nd floor and maybe they will stop sending promo letters to 2nd floor ( but i really doubted it)

i changed address from FL1 to APT 1, once i got 3 promo letters, one is FL 1, one is APT 1, and one without the apartment number.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by KeyLogger:

just tell CV what exactly are you going to do

That's gonna confuse the heck out of them, even though there is nothing wrong with the OP plan.

He's a kid living with his family in his family home. I doubt he's paying rent, and having his fiancee there is irrelevant. Basement or attic is irrelevant too.

No separate account is required. If my kid comes back home, she does not need a separate account.

But if this guy calls CV they will make a big megillah about it and it will turn into a Kafka novel.

Let the sleeping waters be still.
said by KeyLogger:

i changed address from FL1 to APT 1, once i got 3 promo letters, one is FL 1, one is APT 1, and one without the apartment number.

Good, the postal service needs the money.

I get 1-2 letters almost every week from Comcast even though Comcast does NOT even serve my town.
dm145
join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

dm145 to Bill042

to Bill042
Since it is already setup as TWO separate accounts you will not be able to move cable from basement to second floor.

Call to activate new service as if you were new tenant and have own bill.
Or
Have it rewired as one line, either by yourself or Cablevision
Better yet ask Cbablevision to add the second line to your main account.