Search similar:

uniqs

DS256
Premium Member
join:2003-10-25
Markham, ON

DS256

Premium Member

What is the replacement product for Rogers Roger Hub?

During my recent problems obtaining a replacement Hub, no one at Rogers indicated a replacement product. The only thing I see advertised is the Mobile Hot Spot.

I use my Hub at the cottage and use a LAN connection to a POWER Lan to provide Ethernet to a remote bunky. The Hot Spot does not have LAN connections.

What are other customers doing?

Thanks

GM85
Click, Click
join:2002-07-02
Canada

GM85

Have you considered purchasing one secondhand? I checked Kijiji and the Ericsson W35 (4G) can be found for roughly $60 and the ZTE MF28B (LTE) can be found for roughly $100
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to DS256

to DS256
The rocket hub is still offered.

JMarkham
@108.168.16.x

JMarkham

Anon

said by yyzlhr:

It my be still offered, however it's not available anymore with Ethernet ports.
yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

said by JMarkham :

said by yyzlhr:

Yes it is.

DS256
Premium Member
Markham, ON

DS256

Premium Member

My conversation with Rogers yesterday says the Hub is no longer available even though it's on their web site. When I went into a store, they told me to use the mobile hot spot (no ethernet).
yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

said by DS256:

My conversation with Rogers yesterday says the Hub is no longer available even though it's on their web site. When I went into a store, they told me to use the mobile hot spot (no ethernet).

You may have to shop around to find a store that has one. Most stores usually have limited quantities as the Hub is probably one of the least popular products with the highest rate of buyer's remorse.

JMarkham
@108.168.16.x

JMarkham to yyzlhr

Anon

to yyzlhr
said by yyzlhr:

said by JMarkham :

said by yyzlhr:

Yes it is.

Maybe you could go tell Rogers that it's still available? Because when you phone them up it's not available. We tried getting one for out cottage.
ings
Premium Member
join:2004-12-22
Toronto, ON

ings

Premium Member

said by JMarkham :

We tried getting one for out cottage.

Does it have to be a Rogers supplied Hub? Telus sells a Huawei Hub and Bell sells a Netgear Hub. AFAIK they are both unlocked devices so in theory they should work OK with a Rogers SIM once configured properly. I'm sure these two products are available from online vendors too.

I use a Bell Hub (with Ethernet connections) at our cottage. Works fine, I don't understand the buyer's remorse comment above. The mobile data prices are outrageous, but that's orthogonal to whether the Hub works well or not.
yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

It will work as long as it's unlocked.

DS256
Premium Member
Markham, ON

DS256

Premium Member

Just got a call from Rogers. The replacement modem that was supposedly ordered on Sunday has been cancelled. Seems they ordered the next generation of the ZTE modem that will not be available until Aug 1/14.

Will post when this finally resolves itself.
DS256

DS256

Premium Member

Picked up the new ZTE Rocket Hub a little over a week ago.

While they will say the old Hub SIM card can be used in the new model it can't. It's a smaller size SIM. Had to call to activate the new SIM on my existing phone number.

There is only 1 LAN connection which I needed to connect to a POWER LAN that supports the boat house.

Only pain was the LAN IP is setup on 192.168.0.0. My old one was .2.0. Had to change all my fixed IP addressed devices to the new sub-net before I remember that you can change the ZTE. I believe you have to change one of the settings from automatic to manual then some of the other settings can be changed.

Works fine and there is a nice statistics page of current and usage for the month.

This ZTE also has a battery backup likely for the optional phone connection. I use a UPS at the cottage so that's not an issue.
wayner92
join:2006-01-17
Toronto, ON

wayner92

said by DS256:

While they will say the old Hub SIM card can be used in the new model it can't. It's a smaller size SIM.

It isn't clear whether you meant the older or newer device has the smaller SIM but either way you can either use a plastic adapter or just trim a regular sized SIM to a microSIM with an Xacto knife. I have done this in the past so that I can use a trimmed regular sized SIM in either an iPad or with an adapter in a Sierra Wireless Wifi hotspot.

If it is a nanoSIM that you need it is slightly trickier but still doable.

The Geezer
Premium Member
join:2004-12-28
43.3Á

The Geezer to DS256

Premium Member

to DS256
The new ZTE Rocket Hub is battery powered and uses the 700 Mhz band for LTE. The write up that I checked doesn't mention whether you can connect an antenna or not, so I am assuming not. However the new LTE band has a much farther reach, so it is probably not as much of an issue.

I'd like to get my hands on one, except that I am still on contract for the previous ZTE Hub.