EU
kudos:3

1 edit

5 recommendations

[Free/Paid] WinPatrol v32.0.2014 released

quote:
July 19th, 2014

WinPatrol v32 from Ruiware

This version marks the start of WinPatrol Generation II and the introduction of Bret Lowry co-found of Ruiware. Bret was software architect and lead at Sunbelt Software responsible for the growth of CounterSpy and VIPRE Business bringing Sunbelt to the top of Anti-Virus comparison charts.
More info and download: »www.winpatrol.com/upgrade.html

hayc59
Im Your Huckleberry
Premium
join:2001-02-26
David R.I.P.
kudos:21

1 recommendation

thank you Bud!!

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA
kudos:8

1 recommendation

reply to Buddel
Got it.

Thanks

hayc59
Im Your Huckleberry
Premium
David R.I.P.
reply to Buddel
Scotty looks kinda cool in 'green'

Buddel
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Premium
join:2004-03-06
EU

1 edit
said by hayc59:

Scotty looks kinda cool in 'green'

I still like the blue Scotty better, but it's definitely better than the pee-colored yellow background.

art22gg
Premium
join:2005-02-16
Courtenay, BC
kudos:6

1 recommendation

reply to Buddel
Thanks Bud...

CCat
We're all quite mad here
Premium,MVM
join:2005-12-06
Wonderland
kudos:18

1 recommendation

reply to Buddel
Updated...Thanks

DownTheShore
Honoring The Captain
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:14
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to Buddel
Does installation of the update remove the data from Program Files (x86)\BillP Studios\WinPatrol?

I see the new update defaults to Program Files (x86)\Ruiware.

Or are we supposed to uninstall the BillP version first?

Don't want to have two versions of the same program running.

Buddel
Premium
EU
Good question. I uninstalled the BillP version first, just to be on the safe side.

KoRnGtL15
Premium
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:1

2 edits
reply to Buddel
I had issues with the install. Windows 8 Pro 8.1 Update 1. I decided to install over the top as I thought it would. Big mistake. You will have 2 different Winpatrol's colliding. You must uninstall the previous version FIRST. Then install the new one. Luckily I was able to uninstall both and it seemed to have gone through. But, on my standard account. WP was not loading at startup. I had to hunt down the .exe and run it. Once it has run. It now starts up every time. My admin. account was fine. Another note when I had the 2 different versions installed. I was not even aware of it until coming to this thread. Under my admin. account. The tray icon was green. But, under my standard account it was the orange color. Another major issue. I have no winpatrol.exe or any thing under my start menu and under metro. All I have is the help file and uninstall. This mess could have been caused by installing over the top. Either way. A warning should have been made about uninstalling the previous version first. Not a good start here at all for this new version and take over. I will test the install on my other Windows 8.1 machine later by uninstalling previous version first. Then install new version and see how it goes. If I get the same results or different. I will report back either way.

P.S. If other users find it weird me mentioning my start button for windows 8. I am using Start8 just to note.

onDvine
Don't Litter. Spay-Neuter.
Premium
join:2005-01-29
So. CA, USA
kudos:9

1 recommendation

reply to DownTheShore
I had to uninstall both the BillP version and the Ruiware version I'd installed over it, then install again to keep the new version. Otherwise when rebooting, it reverted to the previous one.

HA Nut
Premium
join:2004-05-13
USA
reply to Buddel
Thanks for posts about the path changes between the old and new versions. I uninstalled the old one, cleaned up the registry and install folder, rebooted and installed the new one.

All seems fine. I kinda like the green background. All systems go!!

KoRnGtL15
Premium
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:1

4 recommendations

reply to Buddel
Another new version is out that fixes these problems.

WinPatrol v32.0.2014.5

»www.winpatrol.com/upgrade.html

BIGbadjohn
This bad boy stole one of my birds.-
Premium
join:2003-03-05
Ireland
reply to Buddel
The new Scotty is Irish descent

HA Nut
Premium
join:2004-05-13
USA

1 recommendation

said by BIGbadjohn:

The new Scotty is Irish descent

Good one! Made me LOL!

onDvine
Premium
So. CA, USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

1 edit
reply to KoRnGtL15
Click for full size
said by KoRnGtL15:

Another new version is out that fixes these problems.

WinPatrol v32.0.2014.5 ...

After this update to fix problems, it displays the correct version number but my tray icon is blue again. I won't apply this fix to our other computer.

After others have updated, I'd appreciate knowing if tray icons stay green.

Buddel
Premium
EU

1 recommendation

reply to Buddel
The tray icon is still green. Maybe it helps to completely uninstall WinPatrol, and make sure to remove all remaining files (including the old BillP folder and the Ruiware folder) after the uninstallation process. This should fix it.

onDvine
Premium
So. CA, USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to onDvine

In the Start list there are two WinPatrol icons. WinPatrol Explorer is blue and WinPatrol is green. Their properties in the screen snapshots above show the difference.

It's most important to have the right version number but having a tray icon of the correct color (as had briefly last night) would be nice, too. Uninstalled/reinstalled several times with reboots.

Buddel
Premium
EU

1 recommendation

reply to Buddel
I have the same icons in properties, but the tray icon is green.

onDvine
Premium
So. CA, USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to Buddel
Thank you. Was hoping not to have to go through and remove all remaining files in addition to uninstalling, but I guess it's the only way to make it right. After uninstalling in Control Panel (as I did with both BillP and the new one yesterday), will manually pluck it from Program Files, and anyplace else I can find it by searching.

hayc59
Im Your Huckleberry
Premium
David R.I.P.

1 edit

2 recommendations

reply to Buddel
** INFO ONLY**

WinPatrol v32.0.2014.5
July 20th 2014

Thanks to the quick reports from our dedicated fans a new release is available that resolves some errors due to a change to a new default folder. Using a new tool from Ruiware for inspecting registry data and the cooperation of folks in the Landzdown Forum we tracked down some remaining failures in the Delayed Start program list.
Other reports from the first day of downloading indicated some files from the previous BillP Studios folder we not copied to the new folder as planned. In particular, the history.txt was not copied and is useful if a startup program needed to be restored.

WinPatrol runs on Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 systems, including x64 versions.

More Info l Download: WinPatrol 2014
More Info l Landzdown Forum: WinPatrol 2014 Help
--
ãrê ¥Øu êxpêriêncêD
Microsoft® MVP Consumer Security13
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends."
9/11/01 Never Forget
(H59 Clan)

hayc59
Im Your Huckleberry
Premium
David R.I.P.

1 recommendation

reply to Buddel
I must say great help over at Corrines Forum!!
Plus Bret is there to help also

onDvine
Premium
So. CA, USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to hayc59
Thanks for sharing the Landzdown Forum link. A couple of folks there posted about having blue tray icons so it's not just the two systems in our home and I won't search for a way to make them green today. I did update the Vista computer (as a test) and now it's displaying the same blue icon as my Win 7/64.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to Buddel
I'm glad I have learned to only update any software when REALLY needed. If no problems, then don't update (that includes service packs for Windows and things like video drivers).

I'm not updating WinPatrol until all this is straightened out. I still have a yellow Scotty. I have WAY TOO MANY GREEN systray icons. I don't want another one. The yellow is far better than green or blue as it stands out and I have no other yellow icons in the systray.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

aussiedog

join:2007-01-10
Colorado Springs, CO
reply to Buddel

Re: WinPatrol v32.0.2014.5 released

I installed the first update into the original BillP Studios folder. It went smoothly, no apparent problems. This latest update installed into the BillP Studios folder by default.
--
If I can only find my keys...

onDvine
Premium
So. CA, USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

3 recommendations

reply to Buddel

Re: [Free/Paid] WinPatrol v32.0.2014 released

The reason for tray icon color differences is explained by Bill P. here: »www.landzdown.com/winpatrol-help···sg168575

Users can choose blue tiles, green tiles and more.

Buddel
Premium
EU

1 recommendation

Thank you very much for the interesting link, onDvine See Profile. Much appreciated.

hayc59
Im Your Huckleberry
Premium
David R.I.P.
said by Buddel:

Thank you very much for the interesting link, onDvine See Profile. Much appreciated.

Bud join up love to see you there!!

hayc59
Im Your Huckleberry
Premium
David R.I.P.
reply to Buddel
this is cool and thank you Corrine for the info!!
The video below is a nice illustration of the features of WinPatrol, particularly for new users of WinPatrol. Note that some of the features illustrated are only available for WinPatrol PLUS users: the free version of WinPatrol is limited in the "Patrol Time" setting for monitoring for up to 99 minutes. WinPatrol PLUS monitors in real time so notification is immediate. Registry Monitoring, Knowledge Base access and ActiveX control are also WinPatrol PLUS features.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLvALORt···youtu.be

--
ãrê ¥Øu êxpêriêncêD
Microsoft® MVP Consumer Security13
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends."
9/11/01 Never Forget
(H59 Clan)

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-05
Pacifica, CA
kudos:4
reply to hayc59
said by hayc59:

In particular, the history.txt was not copied and is useful if a startup program needed to be restored.

I just checked my installation and the history.txt file was NOT copied into the new folder. I copied it manually, but I still have two versions installed in separate folders. Also there are a few other items in the original folder that did not copy over.

I'm not clear exactly how to proceed from here. All seems to be working as expected and the icon colors are fine. I have a blue-green background that flashes orange when active.

So should I uninstall the old version or just delete the old folder or just live with the two versions as is? TIA.
--
"It turns out we're very good at not seeing things" - Jack Hitt